Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V8 DOHC Motors, Valve spring compression tool - Factory Tool ?

These special sockets are for the crank pulley & water pump shaft.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Larry it was a factory tool

I asked if Nastasi had any tools left, but he told me they sold most in alarge group. He had all the factory tools for repairs.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Larry,

not sure I fully understand the question...however, if you are in need of the tools listed, they are quite easily fabricated from any quality local source.

Any "good" machine shop can make the tools in the pictures far easier & cheaper than trying to source them thru Lambo

Problem is volume..one offs cost more than mass produced parts...if you need quality one offs my machinist is the ticket! Very reasonable!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JR,

It's not really a question, more of a display of special tools.

One of the Jalpa members e-mailed privately asking for tips/tricks to doing valves. I'm not sure if you have done Jalpa heads but there are no camshaft bearing caps that allow for easy removal of the bumpstick. So, if you do not have the tool it can get pretty tricky to do (IMHO). getting the camshafts & valves out was a process but re-assy was a different matter.

If I did have the valve tool, life would have been easier.
(that's why I posted the pix)

For valve clearance (shim selection):
I actually created a special tool, basically it's a alum bar turned on a lathe to mimic a 1/2 length camshaft with flats on the 2 major journals to clear the shim buckets and the minor OD the represent the lobe lift. I just thought I would start a thread to show some of the "unique" Lambo tools so inquiring mind could see some of them. I bet you got a bunch of them.

this probably will not make sense to most unless they have seen naked Jalpa heads

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hey Larry thanks for posting those images and starting the thread. I am sure I'll understand a bit better once the engine is out. I'll also take a bunch of pictures of the process to share with everyone. Stay tuned this could get ugly. ;)

·
Banned
9 Posts
detour_racing said:
Hey Larry thanks for posting those images and starting the thread. I am sure I'll understand a bit better once the engine is out. I'll also take a bunch of pictures of the process to share with everyone. Stay tuned this could get ugly. ;)

Looking forward to this!! I maybe be getting a Jalpa enigne job during the winter months here in Canada. May be we can work through this together!!! Where are you getting all your spec's and other important info from? Is there an engine manuel available for this car? Do you have a sorce lined up for parts? I figure GT carparts will have most of the stuff I need. I spoke to Bill about it and he said I have to make a complete list of the parts I will need and then fax it to him. He can then find out what is available and what is not.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The posted tool is to hold the valve taps down to remove the shims, it's the same tool as for the Urraco.
Like always in italian manner the tool is worth nothing since you have to remove the carbs on the backside to mount it!
There is another tool for Fiat which is much cheaper and does the job as well.

Biggest problem on the Jalpa Valve Job is the no more availability of the different shim sizes, the diameter is unique to the Jalpa and the Factory has no more (what a surprise...)

You have to have them produced on your own or find an old stock somewhere in the Nirwana of former Lambo Dealers... Finding a blue Mauritius stamp might be easier and more satisfying :mad:

Raymond

1 - 7 of 7 Posts