Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New To the Forum and just received my Aventador in New York (my Avatar). Absolutely LOVE the car and thank Kai at Elite Motorsports for my Fabspeed Exhaust and CF Diffuser Install. HOWEVER, hate the sound system. Absolutely no midrange, poor vocals, and sounds "thin". Is it possible to get an accurate sound reproduction spectrum by replacing the speakers? I'm not into pounding base -just want accurate sound at low to mod-loud volumes. Any recommendations of what will fit in the current speaker housing or who to do the install? Need the sound system for those frequent "stuck in traffic" times in NYC when I can't hear the engine! :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Greetings and salutations and welcome to Lamborghini Talk, GUDNITE! :)
I don't have direct experience, but do know that the stock system...well, sucks. I don't think swapping speakers will do the trick. You might have to change the whole head unit and the speakers...maybe ad an amp in the process too. I've seen a few Gallardo owners go that route (with subs too).

Much like German cars don't have decent cup holders (you shouldn't be drinking and eating in the car, you should be concentrating on driving), Italian cars (Lamborghinis) don't have decent sound systems (because...why would you want to hear anything but the beautiful engine?)! At least, that's how I reasoned it! :p

Someone with direct knowledge will be able to give you specific suggestions (like maybe a new headunit or whatnot) to improving your sound. I, for one, an interested in this topic because I love to listen to music when driving...

Anyways, welcome again. I look forward to your comments and contributions to the Forum! :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've never heard the sound system in an Aventador, but I'm a bit surprised that it would have such a low quality of sound. A nearly half a million dollar car, you'd think that they'd have some decent sounding equipment. Even other manufacturers like GM, Mercedes, BMW have some nice sounding systems in their cars and I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it when designing their cars.

Is the head unit even changeable in the Aventador? Isn't it one big built in screen which is also used for other things including navigation?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,541 Posts
I know the sound systems could be better, but this is the first complaint I've heard from an Aventador owner. I know the 2016 Huracan has a new option for a high end sound system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surprised as well

I've never heard the sound system in an Aventador, but I'm a bit surprised that it would have such a low quality of sound. A nearly half a million dollar car, you'd think that they'd have some decent sounding equipment. Even other manufacturers like GM, Mercedes, BMW have some nice sounding systems in their cars and I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it when designing their cars.

Is the head unit even changeable in the Aventador? Isn't it one big built in screen which is also used for other things including navigation?

BMW, Bentley, Rolls, and Aston all had great sound systems (except 1st generation Continental, later much better). I think that the head unit is basically an Audi A4 integrated in a MMI system with navigation and climate control bundled together that works pretty well except for the stereo. Not sure an amp will help (I don't fully understand audio) as the mid-range vocals almost "disappear" even at lower sound volumes despite messing with the base and treble. Fabspeed exhaust did make me forget the sound system (at least for a few days... :( )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah mostly all oem system suck. Only thing is good these days are the interface(headunit or infotainment system) Same issues the Ferrari guys have with cars. They paid the extra $5k for the HI-FI system that didnt sound any louder then the base system. So rule of thumb, never buy the oem upgraded sound system unless your buying a RR. They way they are designing the system now, you cant take out the headunit since everything in the car is all integrated. Just swapping speaker do not work as well since the factory amp has processing going on which outputs certain eq signals to the speakers. What you will need to fix your sound woes are a DSP, Amplifier new speakers( component set). Since you would be using a DSP you can run the speakers active by internally setting cover point through the dsp. there is a great dsp/amplifier I use a Helix Amplifier with a built in DSP. Which is pretty small in size that will power an entire system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Advice Thanks

Yeah mostly all oem system suck. Only thing is good these days are the interface(headunit or infotainment system) Same issues the Ferrari guys have with cars. They paid the extra $5k for the HI-FI system that didnt sound any louder then the base system. So rule of thumb, never buy the oem upgraded sound system unless your buying a RR. They way they are designing the system now, you cant take out the headunit since everything in the car is all integrated. Just swapping speaker do not work as well since the factory amp has processing going on which outputs certain eq signals to the speakers. What you will need to fix your sound woes are a DSP, Amplifier new speakers( component set). Since you would be using a DSP you can run the speakers active by internally setting cover point through the dsp. there is a great dsp/amplifier I use a Helix Amplifier with a built in DSP. Which is pretty small in size that will power an entire system.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, but I assume DSP means digital signal processor (all new to me). But what do you mean by running the speakers active by internally setting cover point through the DSP? If I get new speakers, can I configure the original speakers to work through this DSP/amplifier? Is an equalizer needed? I'll look into the your Helix rec. Thanks again. :wave:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the words of wisdom, but I assume DSP means digital signal processor (all new to me). But what do you mean by running the speakers active by internally setting cover point through the DSP? If I get new speakers, can I configure the original speakers to work through this DSP/amplifier? Is an equalizer needed? I'll look into the your Helix rec. Thanks again. :wave:
Yes a DSP is a digital signal processor. The processor would go inline between the factory headunit system and aftermarket amplifier. The helix model I suggested, is an dsp and amplifier in one. Since you have to use a DSP unit on newer cars these days it better to take advantage of going active. Active is when you don't use passive crossover in a set of 2 way or 3 way component set. Instead through the DSP you would set the crossover points. which is called active crossovers which are set digitally through a laptop. which also include 30-ban EQ, time alignment, phase, on all 8ch to correct the oem signal and sound stage. DSP has You would need to upgrade your speakers, the oem speakers are the culprit. also oem amplifier is just as bad since most of them have a dsp built in. Reason why just upgrading speakers in newer cars just make the system sound worst in most premium sound systems. Because the amplifiers the manufactures use are under powered and has a dsp built in them. They are tuned to the factory cheap speakers not Allowing speakers blow at high volumes. For space saving the Helix p six dsp works great as it has a class-D full range amplifier built inside. which has 120w x 6 ch and then 2ch output for adding another amp for subwoofer when doing a 3 way component active up front and sub on the 2ch output. Or run 2way active front on ch 1-4 and ch 5-6 for the sub. Then no need for another amp for sub. Price range is 1300 for the unit, which is not bad since your getting 2 products in one. A dsp unit alone is around $750-1000 depending on the brand and model you get. A good 5ch or 6-channel amplifier is $800+ So if helix work great if you don't want separate pieces of equipment and don't want to lose a lot space.

HELIX P SIX DSP MK2

This is a Porsche 911 turbo build I did this past year. This has an active 3 way component system in the front and a 12" subwoofer in the rear. Using a Mosconi 6to8 DSP for processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n-u2pFI0LQ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
2 vs 3-way component system

Yes a DSP is a digital signal processor. The processor would go inline between the factory headunit system and aftermarket amplifier. The helix model I suggested, is an dsp and amplifier in one. Since you have to use a DSP unit on newer cars these days it better to take advantage of going active. Active is when you don't use passive crossover in a set of 2 way or 3 way component set. Instead through the DSP you would set the crossover points. which is called active crossovers which are set digitally through a laptop. which also include 30-ban EQ, time alignment, phase, on all 8ch to correct the oem signal and sound stage. DSP has You would need to upgrade your speakers, the oem speakers are the culprit. also oem amplifier is just as bad since most of them have a dsp built in. Reason why just upgrading speakers in newer cars just make the system sound worst in most premium sound systems. Because the amplifiers the manufactures use are under powered and has a dsp built in them. They are tuned to the factory cheap speakers not Allowing speakers blow at high volumes. For space saving the Helix p six dsp works great as it has a class-D full range amplifier built inside. which has 120w x 6 ch and then 2ch output for adding another amp for subwoofer when doing a 3 way component active up front and sub on the 2ch output. Or run 2way active front on ch 1-4 and ch 5-6 for the sub. Then no need for another amp for sub. Price range is 1300 for the unit, which is not bad since your getting 2 products in one. A dsp unit alone is around $750-1000 depending on the brand and model you get. A good 5ch or 6-channel amplifier is $800+ So if helix work great if you don't want separate pieces of equipment and don't want to lose a lot space.

HELIX P SIX DSP MK2

This is a Porsche 911 turbo build I did this past year. This has an active 3 way component system in the front and a 12" subwoofer in the rear. Using a Mosconi 6to8 DSP for processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n-u2pFI0LQ
The Helix completely makes sense. Can any good installer "tune" the Helix, or should it really be a Helix distributor? Since I like clarity and purity of sound (not blaring) and most of my music relies on vocals, am I correct to think a 3-way would be better given the additional mid-range? Also, since I like tight, precise base, I thought a single 10" sub would be sufficient. Since tweeters take so little amplification, could you split one channel for both tweeters and have one channel for the single sub? For components, trying to decide between DLS Ultimates, Hertz HSK's, and CDT audio-es-gold, vs going up to focal 165 krx3's or dynaudio esotec systems. As for the subs, heard the focal p25f was great, but "more common" subs like kicker comp vx, cerwin-vega pro, JL audio 10tw3, and PIONEER TS-SW2502S4 all seem to also get great reviews. Are these subs really fairly similar since the low frequency range is minimal? Thanks again for your expertise! (and anyone else's expertise who replies)

·
Registered
204 Posts
All great info. For speakers may I suggest a few things. I would look at Morel mids for the car and use a JL TW3 for sub. With the Helix piece suggested above you could use passive crossover on the midrange/tweet and power the mid bass on its own. Then leave the rear two channels to bridge and handle the subwoofer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Helix completely makes sense. Can any good installer "tune" the Helix, or should it really be a Helix distributor? Since I like clarity and purity of sound (not blaring) and most of my music relies on vocals, am I correct to think a 3-way would be better given the additional mid-range? Also, since I like tight, precise base, I thought a single 10" sub would be sufficient. Since tweeters take so little amplification, could you split one channel for both tweeters and have one channel for the single sub? For components, trying to decide between DLS Ultimates, Hertz HSK's, and CDT audio-es-gold, vs going up to focal 165 krx3's or dynaudio esotec systems. As for the subs, heard the focal p25f was great, but "more common" subs like kicker comp vx, cerwin-vega pro, JL audio 10tw3, and PIONEER TS-SW2502S4 all seem to also get great reviews. Are these subs really fairly similar since the low frequency range is minimal? Thanks again for your expertise! (and anyone else's expertise who replies)
Any good audio shops with experience setting up DSP with good tuning skills should be able to setup the Helix dsp. Not really different the other dsp.
Yes 3-way components will give you the best staging for great sound quality.
The midrange would do most of the work(400hz-4000khz), which allows the tweeter to focus on 4khz and up and midbass @75hz - 400hz. Yep, you could use the sub on ch 5&6 if you want. Also the helix has an 2 ch out to add another amp to run a subwoofer and give you tuning. If you run the tweeter and midrange passive on the front ch you wont have the adjust ability like running them active. DLS and dynaudio would be my pick out of those, if those were my only option. Hybrid Audio Technologies is also a great SQ brand on the same level. The HAT Legatia SE speakers are also on that level. depends on location of the installation and tuning is what going to be the big factor on how great the system will sound. I heard the focal p25f subs are pretty good. I wouldn't do kicker subs, just seem cheaper quality to me. They are not considered a SQ audio subwoofer. As well as the others listed, they wouldnt match up and blend well with a higher-end front stage. these subs are on the lower end of small subwwofers. I would check out the HAT Clarus 10" sub or cheaper option Image Dynamics IDQ10 also. The clarus subs are up there in price but are on the level of the higher-end subs like Morel Ultimo, Dynaudio and illusion audio ect..
Stage VI - Legatia SE - The Home of the World's Finest Loudspeakers, and World Championship Car Audio Speaker Systems.

Subwoofer

Stage IV - Clarus Subwoofers - The Home of the World's Finest Loudspeakers, and World Championship Car Audio Speaker Systems.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,541 Posts
It's hard to believe that the sound system isn't equal to the value of the car. I guess they really need some factory options to upgrade the entire system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's hard to believe that the sound system isn't equal to the value of the car. I guess they really need some factory options to upgrade the entire system.
Yep it sad to say that you would think if you bought an exotic or luxury vehicle, the sound system would be up to par with the vehicle. But I have seen many time sound system are an after thought when designing and building vehicles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sound advice

Yep it sad to say that you would think if you bought an exotic or luxury vehicle, the sound system would be up to par with the vehicle. But I have seen many time sound system are an after thought when designing and building vehicles.
Just wanted to comment to forum members that Lambo79 knows stereo systems better than anyone else I know. Absolutely spot-on suggestions and also HAT supplier. Also, Infamous Murcielago is doing my install in New York and crafts everything, even custom fiber! Will be posting some pics as the work gets completed! These are the dudes to go to... :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Playback Options

Hi

Just received my car yesterday and this model is stunning!

I'm an audiophile and want to explore what options I have. Per the manual it looks like only mp3 and wma files can be played using your cell phone, or SD micro cards or an Ipod. Both of these formats are high compression and not an option for me.

The DVD will play DTS tracks - however it seems to choke on homemade DTS discs. Not sure what causes this, but never had a problem with DTS discs on another Audi MMI system I own.

I really dont want to bother with regular CD's anymore.

Is there any way to play 24/96 (or 16/44) stereo Wave or Flac files?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts