Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded my Mustang for a stack of cash this weekend, so now I’m looking at whether I stick with my original desire of a Gallardo or a convertible C8? As much as I’m tempted by a new C8 with none of the problems a Lambo has, (and a warranty) I know in 6 months they’ll be everywhere. A Gallardo while not exactly rare, isn’t seen around here every day to say the least. Not to mention the unique cool factor of Lamborghini a Corvette will never have. I’ve always wanted a Lamborghini, and until the C8, never really considered owning a Corvette. (Except my 1964 years ago) Any thoughts on this subject?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Before finding my Gallardo Superleggera I was very close to ordering a 2020 GT350R Shelby Heritage Edition OR the C8. I obsessed back and forth and decided on the Super G. For a "similar price" The Gallardo has an exhaust note that no corvette will ever have. I love the exhaust on the Shelby but there is no substitute for the V10 HOWL of the Pre-LP G.
The Lambo evokes a real reaction out of people. Something that my Saleen's or other muscle cars never did.

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
510 Posts
Was an easy decision for me. I had been holding out to see whether the C8 looked & sounded “exotic” enough at its debut.

Nope. Still has too much GM stink on it.

Thus, a well-sorted, iconic Gallardo was absolutely a no brainer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but being new to this, what common problems do 2nd gen Gallardo's have? Oh yeah, go with a Lambo, even though the Vet seems cool, they will be everywhere, and in a few years you'll probably be able to pick one up for 25-30k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Before finding my Gallardo Superleggera I was very close to ordering a 2020 GT350R Shelby Heritage Edition OR the C8. I obsessed back and forth and decided on the Super G. For a "similar price" The Gallardo has an exhaust note that no corvette will ever have. I love the exhaust on the Shelby but there is no substitute for the V10 HOWL of the Pre-LP G.
The Lambo evokes a real reaction out of people. Something that my Saleen's or other muscle cars never did.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
75 Posts
I’d been debating similarly for a while. After all kinds of debate about performance, sound, looks, uniqueness etc I pulled the trigger on a TT Gallardo. Crazy thing is when it was delivered yesterday there was a 2020 C8 behind it in the trailer.
So, I’m biased of course, but I don’t regret my decision. Not one bit. Side by side, both are cool cars. However, the front of the vette reminded me of the Evora I decided not to go with (kind of soft), whereas the Gallardo looked and sounded like it wanted to rip your throat out. Pics might not do it justice but the Gallardo just looks special to me, whereas the vette reminded me a little too much of a body kit on a Camaro.
Listening to them was also night and day. Of course the G was piped and turboed but given how it sounds at idle and low revs I can’t imagine hearing it at 8000 rpm. I’m not sure the vette will ever match it for sound.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,201 Posts
I think the OP answered his own question. He is comparing apples to oranges.

Reactions: mcomet and DXM31

·
Registered
431 Posts
2 guys drinking at a bar - one says "I own a Corvette" - the other says "I own a Lamborghini" - who do you think has more kudos?
When I take my Lambo to the gas station, it's an "event" (Gallardo 2004), don't know of ANY other car that can do that unless you spend >$A1.0m.......... BUT you really ARE on the wrong forum for an unbiased opinion.
Get a Gallardo that hasn't been raced, get a Kline valvetronic inconnel exhaust and you will thank me forever. It even sounds better than my 2016 AV I also have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the OP answered his own question. He is comparing apples to oranges.
True. Just wanted to see what others thought. Pretty much what I figured, As good as the C8 is, and the value that it also is, I choke at 90k for a Corvette, but don’t choke on 90k for a Gallardo. Lamborghini’s are dream cars, Corvettes aren’t.

·
Registered
928 Posts
... He is comparing apples to oranges.
That's what I thought when the OP came up. Who cross shops a Lamborghini and a Vette??? Well I guess some do. I have driven every generation from C1 to C7 and I have never thought "I got to get one of these". Usually it's like "dude you should drive my Vette", how do you say no thanks to that? At that point you have to and think of something nice to say afterwards. Oh and "It drives like my truck", turns out, is not a nice thing to say.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Honestly... Corvette and Lamborghini should not be used in the same sentence.

Damn. I just did it.

Reactions: Russk and REKIII

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I would recommend seeing each in person and if possible taking them for a test drive. Pictures and stats can only tell you a small part of what the cars are like. Seat time is the best way to decide, I think.

I will never forget one of the die hard Lamborghini owners on this site. He was one of the biggest advocates for Lamborghini ever. Hard core owner and enthusiast. Went to the dealer to decide between a couple Lamborghini cars he had his heart set on. Bought a Ferrari..... We were all like "What?!.... You of all people!?" He said he decided to take one on a drive just for fun, fell in love and went home with a Ferrari.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just picked up an 07 G and some people asked me the same question about choosing a C8. If I was going to daily, I'd probably pick a C8 (personally I think the c8 is ugly). I was using a 17 NSX for my daily, but have now switched to a Tesla for my daily and the G for my weekend. That's perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,201 Posts
2 guys drinking at a bar - one says "I own a Corvette" - the other says "I own a Lamborghini" - who do you think has more kudos?
When I take my Lambo to the gas station, it's an "event" (Gallardo 2004), don't know of ANY other car that can do that unless you spend >$A1.0m.......... BUT you really ARE on the wrong forum for an unbiased opinion.
Get a Gallardo that hasn't been raced, get a Kline valvetronic inconnel exhaust and you will thank me forever. It even sounds better than my 2016 AV I also have.
I love this post, I couldn't have said it better if I tried. Even when I owned a nice Porsche, no one ever asked me what I do for a living, drive a Lamborghini and you get that question all the time.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That's what I thought when the OP came up. Who cross shops a Lamborghini and a Vette??? Well I guess some do. I have driven every generation from C1 to C7 and I have never thought "I got to get one of these". Usually it's like "dude you should drive my Vette", how do you say no thanks to that? At that point you have to and think of something nice to say afterwards. Oh and "It drives like my truck", turns out, is not a nice thing to say.
C8's will be a dime a dozen in 1-2 years. I see them on the street, nothing special. From certain angles it looks like a kit car. Would never ever contemplate going from my Huracan to a C8. Wouldn't contemplate going back to a GT3 either.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Its like this. The Corvette is the cute girl next door. The Gallardo is the leggy supermodel that wears a thong under everything. Sure she went through a divorce but she is still a supermodel everyone dreams of. How many corvettes motivate people to race through traffic just for a look and maybe a thumbs up and a picture. I know I cant be THAT good looking. Driving one is always worth 50 smiles per hour. I think all the positive input is really great in a world full of hate and cynicism. It always puts me in a good mood when I drive either one. THAT is worth more than anything. (I guess I just have a weak spot for thongs) Lee

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,208 Posts
That’s Lee, at it again putting a smile on all of our faces! But so true.

you’ve heard it said above there is zero comparison between a Gallardo and a Corvette in terms of the luxury and exotic nature. That said, from a practical perspective you want to budget for fixing and mechanical costs as the Gallardo is going to cost you a lot more per hour and parts, if that is a concern. The Gallardo also will not depreciate anywhere close to what the Corvette will in these next couple of years. So, if math and dollars are a concern to you, get a lower mileage and well cared for Gallardo and the smiles and sound and looks will be unbeatable, and for that matter you may exit the car in two or three years for a profit or certainly not much depreciation. The same will not be true for your Corvette. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up an 07 G and some people asked me the same question about choosing a C8. If I was going to daily, I'd probably pick a C8 (personally I think the c8 is ugly). I was using a 17 NSX for my daily, but have now switched to a Tesla for my daily and the G for my weekend. That's perfect for me.
How do you compare the Tesla to the G? They seem like complete opposites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts