Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

is anyone familiar with these sounds?

When cold you hear a shark continues noise when steering (full lock). After a wile knocking noises are added.

After 40 minutes drive all the noises seem gone.

I created a video just before the noises where gone (worst part)

Any idea?

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,597 Posts
Is your car two wheel or four wheel drive? Does this happen when you are turning only or also driving straight, hard to tell from your video.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like a worn ball in a CV joint. The sound is something is popping in and out of it's socket, also check steering components like ball joints, tie rods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your car two wheel or four wheel drive? Does this happen when you are turning only or also driving straight, hard to tell from your video.
It's a four wheel drive and when I drive straight the issue is gone except I hear one knock when I shift up but maybe that is normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a worn ball in a CV joint. The sound is something is popping in and out of it's socket, also check steering components like ball joints, tie rods.
The strange thing is that I drive a bit longer the problem is completely gone. So my first thing to do is I guess a front and rear diff oil change?

·
Registered
264 Posts
If it is a CV joint you will probably only hear it when turning not when going straight (when you shift and hear a clunk-that's a different noise and probably normal). You can climb under the front of the car (using a jack to lift) and have a look at both front wheels-see if the rubber boots covering the CV joints are torn - that would lead to a loss of packing grease which would eventually cause the knocking sound. If they are torn that is likely your issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The strange thing is that I drive a bit longer the problem is completely gone. So my first thing to do is I guess a front and rear diff oil change?
It has nothing to do with an oil change. Jack the front end of the car and wobble each wheel for any play, have an assistant look underneath when you rock the wheel up and down and left to right.

Also someone mentioned spacers, did someone play in the axles/bearings and put too much grease?

·
Premium Member
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
590 Posts
I had a similar situation happen on my car once when the lug nuts were not completely tightened down when using spacers. Check your lug nuts and the torque settings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a similar situation happen on my car once when the lug nuts were not completely tightened down when using spacers. Check your lug nuts and the torque settings.
I have some spacers, I refitted the rims a few times but the problem remains. strangely the noise will go away once I drove 45minutes.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,597 Posts
OP, if you are driving straight and there’s no noise but you turn and there is a noise this tells me one of two things: CV axles or wheelbearings. If you’re driving straight and it goes away after 45 minutes I don’t know what to tell you; that is odd. Jacking the car up and shaking the tire back-and-forth as TopCarbon said will tell you if there is wheel bearing or CV joint play. Other than that, you may need a mechanic to look at this.

·
Premium Member
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
590 Posts
Also tighten those lug nuts as I suspect your lug nuts may be loose. They will not make the able sounds under high speed but will at low speed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's a four wheel drive and when I drive straight the issue is gone except I hear one knock when I shift up but maybe that is normal.
Mine does it slightly too. Maybe not that much tho. Its called binding due to the 4 wheel drive apparently. I got all my fluids changed which def reduced the sound. I believe Jaguar trans fluid removes it completely but I opted for the oem spec in the end Try doing a search you should find it ok

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
06 Gallardo Making Noise when Turning | Lamborghini Talk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts