Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.....as a new Lambo Murcielago LP640 owner and a Ferrari owner, the recent conversions for the 599 and other Ferraris from auto manual to a three-pedal car is real and not that insane cost-wise. Has anyone done an E-Gear to manual three-pedal? Is the cost worth it and how easy is it completed? The Murcielago once came in a three-pedal from the factory and is now soaring in value with no upper limit in sight. DDE , a You Tuber, recently aired values of $500,000 and north for these cars.
Value is not my thing at the moment, but the fun of shifting and not having consistent reverse kinks with the E-Gear could have merit.
Is anyone interested ????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Driftworks on YouTube have documented their conversion of a LP640.

Theoretically it should be simple as it is already a manual transmission with e-gear bolted to it. Here is a parts list.

Love to see this stuff. I am busting my knuckles doing transmission and diff fluid changes now on 2004 e-gear.

·
Registered
LP640
2,219 Posts
The 360/430/575/599 conversion is very simple. The Murcielago on the other hand is complex. It can be done, but there are a significant amount of hardware components needed from manual cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at Chucklehead's post and parts list, that is just not practical or less than insane. Has someone modified the e-gear to allow faster shifting and reliability for reverse? How about swapping out a later Lambo seven or eight speed from Huracan or????? The e-gear in the 2008 is not worth of the car and needs to be addressed. I am not sure how but change is needed.
Any help is appreciated. What happened to the good old plain six/seven speed found in the older cars/Corvettes/Porsche......?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I did communicate with a guy on facebook that pulled off a true manual conversion versus the clean-slate approach of driftworks.

He said it took a very long year to do, and he was clearly traumatized by it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What up- grades , if any , have been done to the e-gear to enable faster shifting and a better reverse response? Seem that Lambo engineers have made the conversion to a manual not economically feasible. I was hoping that some creative shop would have tackled this as have been accomplished on the Ferraris. Spending around $12-15,000 is feasible; not more.
What I am not understanding is that Lambo has made manuals.....why not replicate their efforts with aftermarket?

·
Registered
858 Posts
My question is why did you buy this car? I guess during your test drive you figured out e-gear is not for you. Even if you bought a donor transmission, It would not be anywhere close to $15k to get it installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it because it looks and sounds great! I think the weak link is the trans and I am going to either get someone to modify the trans (E- Gear) or do a three pedal. I have many cars /motorcycles in my collection and find that each has some way of improving:)/modifying for my own likes/tastes.
I am not asking anyone else to do changes ; just inquiring to see if others have felt the same or have actually done it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know of any company that makes a well sorted e-gear ECU update and would be weary of anyone selling one. Engine ECU tuning is not terribly difficult but transmission ECU calibration is much more involved. It is easy just to shorten shift times but this comes at a huge stress to the gearbox and clutch (which is already fragile and marginal).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the Forum have any contact (s) within Lamborghini corporate that may be able to better address the clutch issues and , in general, the e-gear. These guys designed the unit maybe they can add to the field with recommendations or ????
I visited the factory about 12 years ago and was very impressed with the people and their attitudes. A great team working within the corporate structure that probably can add to this discussion.
Many of the Porsche people get together as stated and move the marque with betterment as each model evolves. I am sure that Lambo is doing like.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Does the Forum have any contact (s) within Lamborghini corporate that may be able to better address the clutch issues and , in general, the e-gear. These guys designed the unit maybe they can add to the field with recommendations or ????
I visited the factory about 12 years ago and was very impressed with the people and their attitudes. A great team working within the corporate structure that probably can add to this discussion.
Many of the Porsche people get together as stated and move the marque with betterment as each model evolves. I am sure that Lambo is doing like.
12 years is a long time ago. From what I have heard, Lambo has made a u-turn in terms of their enthusiasm for supporting older models since then.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Agreed Lamborghini has changed a lot in the past decade. Polo Storico (their 'classic' department) is a joke that outsources all the work and merely trades on the name. Their restorations are far from accurate. Almost all of the people that were there in the Murcielago era have retired or moved on and that knowledge has gone with them. Lastly the factory is only required to support parts for 10 years after manufacture and many Murcielago items are now NLA.

Thinking that the factory will help you with just about anything that does not have a huge cheque attached to it is a pipe dream

·
Registered
LP640
2,219 Posts
You can get an aftermarket TCU tune for faster shifts and better engagement from RSC.

It's not realistic to think that $15k will come close to the actual cost of a conversion. Especially if you're paying someone to do it. To put it in perspective, the clutch replacement alone (along with replacement of ancillary consumables) by an independent shop will easily eat over half that amount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey White out, thanks for the info! I have wrenched for nearly 50 + years as a hobbyist. I do have a lift, tools, etc. to attempt to do it myself. I have completed a F355 engine/trans drop on my Ferrari.....always taken as a challenge but it was very straight forward. I have seen the Murcielago engine/trans pull on You Tube....( https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lamborghini+murcielago+engine+removal
does not seem to be that bad.
Since I would do considerable detailing while out, it would be advantageous to be completed in my home shop.
Very discouraging to hear that Lambo Corporate has changed so much. That was a clear advantage to me and my wife in our tours of the plants (Ferrari/Lambo and Ducati) made us feel like family and that they truly cared.
White out: the clutch replacement number you pose is correct in the eastern Pa. area I am in....shop rates are reasonable for independents at around $90-95 per hour. I may use John @ CB Foreign Cars for all ;he is excellent and has considerable experience.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Very discouraging to hear that Lambo Corporate has changed so much. That was a clear advantage to me and my wife in our tours of the plants (Ferrari/Lambo and Ducati) made us feel like family and that they truly cared.
Don't misunderstand, I have heard they are still very welcoming and very kind at the factory. It's just that they have made some business decisions under the behemoth that is Volkswagen not to spend a lot of time and money supporting the older models. It will be a problem in the future with parts, and hopefully 3rd party vendors will find ways to provide parts that Lambo does not. It's not unusual. I have a 65 E-Type, and I can get any part I need for that car, but none of them come from Jaguar.

I think entering the high volume SUV market, and pumping out tons of Huracans and Aventadors compared to the 4,000 or so Murci's makes the financials of spare parts and support for older models insignificant and uninteresting to their business. And I bet VW wanting to make Lambo a public company and needing to clean up balance sheets for that purpose has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let's hopr that that is noty the case! Surely the mangement is not that lame to think that the "older" autos are not owned by many that will in turn buy newer autos or other affiliated company's cars. Your point with the "E" type is noted. The aftermarket will propbably do more to assure competitive pricing and also introduce substitutible products. The Murcie owners can push these decisions somewhat by cross referencing parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry....spelling is not corrected above.

Let's hope that that is not the case! Surely the management is not that lame to think that the "older" autos are not owned by many that will in turn buy newer autos or other affiliated company's cars. Your point with the "E" type is noted. The aftermarket will probably do more to assure competitive pricing and also introduce substitutable products. The Murcie owners can push these decisions somewhat by cross referencing parts.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sorry....spelling is not corrected above.

Let's hope that that is not the case! Surely the management is not that lame to think that the "older" autos are not owned by many that will in turn buy newer autos or other affiliated company's cars. Your point with the "E" type is noted. The aftermarket will probably do more to assure competitive pricing and also introduce substitutable products. The Murcie owners can push these decisions somewhat by cross referencing parts.
you can click the 3 dots in the upper right of your message and then select Edit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Stimpy! I know a little about wound healing but computers........not a friend!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts