Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having searched the search function here, I see Rayman, Lamarcc, Mikael, Borgmann, Sledge and a few others have tackled side mirror repairs. I noticed this weekend my driver side mirror is slightly out on the top (see pic). In my understanding of the parts diagram and your posts it appears the likely cause is the top spring has lost its spring tension and/or the mounting bracket is broken or is breaking. it still has plenty of tension but just does not look like it is seating all the way in like the bottom one or like my passenger side mirror.

Can this be adjusted without taking mirror assembly off? Do you suggest popping mirror off but leaving the assembly on? Or removing whole assembly to refurb it? Much thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
One of the the 2 springs has stretched.

A mirror repair kit is available - I got one from bull parts in 2014 for $200. Factory was quoting $1000.
It consists of 2 springs, 2 steel tubes, a replacement motor and mirror glass.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i dont see how the springs can stretch, they are pretty damn robust.

i can see how they could break at hte mounting points (mine did).

do you have tension in that top spring? or can you tell?

·
Registered
411 Posts
my top spring was definitely stretched, and hanging a lot lower than DiabloClyde's.

They are designed to bend when you hit pedestrians, so I can only presume the previous owner hit something.
However as the back of the car is so much wider, it wouldn't be long before the back of car was impacted too :-(

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not hit anything on the mirror and my clear wrap shows unscratched too, so either my kids hit it walking around in the garage or it could have just internally given way. I’ll pop the mirror off and have a look.

·
Registered
411 Posts
mine was sagging, and showed no sign of damage, however the spring was stretched - maybe someone just pushed the mirror back a long way and stretched it perhaps ?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems Geno was right: it was out of joint a bit and stuck on the black rubber gasket bushing thingy (part #2 in the above diagram). Must have been bumped in the garage. That said, the mirror has always been 'looser' than the passenger one and needs adjustment more often than the other. I am too anal to not pull it all apart and do it up again :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts