Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put my 2013 50th Anniversary edition Gallardo Spyder up for sale a couple of weeks ago. My asking price is $139,995, which I think is a very fair price (and maybe a bit low), but hey, I'm selling it as a private owner and not a dealer so I figure it probably needs a private seller discount, especially since someone who buys it from me would not get the tax benefit of a trade in. So today I received a text from a woman asking if I have the service records. It's her only question in the text. The answer to that question of course is absolutely - they are all in order and scanned to a single pdf file for easy emailing. So I email it off. Within 3 minutes of getting my service records she offers me $130,000 for the car and tells me she buys used cars for a local BMW dealer. My BS meter is already on high alert given all the stories I've heard from guys who have tried to sell their Lambo by themselves, so I decide to call said local BMW dealer and see if this woman exists. To my utter amazement she indeed exists and truly does buy used cars for the dealership. Says all I need to do is bring the car in with the title, they check it out and if it's as advertised (i.e., no undisclosed damage) they write me a check for $130k and I'm on my merry way in 45 minutes.

I have to admit the idea of selling the car to a dealer is appealing --- no worries about checks clearing, people just taking the car out for a joy ride, me wasting my time, etc. Has anyone else done this? Is there any room to negotiate in these deals? Also I kinda feel like maybe I priced the car too low if the dealer is offering $10k below my asking price.

In addition to all of that, I have to admit that I'm a bit emotional. This is my first supercar. Like so many others on this forum I had the Lambo poster hanging on my wall as a kid and it was quite an exhilarating day when I bought the car almost five years ago. And it's been a PERFECT car in all aspects, including mechanically. My emotions are all over the place! I could be a character in a Hallmark romance movie right now....

Advice welcomed!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bird in the hand, so to say.
I am unclear how long your Gallardo has been for sale.
Yet, fast, no hassle, established buyer..... I would sell.

The decision tree would be to wait until spring (better car season) and then negotiate down the $139K price to sell.
I am unsure if price, region or weather is the reason the car did not sell as expected.

Good luck.

FWIW
i8 as a replacement?
You might be able to leverage that dealer with your Gallardo trade. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,872 Posts
I’m curious as to what are you replacing it with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird in the hand, so to say.
I am unclear how long your Gallardo has been for sale.
Yet, fast, no hassle, established buyer..... I would sell.

The decision tree would be to wait until spring (better car season) and then negotiate down the $139K price to sell.
I am unsure if price, region or weather is the reason the car did not sell as expected.

Good luck.

FWIW
i8 as a replacement?
You might be able to leverage that dealer with your Gallardo trade. :)
Thanks for the comments. The car has only been up for sale for two weeks. I'm inclined to take the money and run. We'll see what happens today!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m curious as to what are you replacing it with?
I'm replacing it with cash! Haha. I have no plans right now to buy something else. I'm going to let my son park in the third bay of the garage for a while. We'll see how long that lasts. I've talked about getting an old beater pickup truck with a 6 inch body lift, a motorcycle (which the wife has already vetoed), a new Corvette, an old Corvette (LOL), a blue cepheus Aventador, or a classic car. So many options..... :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have recently sold a couple of cars and it is nerve wracking. I think the bottom line for me is what I’m willing to accept as a good deal for me. Dealer is easy. They write the check. Car market is hot right now. If it were me I would come back to them and see if they would do 135. You may get that asking to split it in the middle or they may counter a little higher. I would tell them you are torn and how this is a big decision to let go of your baby. I’ve always felt that establishing a genuine relationship with someone especially in person or at least by phone often pays off. Good luck with the sale!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,576 Posts
@mkern724, cash is good but from your option list said cash is already burning a hole in your pocket. Not to worry it's all good!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal, and a private party is going to negotiate with you too. If it was me and I was on the fence I would reply "Meet in the middle at $135k and ill bring it in today"

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Dealers are desperate for cars right now. Even if you could squeeze out a couple bucks from a private party, it's hardly worth the effort. Take the car in, show them the condition, and then try to get a couple more dollars out of them. Don't negotiate over the phone. Good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would give Roy at Cats Exotics a call. He is very knowledgeable and fair. At the least, he will confirm or modify the offer you presently have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts