Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the clutch replaced in my car and a few hundred miles later I got the flashing 6 E-Gear lights. During the clutch job the accumulator was replaced so I knew it wasn’t that.

Shop said it was the actuator, so I had it rebuilt by GTE Engineering. Shop put in the rebuilt actuator and now says the car will not shift into R or 5th and suggested a transmission rebuild.

This makes zero sense to me. Had no shifting issues before. Been almost 2 months since they told me and I refused to just let them rebuild the transmission without a reason why, they couldn’t even tell me why or how this happened nor have they seen it before. They have had my car for over 3 months now and I am contemplating sending a flat bed and sending it somewhere else, this is a reputable Southern California shop.

Anyone have any clue or know what my R or 5th gear would have this issue? Cost to rebuild transmission?

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,315 Posts
Get a second opinion from another shop. Sorry to hear your issues.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good luck with it and so sorry to hear you're having this issue. Doesn't really make sense since you've pretty much already rebuilt the trans at this point... there's not many things left!

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with it and so sorry to hear you're having this issue. Doesn't really make sense since you've pretty much already rebuilt the trans at this point... there's not many things left!

Please keep us posted.
My big issue, I cannot find a reason why R or 5th would all of a sudden not engage nor can I find where this is a problem that occurs. R and 5th are not on the same syncro.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree AND remember they were fine before the clutchwork. I assume you took it in just for a worn clutch, not because it had any issues (until later at least)?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch and accumulator were replaced. Car shifted fine before and shifted fine after. I even drove it to their shop for actuator diagnostic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’ve read a lot of bad things about GTE Engineering, on this forum and others. I think they got banned from this site and were posting positive reviews of High Tech Exotic as positive reviews of their own (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Sounds to me like your actuator rebuild has had a failure. I highly doubt anything is wrong with the transmission.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,315 Posts
Isn’t this a problem with the electronic control, ie it is not calibrated correctly? Does it need to be reset or is a sensor not working properly? Seems to me this is not a mechanical issue but electronic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn’t this a problem with the electronic control, ie it is not calibrated correctly? Does it need to be reset or is a sensor not working properly? Seems to me this is not a mechanical issue but electronic.
Car goes through the relearn sequence with the LARA computer without issues. They said they discovered the issue on the test drive.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Im in NYC and GTE Engineering is not far from me and I will say that all their clutches are just re-built - remanufacture clutches (Hence their low cheap prices)

I personally would never install a clutch in my car unless it was 100% oem from lambo or just a kevlar clutch from High Tech Exotic.

Never heard nothing bad about GTE engineering though but being they just "fixed" and issue for you & another issue came up, I would steer clear from them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im in NYC and GTE Engineering is not far from me and I will say that all their clutches are just re-built - remanufacture clutches (Hence their low cheap prices)

I personally would never install a clutch in my car unless it was 100% oem from lambo or just a kevlar clutch from High Tech Exotic.

Never heard nothing bad about GTE engineering though but being they just "fixed" and issue for you & another issue came up, I would steer clear from them.
I didn’t use their clutch. They came highly recommended in regards to rebuilding the actuator better than stock.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
The stock rods bend which causes the seals to go and lose pressure. They use stronger rods. I talked to a lot of out of state shops and they all recommended GTE for the actuator.
Ah okay gotcha. So not sure were your car went wrong.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had the clutch replaced in my car and a few hundred miles later I got the flashing 6 E-Gear lights. During the clutch job the accumulator was replaced so I knew it wasn’t that.

Shop said it was the actuator, so I had it rebuilt by GTE Engineering. Shop put in the rebuilt actuator and now says the car will not shift into R or 5th and suggested a transmission rebuild.

This makes zero sense to me. Had no shifting issues before. Been almost 2 months since they told me and I refused to just let them rebuild the transmission without a reason why, they couldn’t even tell me why or how this happened nor have they seen it before. They have had my car for over 3 months now and I am contemplating sending a flat bed and sending it somewhere else, this is a reputable Southern California shop.

Anyone have any clue or know what my R or 5th gear would have this issue? Cost to rebuild transmission?
Wish you the best getting it sorted-take it to another shop, for my two cents it sounds like the sensor was somehow damage during install ? Again either way goes to another shop and they will have pull the clutch out to find the problem, its not the pump.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wish you the best getting it sorted-take it to another shop, for my two cents it sounds like the sensor was somehow damage during install ? Again either way goes to another shop and they will have pull the clutch out to find the problem, its not the pump.
Which sensor?

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
I’ve read a lot of bad things about GTE Engineering, on this forum and others. I think they got banned from this site and were posting positive reviews of High Tech Exotic as positive reviews of their own (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Sounds to me like your actuator rebuild has had a failure. I highly doubt anything is wrong with the transmission.
You are correct. GTE/Pega took one of our customer's positive feedback and put it on their website. They have been banned a few times. They kept creating fake accounts and their fake accounts were banned too.

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
The stock rods bend which causes the seals to go and lose pressure. They use stronger rods. I talked to a lot of out of state shops and they all recommended GTE for the actuator.
It's interesting that you say GTE replaces the rod. We are the one that replace the rod in our rebuilt actuators. We have had a few of GTE's failed rebuilt actuators and GTE does not replace the rod. We are the one that replace the rod with a stronger rod, not them. Again they are using our better rebuilt process and tell people that they do it like us.

As far as your transmission, it is related to your rebuilt used-clutch that you installed. When you're rebuilding an E-gear clutch, if the clutch is not calibrated correctly, the rod gets pushed into the transmission and damages the transmission. Clearance adjustment needs to be under a certain value. If you go over this value, it will hit the rod in the transmission. Unfortunately I can't go into details because we are the only clutch company who knows about this. That's why we have never had any transmission issues with our clutches. Do a search and there is another member on this forum that installed a rebuilt used-clutch and he had to rebuild his transmission. I think it cost him $20-30k.

I know that your car is at Raging bull. Frank at Raging Bull is a good mechanic. Frank is a very knowledgeable mechanic. It's not Frank's fault that you have transmission issues since he didn't build the clutch and he didn't rebuild your actuator.

After talking to Frank at Raging bull today, he confirmed that clutch is dragging and this must have caused all of your problems. So the problem is your(used-rebuilt) clutch.

Here is another customer that has the same clutch(used-rebuilt) as yours(from the same clutch company) and his clutch is dragging. He had to install the(used rebuilt) clutch twice with the same problem but didn't solve the problem. He's returning the clutch to the clutch company.

As I said before, not all Kevlar clutches are the same. We know how to calibrate and set them up and that's why we have never had any issues like yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts