Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 gallardo with e gear. When I take off gently from a dead stop the car shakes or shudders until the cluth is fully engaged. Does any body else have this problem ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was wondering how long it would be before someone else complained of this, or if it was just me. My 2004 Gallardo has just recently started doing it.

When I started asking around I was told that there is a condition they call "Hot Spots" with these clutch that can be caused by excessive clutch heat due to driving conditions such as stop start conditions, hill starts, etc that may cause the clutch to overheat. (Not too unusual on these cars unfortunately). I believe these hot spots are deposits left (probably burnt) on one of the plates. This can cause the shuddering on take off, they say.

If you go for a longer highway drive it should gradually come good by itself - so I've been told. Unfortunately mine hasn't. They are know thinking that it may be pressure plate related and may have to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bunkhound said:
I was wondering how long it would be before someone else complained of this, or if it was just me. My 2004 Gallardo has just recently started doing it.

When I started asking around I was told that there is a condition they call "Hot Spots" with these clutch that can be caused by excessive clutch heat due to driving conditions such as stop start conditions, hill starts, etc that may cause the clutch to overheat. (Not too unusual on these cars unfortunately). I believe these hot spots are deposits left (probably burnt) on one of the plates. This can cause the shuddering on take off, they say.

If you go for a longer highway drive it should gradually come good by itself - so I've been told. Unfortunately mine hasn't. They are know thinking that it may be pressure plate related and may have to replace the clutch.
If it as you have been told..... hot spots or material transfer from the disk to the friction disk, pressure plate, and or the flywheel then "NO" amount cruising on he highway will every change this. When on the highway the clutch (in therory) is completely engaged as such there is no activity...good bad or otherwise going on. You could just as easy have a solid shaft connnecting the engine to the transaxle during these times.

Having shared this....... will the problem correct itself over time...... doubtful, and if it were to happen it would only happen during those times that the clutch is slipping so that the possibility of removing transfered material can occur. If it is as the result of excessive heat.... hot spots, warped disk, etc. then until replaced I suspect that this will be the manner that the clutch operates.

Shadowman

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my 2004 E Gear in for its 1500 mile service and that was one of my complaints. Grant at Lamborghini Orange County (California) replaced the clutch with the newer version which he said is the same as the one that the 2006 models have. He also updated the software.

That said, the car still has occasional fits when starting off from a dead stop and going slow, as in traffic. It also jerks from time to time when it when I back up my driveway which has a slight slope to it. In both cases, the jerkiness is much improved from before.

The following is a quote from my service order that came back with the car:

"Test drive....E Gear does buck more than most. Snap shot
clutch wear high. Degedation leavl (sic) over 15000...called
John A. Replace with new clutch. Flash new software, write
new cluthch S& test drive."

An interesting aside to all this: Grant told me that Lamborghini didn't want to replace the clutch because the car was still new (under 1500 miles), saying the problem might work out in time. Nevertheless he got them to go along with him. So much for customer satisfaction. I have a 2004 Ferrari 360 F1 and the clutch has been flawless. I don't see why Lamborghini can't get their stuff together

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hornet said:
I just took my 2004 E Gear in for its 1500 mile service and that was one of my complaints. Grant at Lamborghini Orange County (California) replaced the clutch with the newer version which he said is the same as the one that the 2006 models have. He also updated the software.

That said, the car still has occasional fits when starting off from a dead stop and going slow, as in traffic. It also jerks from time to time when it when I back up my driveway which has a slight slope to it. In both cases, the jerkiness is much improved from before.

The following is a quote from my service order that came back with the car:

"Test drive....E Gear does buck more than most. Snap shot
clutch wear high. Degedation leavl (sic) over 15000...called
John A. Replace with new clutch. Flash new software, write
new cluthch S& test drive."

An interesting aside to all this: Grant told me that Lamborghini didn't want to replace the clutch because the car was still new (under 1500 miles), saying the problem might work out in time. Nevertheless he got them to go along with him. So much for customer satisfaction. I have a 2004 Ferrari 360 F1 and the clutch has been flawless. I don't see why Lamborghini can't get their stuff together

Good comments; reverse is the hardest on both Lamborghini E-gear and the Ferrari F1 ...I do not think that when in reverse the clutch is every fully able to engage.....

Even though I drive a 6 speed I suspect that some of the problems are as the result of the gearing. The 06 cars seem to benifit from alternate gearing that for the E-gear cars will make the initial roll-out smoother by default whereas with the 6 speed ..... no big deal.

Shadowman

·
Registered
117 Posts
This problem is even worse on the Murcies, IMO....and one of the main reasons why I am still a fan of the 6-speed. The e-gear is fun to toy around with a bit, I'll agree....but the 6-speed is def still the way to go. When in Monterrey this year and helping that money sucking guy wash cars, I was reminded of how much I like our 6-speeds everytime I had to park an e-gear Lambo (particularly Murci). Although, I have heard the new softwear upgrade was supposed to help this, esp. on the G-car, where this seems to be a less pressing problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts