Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post an update as I started the annual service of my Murcielago.

so first time for me on this car and I decided to do it myself as I really wanted to understand the car more and see what I have in more details.

started out with the carbon panel removal, procured from eBay the new rubber for each side panel as the old stuff was perished.

then I went for the 12 plugs and after some research I decided to go with the NGK.. what came out were the champions. It’s quite an easy job although I did snap a couple of the old plugs getting them out due to access issues with my plug socket and extension. No issue just went in with the magnet and then Hoover to ensure I got everything out

next step was air filters no big issue here

Then into the oil Change and here is where the fun started. I removed the 2 sump plugs one I noticed was only finger tight both the thread on the sump and sump plug look worn and it doesn’t tighten well at all so I have ordered a new plug which should arrive tomorrow then I will decide if I need to helicoil the sump or not.. then the oil tank plug removal which is really tight, I tried a few things to get it loosened but this has so far beat me... I opted for a pump down the dip stick and pulled out over 4 liters this way.. I have measured what came out in total and it’s around 11 ltrs. Once I get the new sump plugs I will re fill 4 liters into the block and 6 into the oil tank and then fire her up get to temp and re measure.

Did anymore helicoil or repair the sump threads already any advice ?

so next on my list is the battery, I have a new Bosch battery coming tomorrow these have a 5 year guarantee and always had good experience with Bosch batteries

I have the fuel filters to replace which I believe are under the air box and coolant tank, I will change the coolant at the same time and have the new further re-enforced pipe from header to block and have also wrapped that pipe in a shielded tape and then the brake fluid change for which I have bought one of the pressurized kits I Will report how that goes.

last up I will then template and make the skid plates for the front of the bumper I will write that one

·
Registered
327 Posts
Congrats... for "getting your hands dirty" and doing repairs yourself.

Can't comment of helicoil repair, will comment there is no mention of engine intake/ exhaust value adjustment.

Have fun and again congrats.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great update. A few considerations:

When bleeding the brakes also do the clutch. They share the same fluid and a quick flush of that system will get the whole assembly clean.

Be sure to check/replace all of the thin coolant lines that are part of the cooling system. Bend and flex them really good and listen for cracking sounds. In my car they snapped in half and I cannot believe they did not fail. Super easy to do at this stage.

If you are doing the coolant hose then remove the coolant bottle all together. This will make replacing the fuel filters a LOT easier.

When the fuel filters are replaced and before putting the coolant bottle back, cycle the ignition key a few times (without cranking the engine) to build fuel pressure. This way you can visibly check for leaks around the freshly changed filters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice thanks for it...

I’ve checked all the small hoses and vac lines look good and no signs of perishing

the valves were done last year less than 1k
Miles ago by the dealer so should be good

I didn’t realise the clutch and brakes are the same fluid will do that also at the same time then

thanks all, patiently waiting for the battery and sump plugs 🤪

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bleed my clutch from below and find the access to be decent. The procedure I use is to have someone hold the clutch down and I'll open and close the bleeder in one movement. If I repeat this enough times (normally 5-10) I get a full bleed of the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts