Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So upon searching for a new E-Gear relay I came across this "scuding smart relay" from a company over in Switzerland.

The info it claims are the following:
"This Plug&Play pure electronic solid state Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU is a direct replacement of the OEM robotized gearbox hydraulic pump relay like for the F1/E-Diff of Ferrari but also for many other car brands. With our embedded software, this ECU will greatly improve the performances & reliability of your car and will help to prevent very expensive hydraulic system failures. Don't wait for such failures to happen and upgrade your relay now! Saved already many supercar owners from big repair bills! Available in 2 different versions: Basic and Advanced."

Link: Smart eMT Relay ECU - F1 Pump Relay

At first I was skeptical but went & purchased the advance version for my 05 gallardo. Cost was about $440 USD
Upon installing it along with a new egear pump I must say this pretty much makes my egear system extremely less quite as almost like it isn't working
and switch gears on the spot, smoother. (Nothing crazy but the reaction of paddle time is instant now) No lag.
Before my pump would get extremely hot and I just ended up burning it out along with the relay and fuse.
I'm not a tech guy but performance overall seems to be better now.
Just installed it last week and so far so good. Just thought I share this with you guys.

This is one of their videos on their website

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting and looks nice, but you replaced your pump too so the overall experience could also be from that ?

The install, how too and this cable with box can it be put somewhere where it is not visible ?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@csteenbe

Well could be as well & on cable, yes it can be hidden anywhere, cable is very long. I just put it there for photo purposes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Intriguing. Anyone know any more about this company? I’m a big fan of preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
08 SL #07008 in Nero Noctis
73 Posts
looks interesting!

·
Vendor
2,719 Posts
Intriguing. Anyone know any more about this company? I’m a big fan of preventative maintenance.
I'm a dealer for Scuding and have sold a quite few of these. Also a good friend of mine Guillermo from super car service loves using these. The manufacturer has a great reputation and I will be LESS than their website. Do you need it? No, but eventually these relays are known to go bad and strange things can happen with Egear. It does make the e-gear pump run less and it WILL prevent your pump from burning out (which can occur if there is pressure loss in your lines) at least this will save your pump from burning out, which has also happened to quite a few. Call/text 717-319-2100 if you need.

Reactions: LAMBOTalk88

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is very interesting, I have not given any problem at the moment, I am going to see the differences between the 2 models, basic and advanced, and I will buy one.

·
Vendor
2,719 Posts
The Type 2 plug is the most popular version for the Gallardo. I sell more of the basic version as it's less expensive, but has no monitoring features. I always recommend the advanced version due to the advanced monitoring features as well as an early warning system of the hydraulics.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Type 2 plug is the most popular version for the Gallardo. I sell more of the basic version as it's less expensive, but has no monitoring features. I always recommend the advanced version due to the advanced monitoring features as well as an early warning system of the hydraulics.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the relay relatively accessible? I had a mechanic do the relay when I did the motor for my pump but I'm tempted by the monitoring aspect.

·
Vendor
2,719 Posts
Here ya go. Of course you can run the monitor up where you can see it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the relay relatively accessible? I had a mechanic do the relay when I did the motor for my pump but I'm tempted by the monitoring aspect.

Yes, it's behind the passenger seat. Just lift up the panel. It's a 1 minute job...

·
Registered
9 Posts
for gallardo LP560-4 I think it is type 1

·
Registered
179 Posts
So upon searching for a new E-Gear relay I came across this "scuding smart relay" from a company over in Switzerland.

The info it claims are the following:
"This Plug&Play pure electronic solid state Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU is a direct replacement of the OEM robotized gearbox hydraulic pump relay like for the F1/E-Diff of Ferrari but also for many other car brands. With our embedded software, this ECU will greatly improve the performances & reliability of your car and will help to prevent very expensive hydraulic system failures. Don't wait for such failures to happen and upgrade your relay now! Saved already many supercar owners from big repair bills! Available in 2 different versions: Basic and Advanced."

Link: Smart eMT Relay ECU - F1 Pump Relay

At first I was skeptical but went & purchased the advance version for my 05 gallardo. Cost was about $440 USD
Upon installing it along with a new egear pump I must say this pretty much makes my egear system extremely less quite as almost like it isn't working
and switch gears on the spot, smoother. (Nothing crazy but the reaction of paddle time is instant now) No lag.
Before my pump would get extremely hot and I just ended up burning it out along with the relay and fuse.
I'm not a tech guy but performance overall seems to be better now.
Just installed it last week and so far so good. Just thought I share this with you guys.

This is one of their videos on their website
I have been reading their website and am trying to understand this product. Have I got this right?

Theoretical benefits:

1. This is essentially a digital transistor/IC switch instead of mechanical relay switch. So it triggers quicker and silently.

2. Less wear in itself because of no moving parts.

3. Being digital, it can monitor some sort of voltage/current timings within itself to then infer that the e-gear pump has been running too long or too frequently - and then can shut it down to prevent damage.

4. By not being mechanical, there is no auto-multi-triggers when a mechanical relay starts to oscillate when it starts to fail (though most failure results in non-trigger, rather than auto oscillate trigger).

4. It can allow a consistently high opening current - 250A instead of the 30-50A

Pitfalls:

1. Transistor/IC also fail - though probably less than a frequently triggered mechanical relay

2. We rely on Scud-ING to set what it considers "too long" or "too frequent" - how do they set those limits? For example, maybe a long pump is exactly what's needed to get me home when the pump is "failing" a bit due to old age

3. Allows a high opening current doesn't mean much, does it? Being switch, it doesn't generate that current itself - it simply "permits" whatever the supply rail is supplying. So no real benefit there... am I wrong?

4. Let's say 3 isn't true, immediately "upping" the current to a pump, whether by speed of rise or ceiling amplitude, can do damage/wear out the pump possibly?

5. I am not sure how often the pump is "triggered". I can hear the pump prime when I unlock the car. But does it "pump" with each gear shift? Or is it permanently "pumping" while the car is running? Given how quickly the gear shifts occur, it seems quite impossible for the pump to individually "pump on" and then "pump off" in time with each individual shift?

6. If the shifts occur quicker due to digital rather than mechanical triggering, does it cause a problem with double/triple upshifts/downshifts with multiple e-gear stalk presses? That's a feature I recently started using to preserve clutch life - rev to 5k in 1st gear, then double or triple tap to engage 3rd or 4th gear to save clutch wear by bypassing the middle gears....

6. Costs significantly more than a mechanical relay

·
Vendor
2,719 Posts
I can't remember his screen-name on here, but my guy Guillermo from supercarservice on IG has used the Scuding relays for a very long time. He told me about these many years ago. We've gotten to know each other very well. I had this technician from another country who happened to be in Boston repairing another vehicle fly to @Drew Zee 's house in Arizona to fix his car. His Lamborghini dealer couldn't fix the E-gear issues he had after many attempts ($7,000 worth!) and he was so frustrated that he wanted to sell his car. I'm a Lamborghini lover and owner and couldn't let this happen. After Guillermo re-did the whole egear system, the first thing he installed was the Scuding relay. I even helped Drew find a gated car in Florida that he almost bought, but I kept digging around and found some issues with that particular car and he pulled out of othe deal. In the end later, after everything was fixed and running perfect he decided to do a manual conversion on his current car. He ended up keeping his original car after the technician/Guillermo I referred him to fixed it. My only gain was knowing he was taken care of and the car was repaired properly and helping a fellow Lamborghini owner was the cherry on top...

Hopefully drew will chime in here about the relay and I'll try to find Guillermo's screenname again as he's installed many more than I ever could.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts