Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed fine scratch marks on my Murcie's black paint job after a car wash at the Dealer! :mad: I think I will have to wash the car personally from now on.

What car detailing products are good for the Murcie? Right now I am just using Turtle Wax products - car wash, color blend liquid wax. The Turtle wax shine does not last too long, and it is not protective enough to withstand a hand car wash from the dealer. I need recommendations for better car care products.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Zymol products are good, and of course use microfiber towels for washing, a good chamois for drying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
zzoorrkk said:
I noticed fine scratch marks on my Murcie's black paint job after a car wash at the Dealer! :mad: I think I will have to wash the car personally from now on.
Yep, black is probably the least tolerent of "poor" washing procedures, and will really show up any "washing induced" scratches or problems. Best you tell the dealer not to wash it, if that's the best they can do!.

I have no doubt that the scratches you see are due to dirty gritty chamois's, sponges, or whatever, that they use to wash every car that passes their way. Some cars they wash will be filthy and gritty and this gets picked up on their sponge, and stays there, to grind away at the paintwork of the next cat that happens to come along - yours!

Whenever I take a car to get serviced, (even if it's my 4 wheel drive mud slinger) I always make sure it's washed and clean, because I know that even if they don't wash it, they will be hanging over the fenders/wings/ when they are working on the engine, and grinding any dirt in to the paintwork.

There's lot's of good polishes and paint care products out there, Turtle, Zymol, McGuires, Mother........ but none of them are going to protect against abrasive paint damage due to poor washing procedures.

If you are not getting scatches in your gorgeous black paint when you wash it yourself, you are obviously doing it right. But dealers often don't take the same care, or even consider it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The scratch marks can be cause by the towel while washing or the towel used in drying.

I use a micro fiber to wash, then blow dry the car with an electric leaf blower, then a final wipe down with a micro fiber.

Re: How to fix scratch... You can put on a coat of anything with the word "glaze" in it...mirror glaze, imperial hand glaze, etc. These products will fill the scratch and hide it...however after about 4th time you wash the car, the glaze will wash out and they will re-appear. The only way to remove them is to polish them out.

I use about 8 or 9 different kinds of polish...anyone will work, but you will need a buffer (either random orbital or orbital) to polish out the scratch. Don't waste your time getting the kind you see a Pep Boys or Sears..you need a real buffer which will cost at least $100 or pay a detailer to buff them out for you.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will call up a local detailer on Monday and get him to buff out the scratches and then have him put on a durable polymer coating before waxing. Anyone know of a good detailer in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
zzoorrkk said:
I think I will call up a local detailer on Monday and get him to buff out the scratches and then have him put on a durable polymer coating before waxing. Anyone know of a good detailer in Vancouver, BC, Canada?
You should seriously look into having your Lambo treated with the Crystal Gaurd product from our sponsor!!!

The stuff is fantastic!!!!

www.CrystalGuard.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
car care products

I have been very happy with Griot's Garage products. They have everything you can imagine for every type of finish. :)

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my Murcie polished and waxed by a detailer today. When I got home I wiped her down again and applied another coat of Turtle wax. She's beautiful again. If only I can apply a force field against dirt and grime... Any retail products out there like that, a bottle of liquid force field? ;)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I can't comment on aztecs problem, but Crystal Guard is really a good product!!

I will personally go to Aztecs house (next time I'm in Cali:)) and apply Crystal Guard to his Lambo and I'm sure he would be happy!!!

Crystal Guard will send you a Sample to TRY on another Car..like your beater....just to prove their product works!!!

ps: I should add, if you guys don't have "A BEATER"...get one!!!! :D (91 Mazda 626 here with 220 on the clock) :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Aztec,

can you tell us more as only a few people on the board have used it. Some really like it some don't.

What don't you like about it and why?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was at the Vancouver Auto Show last month and there was a Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System on display. Anyways, to make a long story short, I bought the product yesterday and tried it out on Murcie.

The system works! No need to wipe dry. Just let it air dry to a spotless finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
zzoorrkk said:
I was at the Vancouver Auto Show last month and there was a Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System on display. Anyways, to make a long story short, I bought the product yesterday and tried it out on Murcie.

The system works! No need to wipe dry. Just let it air dry to a spotless finish.

yep, I have heard the samething, the perfect product for washing black cars, although you must make sure the filter is still good otherwise those good old water spots will appear.

I hear 5 to 7 washes and then you need to replace the filter

·
Registered
75 Posts
crystal crap

if the car gets wet you can still see water spots, a simple wipe down doesn not remove it. im getting it removed as soon as possible.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree with Michaelo. I've used nothing but Griots Garage Products for the last 10 years. Great stuff.

I use his "Boars Hair" brush to wash the car. But even that will leave some minute scratches. So, I just pull out my handy Porter Cable waxer I got from them and buff the car with their "Best of Show" wax. Out they come.

http://www.griotsgarage.com

They also produce a great handbook on taking care of your cars finish.

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
3 Posts
zzoorrkk said:

Zzoork stay away from the Mr. Clean Autodry system, dealers and gas station car washes. What most carwashes will strip your wax off and make your car look very dull. Most of the stuff you can buy from local stores is stuff you would put on beater cars. The best stuff you can use for your car is Zaino. If you use there products the way they're are suppose to be used your car will come out looking brand new. It's a 4-5 step process which you can do over the weekend and it last for a good 6 months in sunny weather. If your in Vancouver I can tell you the local place where you can go buy Zaino and other higher end car products. I use Zaino on all my cars and you would be amazed what the right products can do your car.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where can I get Zaino locally in Vancouver? The Zaino website ships only within the USA. Please advise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
zzoorrkk said:
Where can I get Zaino locally in Vancouver? The Zaino website ships only within the USA. Please advise.
I have the zaino but I'm to lazy to use it....I would imagine it would take a good full day just to use it for the first time...I know the fellow who sells it..email me if you want his #

I still think the Mr clean is not that bad for your car...espically if the cars already waxed

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
zzoorrkk said:
http://www.downtownautospa.com
Address: 55 East 5th Ave. Vancouver BC
Phone#: (604)689-1550

I had my SL 500 waxed from these guys just in time for the sunny weather. They did a Excellent job and they carry all the high end waxes. Don't get me wrong, you have tons of waxes out there that are "good" but if you want to know why certain waxes and products arent good for you car then check out autopia.org which has all the information you need concerning detailing.

One thing about Zaino is it's very easy to use but you have to read the directions very carefully. Zaino won't damage your paint if you dont read the directions carefully but Zaino needs to be applied in the right order for the best results. Some people will tell you to use dishsoap to wash your car before applying Zaino. Dish soap basically strips all the wax and other crap so you have a clean surface to apply the wax on your paint but dishsoap should only be used once in cars lifetime but I don't know if I would use dishsoap on a Lambo. Another thing they say that you should do is clay your car down with a claybar. What clay does is it picks up all the dirt from your paint so you have a clean surface to apply the first layer of Zaino.

If you don't have time and want to put down about $350 you can these guys to put on a layer for you and then basically buy the wax and just use the QD (quick detailer) spray everytime you get home. The Zaino Z-5 Polish for Swirls and Scratches is prefect for dark colored cars. The more layers of Zaino the deeper the shine is. They also have products for your tires and for your leather. If I were you I would buy the products and do it over the weekend. Remember, you can put 3 layers of wax in one day and that will last you 6 months plus and then just use the QD to wipe your car down. When you wash it you can use Zaino carwash soap which will not strip your wax off and it will keep your car shining. After you've done the Zaino treatment don't take your car to a carwash of any sort because most likely they'll strip all the wax off just wash your car at home with the Zaino soap.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but trust me its very very easy and the end result is very impressive if done correctly. I think its well worth the $150+ and you don't need to go overboard and remember to buy micro fibre towels because i'm guessing half the marks made on dark colored cars are from the towels people use to clean and dry there cars with. I'm 99% certain that you'll be impressed by Zaino. I had my car waxed and I use the QD and it gives my paint a real deep wet look. Sorry for the long post guys but hopefully this will help you out in waxing your car. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts