Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, but does a Diablo fit in a normal size garage, i.e. 8 foot ceilings? Obviously you have to open the door to get in, so how high is the top of the door when it is open?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Gallardo has normal doors to save a little on cost and to provide more differentiation to the Murcielago.

However, I did read this week that a company in California that specializes in doing scissor door conversions for normal cars will, ironically, be offering a kit for the Gallardo in the coming year. I'll post their name when I'm home, but it's in this week's AutoWeek magazine if anyone gets it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
cgperry said:
The Gallardo has normal doors to save a little on cost and to provide more differentiation to the Murcielago.

However, I did read this week that a company in California that specializes in doing scissor door conversions for normal cars will, ironically, be offering a kit for the Gallardo in the coming year. I'll post their name when I'm home, but it's in this week's AutoWeek magazine if anyone gets it.

Strikes me that the Lambo Marketing folks are basically saying that if you want to buy the "cheaper" Lambo then you can jolly well do without the funky bits like scissors doors. I suspect the decision was entirely on a marketing basis rather than a fiscal or design basis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's also a UK company doing a similar service providing scissor doors for cars. I'll try and locate their details, don't know if they do it for Gallardos - their blurb said that their system would fit "most" cars.
William

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a company on the west coast that makes these kits for the NSX as well. But they are not the same as if the car came with it. The doors do not go straight up like a Diablo. Instead, because the front part of the door is not rounded and is straight, the doors must first open out about 12 inches, and then they slide upward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lambo's haven't always had scissor doors.

My understanding was they were introduced when the cars started getting too wide, for conventional doors to be used.

The Gallardo "can get away without them" being less then 2m wide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never thought about that, but it sounds logical. My NSX can be a problem sometimes if someone parks too close. You can't open the door wide enough to get in. Scissor doors would solve that problem in that they open up instead of out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only problem about vertical doors is that it offers a nice unobstructed view of the ladies getting into and out of our cars.
My wife makes me go to the passanger side to open the door for her if she is in a mini. Sorry Mr. Valet, can't let you see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The company I mentioned earlier is Vertical Doors (www.verticaldoors.com). They are doing the kit for the Gallardo. My understanding from the article is that this company's kits are specific to each car and bolt-on in place of the original hinges. This is quite different from some of their competitors (who are also mentioned in the article) where some or a lot of modification is necessary to the car to make a more generic kit work. The Gallardo kit is due out next year but they don't say exactly when. If you get AutoWeek Magazine, it's the December 6 issue on page 8, 'Going Vertical' is the article name.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
cgperry said:
The company I mentioned earlier is Vertical Doors (www.verticaldoors.com). They are doing the kit for the Gallardo. My understanding from the article is that this company's kits are specific to each car and bolt-on in place of the original hinges. This is quite different from some of their competitors (who are also mentioned in the article) where some or a lot of modification is necessary to the car to make a more generic kit work. The Gallardo kit is due out next year but they don't say exactly when. If you get AutoWeek Magazine, it's the December 6 issue on page 8, 'Going Vertical' is the article name.
Last year, the Lambo President Joe Greco was telling me that Gallardo was specifically design to not be converted to a lift up door. I did tell him, some aftermarket company will eventually find away to make a kit that will convert the Gallardo's regular door to a swing up like the V12 Lambos of late. Boy, did I call that one. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
eric_lee said:
The only problem about vertical doors is that it offers a nice unobstructed view of the ladies getting into and out of our cars.
My wife makes me go to the passanger side to open the door for her if she is in a mini. QUOTE]
She obviously hasn't seen or learnt the technique for getting in/out of cars without showing underwear.
Getting in: open the door, turn to face away from the car, put your bum in first onto the seat, keeping legs together as you do so. Then swing both legs into the footwell, keeping them clamped together. Sounds difficult but is easy after a few attempts (so my wife says!)
Getting out: Open door, or get someone to do it for you. Swing both legs out together, keeping them clamped together. Then edge forwards and get your body out. Grap your partners arm or the door frame to help you get out.
Who says there aren't any sensitive new age guys around!

·
Registered
37 Posts
youngwill100 said:
eric_lee said:
My wife makes me go to the passanger side to open the door for her if she is in a mini. QUOTE]
She obviously hasn't seen or learnt the technique for getting in/out of cars without showing underwear.
Getting in: open the door, turn to face away from the car, put your bum in first onto the seat, keeping legs together as you do so. Then swing both legs into the footwell, keeping them clamped together. Sounds difficult but is easy after a few attempts (so my wife says!)
Getting out: Open door, or get someone to do it for you. Swing both legs out together, keeping them clamped together. Then edge forwards and get your body out. Grap your partners arm or the door frame to help you get out.
Who says there aren't any sensitive new age guys around!
Ha this is by far the funniest thing i've read today. Very good post!

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
cgperry said:
The weld on kits are 100% better than the vertical doors - they are MUCH stronger! look at www.decah.net

1 - 20 of 27 Posts