Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I, as any driver I'm sure, am always concerned about the safety of my car and ultimately for myself. I am just starting to do some serious research about Gallardos. I found a website that documents many accidents of Lambos. I won't mention the actual site as I feel that may be going against rules here, but I wanted to check with others here if they know of any problems with their Gs or any other Lambos.

I do realize that anyone driving a supercar (or hypercar for that matter) will have the ability to crash their car due to the power of the vehicle. However, I am worried about the Lamborghinis because the website mentioned above is trying to put a spin on the situation that makes it seem that there is a defect of the Lambo itself (and removing all responsibility for the accident themselves).

In speaking with fellow friends who do know a bit about supercars, they explain to me that Lambos are relatively knew when it comes to traction control (at least compared to Ferrari which has more experience). Also, you don't hear too much about Ferrari crashes, or Aston Martin crashes.

Has anyone actually had trouble with their cars? Should I be concerned at all with the electronics within the car (as opposed to my own driving being the fault) when I end up buying my G?

I do appreciate your help. If you would like to see the site I am referencing, you are more than welcome to do a google search with the key words "lamborghini," "fall," and "crash."

Thanks in advance to your replies!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
As far as I know, knock on wood, the car holds up well in a crash. It's extruded alumnimun so it's strong. I did notice there is no door beam inside the door panel. That's probly the only concern I have.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
??

First of all the Lambo has WAY more traction due to the AWD so it is MUCH harder to have an accident in the first place. I guarantee there are more Ferrari crashes per mile driven than Lambo ones. Traction control has nothing to do with it. The ESP is great and very safe. In fact the Ferrari systems are geared towards helping you go faster, not preventing crashing (I wish we had that! ;)).

Secondly Audi has a LOT more experience in safety than any other company making high-end cars. All this knowledge is in the Lambos. Someone took out a lamp post in my car last week, striking it exactly on the driver's side. He didn't have a scratch on him.

I think of safety features as good steering, grip, directional stability, and big brakes. But even if you look at passive safety only, I would say at least the Gallardo is the safest supercar you can buy.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
kev u joined this month this year? i think you're just fishing. it is common knowledge that our cars are all awd now. on the g's a spolier actually automatically raises up on it own for EVEN MORE control at higher speeds...and there is very little wrong with our cars.....more so than a vette or a viper.....WAY more so....so what site are u referring to? what's the bid secret? and why are you so mis-informed when u have a library at your fingertips?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gvan, I have read extensively about your previous experience with that accident (and your posts in general always appear to be insightful and helpful!). So sorry to hear about your experiences with that dealership. :(

My safety is a concern, but I also want to make sure that the supercar that I do buy does not decide to just speed off at full speed and cause an accident (if if only my car is affected).

Thank you for your responses. I feel that my faith has been restored quite a bit!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kev u joined this month this year? i think you're just fishing. it is common knowledge that our cars are all awd now. on the g's a spolier actually automatically raises up on it own for EVEN MORE control at higher speeds...and there is very little wrong with our cars.....more so than a vette or a viper.....WAY more so....so what site are u referring to? what's the bid secret? and why are you so mis-informed when u have a library at your fingertips?
Yes, it is true that I only recently joined the forum (so that I may ask questions such as these). However, I have been reading and researching a lot about these cars for more than a few months now. Although, I am fairly new to the scene.

In doing my research of Lambo cars, I thought I would give a chance to have some of the people here share their experiences. The website "http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini-murcielago-crash.html" has concerned me a bit. The person who has put the website up is trying to suggest some sort of defect of the Lambo and I don't care to necessarily take their word; I would much rather come and gather information here from personal experiences.

I don't understand your jargon of "fishing;" what are you implying or trying to say? As stated above, I AM trying to gather information and have people present their experiences (which Gvan referenced and helped out with).

Also, not all the cars all AWD (the Balboni G is only rear-wheel drive).

Nonetheless, I don't particularly care for your tone of voice. I am not misinformed but trying to get informed about these cars. And this was my first post on this forum. I already feel a bit discouraged to ask other questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Yes, it is true that I only recently joined the forum (so that I may ask questions such as these). However, I have been reading and researching a lot about these cars for more than a few months now. Although, I am fairly new to the scene.

In doing my research of Lambo cars, I thought I would give a chance to have some of the people here share their experiences. The website "http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini-murcielago-crash.html" has concerned me a bit. The person who has put the website up is trying to suggest some sort of defect of the Lambo and I don't care to necessarily take their word; I would much rather come and gather information here from personal experiences.

I don't understand your jargon of "fishing;" what are you implying or trying to say? As stated above, I AM trying to gather information and have people present their experiences (which Gvan referenced and helped out with).

Also, not all the cars all AWD (the Balboni G is only rear-wheel drive).

Nonetheless, I don't particularly care for your tone of voice. I am not misinformed but trying to get informed about these cars. And this was my first post on this forum. I already feel a bit discouraged to ask other questions. Thanks.
get a life

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the movie Iron Man 2 they tried to cut the r8 in half and could simply not do it. Now i know it is not a lamborghini but the r8 and the lambo are similiar cars. And also with what gvan said the guy didnt even get a scratch, they are pretty safe cars

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I recently saw that Lambounfall.de site as well. Very strange, definitely one or two isolated incidents but then the guy goes nuts accusing every crash ever had to some defect.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
he probably owns a Fer-rah-ree
Nah it was a Murci that supposedly just snapped to the right and nearly killed him (was in induced coma for a bit).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
get a life

Do you know how much these cars cost? If I go up to a dealer and ask these questions, more likely than not, they are not going to tell me of any problems they encountered or a website that documents "non-driver problems." They are there to sell these supercars. Maybe you should visit the site and reflect a bit. The story there (and the stories that follow) are a bit worrisome. A part of me would like to believe that it was entirely human error; however, it is not out of the realm of possibility that electronics can fail. However, the number of entries on the website make it appear that it is this sort of issue.

And so you know where I am coming from, since I was a little kid, I dreamed of the Countach and the Diablo. And now I dream of the Gallardo. I just want to make the most informed decision.

I'll leave you to your bad mood. But understand that this forum (regardless of what date I joined) is a common place to share information and knowledge. What I initially posted did not warrant your disrespect or attitude and I will kindly ask you to leave it behind the next time you post.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Let's just say most people don't give a crap about the crash test rating of an exotic car so your question is unusual and typically a sign of trollage... so you'll have to forgive Rosso...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recently saw that Lambounfall.de site as well. Very strange, definitely one or two isolated incidents but then the guy goes nuts accusing every crash ever had to some defect.
Yes, he does go nuts! And thats why I was discouraged for a bit. I'm surprised that Lamborghini hasn't tried to compensate him and encourage him to take down the site.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Yes, he does go nuts! And thats why I was discouraged for a bit. I'm surprised that Lamborghini hasn't tried to compensate him and encourage him to take down the site.
trust me, if you'd meet the people working at Lamborghini you'd now they'd never bother. They're simply much too focused on building amazing cars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's just say most people don't give a crap about the crash test rating of an exotic car so your question is unusual and typically a sign of trollage... so you'll have to forgive Rosso...
Trollage?

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off -topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum..."

I can see (maybe) the inflammatory part, but this is a general section of the forum... I should have prefaced it with "I don't intend to worry anyone, but I was just curious about this site and the legitimacy..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regardless, I apologize Rosso for my heated remarks and if you were insulted by my first posts, I do apologize. That was not my intention. Sorry to cause you any worry and I will be more considerate in future posts.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Trollage?

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off -topic messages in an online community....
Wrong term. Trolling, as in baiting....

Anyway, the problem with Lambos, and all other exotics, is that the car usually has more ability than the driver.

The only exception may be older Vipers and the F360, which are notoriously unstable.

Hence the utterly stupid crashes, like the one with Gvan's car. The more ponies, the easier it is to overdo it. Hence the stuff you see on the net.

The G is one of the most stable and forgiving cars I have ever driven. The AWD, and generally feeble launches (hard to get a fishtail with zero bottom end torque) are responsible for most of this safety buffer. No smoke show = good traction = stable trajectory.

Every exotic car purchase should come with a complimentary track course. It should be legislated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow, real mature Rosso. If you have nothing important to say, don't say anything at all. What does it mean to say "get a life?" I already have one, which is how I made my wealth and how I will be able to buy my car.

Do you know how much these cars cost? (Thats rhetorical, don't answer it). If I plan on spending this sort of cash on a car, I want to make sure that I get as much feedback and information. If I go up to a dealer and ask these questions, more likely than not, they are not going to tell me of any problems they encountered or a website that documents "non-driver problems." They are there to sell these supercars. Maybe you should visit the site and reflect a bit. The story there (and the stories that follow) are a bit worrisome. A part of me would like to believe that it was entirely human error; however, it is not out of the realm of possibility that electronics can fail. However, the number of entries on the website make it appear that it is this sort of issue.

And so you know where I am coming from, since I was a little kid, I dreamed of the Countach and the Diablo. And now I dream of the Gallardo. I just want to make the most informed decision.

I'll leave you to your bad mood. But understand that this forum (regardless of what date I joined) is a common place to share information and knowledge. What I initially posted did not warrant your disrespect or attitude and I will kindly ask you to leave it behind the next time you post.

Here's how I see it. Every car manufacturer has to put their vehicles through extensive safety tests before they are, even allowed by law, to hit the road. In terms of "control safety", I'd say the lambo has a good reputation, especially considering Audi is behind the scene now. If there were many instances of certain issues with the cars, then there would be a recall to address them.

As far as "impact safety", well you have to look at it from a common sense point of view. A Volvo might protect you better in a major collision. But the point of these cars isn't to be a "tank" (actually some would claim they are), but to be fast and agile. Therefore they weigh alot less and are made from alot lighter materials. I remember stories of the corvettes and their fiberglass bodies, and how "unsafe" they were because of it. The truth is, when in a collision, there's only ONE thing that's gonna save your butt in any vechicle you're in, and that's God.

So in my opinion, I wouldn't concern myself with safety concerns really. In one aspect, they are inline with every other car manufacturer. In the other aspect, they are as good or bad as any other sports car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts