Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the beginning stages of buying a Huracan, but I have one hang-up.

I'm a little worried about security. Specifically, there are millions and millions of people in Dallas, and I don't live in the nicest areas of Dallas.

There have been reports of armed thieves coming up to people as they exit their car at their apartment complex, and demanding the resident hand over the keys.

I'm a little worried about a similar situation occuring with my future Huracan.

I'm not a super-rich person, but I have saved enough for a Huracan. So I can't exactly live in a gated home with private security. But I could find an apartment complex with secure parking.

These are the solutions I can think of. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

1. Rent a townhome apartment with an attached garage. But, not totally invulnerable to "thieves" as they could run in the garage when I park.

2. Stay at apartments with "controlled parking" ... would be best if was a security guard that manually lets each resident in the community.

3. Store car at "exotic car garage" and come pick it up when I want to drive it

I know I may be overthinking this, but I've had 4 or 5 notices in the last year of armed men taking vehicles, and I think I'd be an easy target with a bright green Huracan.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Arm yourself? Guard what is yours. Get training to be confident with your firearm.

While I am serious about protecting yourself, if you have the option to move, you could do so but you will only improve the parking situation, which is probably more critical and/or likely than your armed robber scenario. Theft/damage will more likely occur if parked unsecured.

Otherwise you could see if your complex owner will install one of these with a 4 point camera system and guard tower.
https://www.geekalerts.com/cardok-underground-parking-elevator/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Storing Lambo in a Big City

To those who live in a big city----do you take any special precautions storing your Lamborghini?

I live in a big city (Dallas). There's many people in this city, and I assume some might have bad intentions.

How do you store/protect your car? Especially if you're living in an apartment complex?

I've looked at exotic car storage places that have 24/7 access, where you can safely store your car. But would like to hear if I'm going overboard, or not?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don’t over worry the issue. I am assuming you will have insurance. So as long as the car gets taken, you are covered. Just don’t get killed over a stupid car.

Now for a whole host of reasons like trying to keep it clean and looking sharp etc, by all means get a place with a garage to live in.

Not sure what part of the city you live in but plenty of nice places to live there that won’t break the bank and have a garage. You don’t have to be in the park cities.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Three things are needed:

(1) Enclosed garage
(2) Biometric pistol safe next to bed
(3) Pistol to put into biometric pistol safe next to bed

After that... I’m out of ideas.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'd want a garage to simply keep it clean and ding free. But if a thief wants it, no need to stress over it; let them have it and live to talk about it. Insurance will cover a replacement.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I'm not a super-rich person, but I have saved enough for a Huracan. So I can't exactly live in a gated home with private security. But I could find an apartment complex with secure parking.
Totally understand this situation.

If you need to get an apartment with shared secure parking, that will do.
Just park it and make an effort to cover it whenever it's in the parking complex with one of those car covers that don't have the "Lamborghini" logo emblazoned all over it.
This makes it a lot less noticeable and no one will bother looking or touching it (trust me).

If worse comes to worst and you can't get the apartment with any parking, get one of these secure, touchless car covers from Vertar :evil:
They're resistant to hail, grenades and antifa.

Congratulations on saving up for the Huracan. Go get it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,265 Posts
I think you have every right to be concerned. If mine wasn’t in a closed alarmed garage I would be nervous as well and I live in a nice area.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't know what an exotic car garage would cost. What I do know is, my sons girlfriend while they attended SMU had a Gallardo SL and when she was out of school over the Christmas break she kept it at Old Parkland's parking garage, they have 24 hour security. I've also seen other cars stored there like an F40 and old Rolls and a P1 at different times. In case you didn't know Old Parkland is near downtown.
Even a gated apartment would not stop a thief unless maybe it was attended.
Maybe you could install a motion sensing flood light with a camera(like Ring) so if someone is lurking around your garage you be notified??? I dunno man, tough call.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Others can correct me if I am wrong, but a Lamborghini is not an easy car to move if stolen. I don't think they get stolen very often. If you report a stolen bright green Lamborghini Huracan, it tends to get noticed and becomes hard for the thief to sell.

I did hear about exotics getting stolen and shipped to Russia and eastern Europe, but that was a long time ago. I haven't heard about it happening in a long time. (Gone in 60 Seconds was based on this).

I would be more worried about jealous vandals than car thieves. A garage and insurance would be my recommend.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a different take on this. The bigger question here is why are you buying a Huracan and living in a questionable part of Dallas. Driving a car way above the level of all the other cars in your area is sure to draw unwanted attention. I would either move to a nice gated condo with good security and a garage or a higher end apt complex with lots of nice cars , good security and a garage. Parking at a remote garage is a royal pain. Maybe you buy an older car and live in better digs. If for example you are single and meet someone, do you want to have to stop at your garage and swap the Huracan for the Toyota on the way home ? For the money you would spend on a garage , you could upgrade the living situation. Forget what the complex tells you. Drive there at night and test the security yourself. Is the gate code 1234 or 0000. Also Drive around the back of the complex. Developers always make the front look good , look in the back. What kind of cars are parked there ? That is the single most telling sign of the type of people living there. Remember if a resident has druggie criminal friends then you may still be in danger. Really good compounds are hard to qualify for which keeps out the bad elements. Price alone is not the only qualifier. You want a tough to get in location that runs background checks, credit checks etc. Or better yet , buy a Condo or home in a nice area. Either way you will not be constantly looking over your shoulder. Also, if you have saved enough to buy one, then other residents will be more on your economic and intellectual level . Lee

·
Registered
676 Posts
Seems the logical answer is to move. If you can afford off site storage, then just put that towards the rent of a nice, safe neighborhood. You don't want to be worried about driving the car and parking it. That will get old real quick and take all of the fun and joy of owning it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would suggest moving to a safer part of town & rent or buy a garage there. You can't do anything when you are hold at a gun point, but at least, you have done your due-diligence & have insured the car.

Having said the above, never buy a super car if you can't secure it reasonably.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You say your not super rich. I would suggest until you can afford to move to a safer community with appropriate parking then don't buy it.

Rent in a **** area may be $500. Rent in a good area may be $1000. If you can't afford the $500 difference then I don't thinks a huracan is a good idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
abc

So to clarify, I live in a not excellent part of town (the Village), but about to start a job as a entry level attorney. I'm going to try and move once that happens.

I still won't be rich but could afford a decent apartment.

I'd rather throw down on a Lambo than buy a house....the housing market is high and will pop soon.

You guys have mostly alleviated my concerns. When I move I'll try to get a place with a personal garage.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
What Lee said.

Also, congrats on the new job and your upward career path. But, keep in mind as nice as a car is, particularly Lamborghinis, they are depreciating assets for the most part (Huracan for sure, a Muira not so much). While I hear your thoughts on the housing market being frothy, there is no guarantee it will go down and even if it does overtime housing has always at least kept up with inflation and beat it handsomely over time. A suggestion if I may humbly say so is push yourself to afford the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood and maybe for now that Huracan can wait. Certainly not trying to throw a wet blanket on your dream but one is a lifelong investment and the other is a depreciating asset. Just sayin’

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have to agree with Clyde. As a developer and real estate investor for 25 years (In dfw),assuming the housing market will go down (especially in urban areas) is not a well founded assumption. Just because houses were much cheaper 4 years ago does not mean that housing today will go down. The crash of 2008 to 2013 was the worst since the great depression. If you look at housing prices pre crash and now, it is as if houses appreciated at a normal pace over the last ten years. It just all hit in the last 3 years. Same thing happened to the dow. With the growth projections for DFW and the increasing difficulty and expense of urban and suburban development, prices are likely going to continue to rise. (Unless a major economic event changes the climate drastically) DFW has one the lowest housing cost of any major metropolitan area in the US. It is home to a lot of Major builders and developers which keeps a steady supply of new housing. The problem is that it is moving further and further out, Traffic is becoming a limiting factor thus driving pricing higher closer in. It is your choice but why not buy a used Huracan or Gallardo and a condo or house? I would absolutely buy the house first. It is also the only major tax write off you will have. Enjoy it while you can because as your income goes way up the deduction goes away. Lee

·
Registered
881 Posts
I live in the Dallas area and would only have a car in a private garage, but that is me!! I also promised myself that I would drive this car more than my Vipers, which I have not done so far....so what do I know!! :D Seriously, find the safest location that you can find/afford and let insurance do the rest. Are you looking at Lambo Dallas for your car or ??

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't know what an exotic car garage would cost. What I do know is, my sons girlfriend while they attended SMU had a Gallardo SL and when she was out of school over the Christmas break she kept it at Old Parkland's parking garage, they have 24 hour security. I've also seen other cars stored there like an F40 and old Rolls and a P1 at different times. In case you didn't know Old Parkland is near downtown.
Even a gated apartment would not stop a thief unless maybe it was attended.
Maybe you could install a motion sensing flood light with a camera(like Ring) so if someone is lurking around your garage you be notified??? I dunno man, tough call.
Lambo Girl! My son was at SMU during that time and I'd see the car when I'd come in for football games.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in the Dallas area and would only have a car in a private garage, but that is me!! I also promised myself that I would drive this car more than my Vipers, which I have not done so far....so what do I know!! :D Seriously, find the safest location that you can find/afford and let insurance do the rest. Are you looking at Lambo Dallas for your car or ??
Yes I'm looking to Dallas Lambo for my car. Actually, the great reputation of Dallas Lambo is a big reason I'm so serious about buying one.

I know that if I have any problems they are only a phone call or short drive away and are really helpful and awesome.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts