Lamborghini Talk banner
141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just to update about whether to drain diff. fluid.

It is a requirement because when you remove the sensor plug, the fluid start guzzling out.

There is no other way around it unless you have something to plug it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just finished my mod. The car is SO MUCH faster now. It actually feels neckbreaking, and I get this narrowing vision when the car accelerates!

The acceleration is so fast that it feels a bit scary.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I did not remove any sensor plug and never drained a drop of fluid? Mine is sitting on the shelf full of fluid. Not sure if you have a different diff in yours? Glad you like the mod though. I would never go back to AWD. Enjoy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just to update about whether to drain diff. fluid.

It is a requirement because when you remove the sensor plug, the fluid start guzzling out.

There is no other way around it unless you have something to plug it.
You just unplug the sensor, there is no need to pull out the sensor. The sensor does not even need to be grounded just ziptie it out of way.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree the front end is to light and rebounds to quickly with the weight removed. As mentioned suspension and shock valves are different on the factory models. I put my diff back in and left the axles out and the car seems much more planted. Other plus is the diff is not laying around the garage someplace and safe bolted in the car. Think about this you are taking all this weight off the front wheels especially with no engine up there and the weight transfer under accelation and the nose setup in a corner and most are not doing any suspension changes.

Adjusting the factory shocks does nothing for the internal valve only the spring pressure and that is for ride height only. I have the axles out with the diff still installed. The eurocharged ecu tune and the sprint booster and the car is awesome! The above is similar if anyone is familiar with motocross suspension. A bike valved for a 200 pound guy is not going to work for a 165 pound guy. It will be stiffer and the rebound will be to fast and the shock will be out of its ideal travel range wanting to be hard and or buck the person off the seat. This is also called bumpsteer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No turning radius is not improved, I can still turn sharper in my Tahoe.

Yes clutch life is improved because there is less weight and less rotational weight to moved.

Leaving the diff in the car to me would have defeated the reason I did the mod. I wanted the car to be more neutral and it is neutral now. Removing the weight off the front makes the front handle better.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Turning radius is greatly improved
How can turning radius be improved? The steering wheel still turns exactly the same amount. You aren't adding or subtracting anything to make the turning radius change. The only thing you will notice is it doesn't feel like a 4x4 anymore when turning really sharp. It gets rid of most of the wheel scrub but as far as turning radius, it is exactly the same. In order for the turning radius to improve, the steering rack would have to change as well as all the steering components. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The car will turn in a smaller radius with the awd disconnected. Just as a 4x4 or plow truck will as it does not bind, push across or chatter on the pavement. Everyone has there opinion for sure. The car wants to bump steer and is light with the weight removed. Leaving the front diff in is not defeating the reason for this mod to me. My diff is in to keep it out of the garage and the weight over the stock suspension setup just like lambo designed and valved the suspension for. I do not think the techs at lambo just pointed on the assembly line and said yes that one has awd and that one doesn't and did not change anything else. Again coming from many years of different types of suspension setups to me I noticed it and did not like it. You are taking all that weight off the front end with springs and valving designed for that factory weight and setup.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lamborghini, like most manufacturers for safety, has the stock suspension set for under steer. When you remove the weight off the front you are effectively increasing the spring and shock rates in the front. This along with the less mass helps the front handle better and I think it is perfectly balanced now. The turn in is better, the ride is better it is good all around.

The things I read about some of the factory 2wd models is Lambo softened the suspension, so it wouldn't handle as good.... can't have the 2wd model outperform the AWD model.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes and if the valving and spring rate is not corrected for the less weight the rebound will be faster and can bump steer and make the front feel light. This is the case on pretty much anything with a suspension.. Again to each is his own.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Lamborghini, like most manufacturers for safety, has the stock suspension set for under steer. When you remove the weight off the front you are effectively increasing the spring and shock rates in the front. This along with the less mass helps the front handle better and I think it is perfectly balanced now. The turn in is better, the ride is better it is good all around.

The things I read about some of the factory 2wd models is Lambo softened the suspension, so it wouldn't handle as good.... can't have the 2wd model outperform the AWD model.
"The things I read about some of the factory 2wd models is Lambo softened the suspension, so it wouldn't handle as good.... can't have the 2wd model outperform the AWD model.[/QUOTE]"

Please post those articles that back up your statement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got finished doing my install on my 08 SL. The febest outer stubs have been out of stock for some time but I found febest 1710-011A45 has the same specs, just about a cm longer.(the CV part that I was going to cut down anyway) Got them on Amazon for $44 a piece.
then I cut them down myself......super easy....here is the weight difference before and after

141 - 160 of 170 Posts