Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question, I was wanting to pick up a used Countach or early diablo that has been in some sort of accident that would require a complete restoration. How much can you expect to pay for a type of car that has been in a major accident? If you see any examples with pictures (don't know why I like pictures) post the link here. Thanks for the replies. Adam96, how much did you pay for your 91 Diablo and what was its condition when purchased?

Brandon.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I'm the guy your looking for

Brandon: Quick, nothing quick about this question.

As you can tell from my user name, I'm the guy your looking for.

First, it may be a wait before you pick up the one you want as a wreck. The one you pick is very important. Make sure you know everything about the car. You want and make sure you know ALL the pros and cons about every piece of the restoration including the market value of the final completed car.

Second, the price you should pay depends on the damage and how much work you need to do. Also, how particular you are to detail. This alone will drive up the cost quickly. I can tell you first hand...IT AIN'T CHEAP! :( Things you think would normally cost about $1000 cost $5000. If you do the work yourself, you will save a bundle. Even if you do only one part of the restoration, it will save you $. For example, I intend to paint the car myself. Although I am not doing it myself to save money, (just kidding :eek: ) I estimate I will save about $15,000.

Third, Time...time...time...time. You will need lots and lots of time. My car is way ahead of schedule and it's been over 6 months at the shop and will be another month before I get it back. When I get it back it will take me about 3 months to complete the paint. I priced the paint and the main reason I am doing it myself is time. I want to drive the car this spring and summer and don't want to waste another year thinking about driving it.

Finally,
I would recommend it highly. Before I started I didn't know a thing about a Diablo. It has been a learning experience for me. However, remember the money factor. If you don't calculate the cost properly, you may pay way more than the car is worth. If you care about this sort of thing, don't do a restoration, especially if your not going to do some of it yourself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. Time hasn't been on my side lately, but it was just a project I wanted to get into and have my dad help me since he has always been into restoring cars. Thanks again! Any ideas on where to look for one in really bad condition?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can't buy the cars at wreckedexotics.com can you?? What should I expect to pay for a 91 Diablo in pretty bad shape? and what are the best places to look? I want either a 85 Countach or a 91 Diablo, preferrably the Diablo, but i'll be happy with either.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Brandon,
As I said in my post above, the price you pay depends on what work needs to be done to the car you buy.

On ebay now is a 91 in perfect condition with low miles. The reserve is $115,000. This is top end of the market for a 91 in very good shape. However, if you buy that car at that price you will still need to do a major service because it was never in the shop. Just the basic upgrades will cost around $10,000. Also, the interior looks good but the leather on the dash and other areas are shrinking, and if this bothers you, it will have to be replaced ($2000-$5000).

Work backwards:
Need major engine work $25,000 (could be more if in that bad shape)
Need misc. brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, $15,000
Need paint $10,000 - $20,000 depending on the job
Need interior $10,000 - $20,000 depending on what you like
(prices above don't include major damage and body parts costs)

So, take it in reverse on the high side: $25 + $15 + $20 + $20 = $70

If money is a factor and the market (plus) for a perfect car is let's say $125,000 (which you won't get back) you shouldn't pay more than $55,000. However, if you are going to do most of the work yourself, you can discount the above restoration costs over 50%.

Keep in mind that when the car is finished it is no longer a used car, no matter what year it is. It is NEW! This justifies the price above market. No different than taking a new one off the lot and selling it the next day...depreciation.

You need to keep your eyes and ears hunting. Auctions, repos, word of mouth, call all the lambo clubs, etc would be a good start. By time it gets to the internet it's usually gone or priced out of range. Also, keep in mind, most wrecks are worth more for parts.

I'll let you know if I see one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, i'll definately keep my eyes peeled! Thanks for the detailed reply!

·
Registered
13 Posts
oops ...should have looked closer. i gather paith has '01 Diablo already / in that since i suppose mine could be for parts depending on how long planned to own '01 ... which ought to be a long time since the consensis seems to be that '01 6.0 VT is one of best L's ever!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some people know! Pics soon, teaching at Dental School is taking all of my time! Now, I have a practice and have started teaching I have practically no time for myself or the car! Its gorgeous though! everytime I walk into the garage all I'm like :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey Brandon congrads...

First of all I paid about 80K for mine with about 15000 miles not Kms on it..I did have to have a major service on it and also spent money on full undercarriage restoration on it....I wouldnt sell mine now for 100K

adam..ps heres a link below to pics of my car with restoration..shes showroom now..the front spolier protector or as some of you would call it, a front splitter blends in so well you cant even tell its there..thanks again Ben for a great job! :D

http://gallery.viperclub.org/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4718

1 - 11 of 11 Posts