I have an Espada 3 that has been resting for 9 years. Engine ran well until switched off in 1995. Gulp..where do I start? I am inclined to try and get her running again first before undertaking any major work. Any experience out there.
I've started many engines that have sat for long periods. First thing to do is clean the rings and cylnder bores of any rust and corrosion. Pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with AutoTrans Oil or Prefferably something like Rislone which is specifically for cleaning upper cylinders, you can also use WD40 or Marvel Mystery Oil or 3in1 Oil. Once all the cylnders are full let stand for a couple days while you drain all the old gas, charge the battery etc. Then intially turn the egine over a few times with the flywheel....once you have the engine turning freely cover all the Spark Plug holes with rags and crank a couple times with the starter. After all the oil you poured in the cylinders is pushed out and the engine has cranked over a few times add more oil to the cylinders, let stand awhile and repeat the cranking for a longer duration. If everything looks good to go at that point, install plugs and to start. Warm engine for a few minutes, provided it has oil pressure then shut off and change the oil and filter. Start again and slowly break the engine back in making sure not to overheat, no fuel problems and good oil pressure. Tune as necc. from there.
OK chaps, I have made some progress with the job. Everything flushed through and new fluids, cylinders had a good soaking per JRV's advice. Motor now turns freely, new plugs in (eventually!) turns nicely on starter & with oil pressure looking good. But...no spark & I'm not very good at electrics, wiring seems a bit dodgy on the lower trigger box, presumably should be wired up the same as the top one?
Since the engine was running 9 years ago check for corrosion in the connectors. Just pull them and reconnect helps a lot, then check also the points in the distributor.
Electric stuff can be annoying I know from my countach...
Ok I have removed the distributor, cleaned points & connections put everything back together & voila, a nice strong spark.
I had hoped to start her this evening but now the fuel pump is not cooperating, it is making a few limp noises but not pumping anything meaningful.
Ok, so I should have done the job properly in the first place. Everything now cleaned out, fuel pump dismantled & cleaned out everything degunged. She fired up nicely at the weekend after 9 years inactivity. Thanks for the advice guys.