Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2019 rosso mars metallic Huracan with black wheels with steel brakes and would appreciate pointers. The interior is a combination of both leather and Alcantara. I will be using the 3 bucket technique with grit guards (X2) and I have quite a few detailing products but I would like to know chemicals/soaps that each of you may like or recommend. Firstly, when I had the CCBs I used only simple green to clean the wheel rims would that be sufficient with the Huracans steel brakes? When I clean my cars with its steel brakes I use Meguiars wheel brightener diluted 10:1....is that okay with the black Huracan wheels? I have used Tar X to remove tar off of my silver colored wheels/rims is that okay to use on black wheels/rims? Soaps for the car I use Meguairs Gold class and Chemical Guys Honeydew for the soap cannon. With the open rear bonnet how do you guys wash it to avoid getting too much soap in the engine bay? What do you use to clean the engine bay? Should I rinse the car as a final rinse with distilled water to decrease the likelihood of water spots.......though this may be unnecessary since I never wash the car in the sun and dry it immediately with a leaf blower and microfiber towels. I would appreciate some general tips, that is, thing that work and things to avoid doing when when detailing a Huracan. Car detailing is a hobby and I enjoy it and I just want to get the best advice/recommendations from the forum experts.

Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
I use Zaino products in and out. Mine never really gets dirty, but I detail it lightly after every drive. I hate those steel brakes, that鈥檚 the toughest part, even after a short drive. When I had CCBs it was a breeze.

Registered
I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR), two bucket method with grit guard. Dry with Blower and microfiber towels. Don鈥檛 have to worry about engine bay. Never have water spots.
Can鈥檛 offer any advice on steel brakes, I have CCBs. Wheels are ceramic coated. Clean them just like the car.
Wipe down engine bay with ONR dampened microfiber towel. Never gets dirty, just slightly dusty.
ONR can also be used as a detailer. Just a different ratio of product to water. Check their website.
FYI, car is matte black and has Expel Stealth PPF and Ceramic Pro coating.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #4
I use Zaino products in and out. Mine never really gets dirty, but I detail it lightly after every drive. I hate those steel brakes, that鈥檚 the toughest part, even after a short drive. When I had CCBs it was a breeze.
Agree about the CCBs I have learned to love them. Though, with the CCBs I could not use the Meguiars Acid wheel brightener so I used the "simple green" which worked well.

I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR), two bucket method with grit guard. Dry with Blower and microfiber towels. Don鈥檛 have to worry about engine bay. Never have water spots.
Can鈥檛 offer any advice on steel brakes, I have CCBs. Wheels are ceramic coated. Clean them just like the car.
Wipe down engine bay with ONR dampened microfiber towel. Never gets dirty, just slightly dusty.
ONR can also be used as a detailer. Just a different ratio of product to water. Check their website.
FYI, car is matte black and has Expel Stealth PPF and Ceramic Pro coating.
I already have ONR and, in fact, just mixed a new batch today to use when detailing my wife's car. I also have been using "Aero Wash and Wax All" after a drive to remove the bugs works great.....may try this in the engine bay as well. I typically use a power washer so I may cover the rear bonnet openings with a towel and also not spray directly into the vent holes.

Premium Member
1. Firstly, when I had the CCBs I used only simple green to clean the wheel rims would that be sufficient with the Huracans steel brakes?

2. When I clean my cars with its steel brakes I use Meguiars wheel brightener diluted 10:1....is that okay with the black Huracan wheels?

3. I have used Tar X to remove tar off of my silver colored wheels/rims is that okay to use on black wheels/rims?

4. Soaps for the car I use Meguairs Gold class and Chemical Guys Honeydew for the soap cannon.

5. With the open rear bonnet how do you guys wash it to avoid getting too much soap in the engine bay? What do you use to clean the engine bay? Should I rinse the car as a final rinse with distilled water to decrease the likelihood of water spots.......though this may be unnecessary since I never wash the car in the sun and dry it immediately with a leaf blower and microfiber towels.
Attached photo is some of my car cleaning goods to show that we probably have the same hobby. I have about a hundred of different type of bottles - all protected nicely in a thick ziplock and stored in my thick medicine cabinets.

1. Are you talking about the steel rotors? Yeah, they are known to rust like crazy with oxidizing cleaner. You may want to use the 3M cleaner near the rotors because it has less oxidizing agent. For the wheel and tires, I use Armorall wheel and tire cleaner to break all the dirts out. Armorall has a very strong oxidizing agent but cleans like a pro, so I usually avoid getting that to the rotors.

2. That product has ammonium bifluoride which has some rust resistance. It should be fine to use that on black wheels.

3. That is made from orange peel, right? It should be fine to use that to remove tar because it just dissolve protein and nothing else. It won't dissolve coating. Just don't leave it on for many hours. Spray and rinse.

4. I found that any soaps would do. The trick is to not leave the soap for too long. I use 3M, Sonax, etc. I used to use a soap cannon, but haven't been since several years ago because it puts too much soap on the surface. I just spray the car carefully with water thoroughly (no pressured wash) to take out the gritty particles, then use a soapy bucket with microfiber towel to apply the soap manually. It's a PITA, but works best for me.

5. Use only water to spray the bonnet and avoid using soap cannon. You do not want soap to get in there, dry out and getting sticky. Actually, if you like to use soap cannon and the soap gets into the bonnet, just spray the bonnet with plain water. You can also spray the engine with water too from the top (it's sealed). Just don't submerge the engine into water or use a powerful pressured spray :D

About avoiding water spots, we have the same trick to wash the car and use blower to dry the surface quickly. Also, a good ceramic coating would help. I have this water filter that I use for car wash. It removes practically anything from the water. I used it for about 8 times and then it is now collecting dust. Water filter works but it's really not necessary, so may want to save your money on that.

Attachments

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #6
@Sakura, thanks for the detailed response to all my questions and I will buy some the products you recommended. I generally use the Tar X on a microfiber towel and apply it to the tar flecks them spray with distilled water so I do not leave any residue on the rim. I purchased a Kranzle K1122 power washer and love to use it but I will set that aside when cleaning the Huracan. Also I agree about the distilled water and used it for my 2RS and 3RS but I just got tired of setting up the WORX hydroshot and stopped using it. As I stated I never wash in the sun and after I use the leaf blower I dry with MF towels.
BTW, respect I appreciate how organized your setup is; I tend to like being organized because when detailing cars and in life it's more efficient and saves time in the long run.

Premium Member
@Lambo218, that is some serious equipment you got there :) K1122 and hydroshot are very nice equipment. I have more or less the same comparable device. Just they are too overpowered for paint care.

Black coated rims are very hard to care. There is a product called armorall brake dust repellent. I'm sure you have heard of it. It works wonders for silver / chrome rims. If you look at its composition, it should be applied with a microfiber towel than by direct spraying on the contrary to the label. It has petroleum and silicone lubricants (Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane) which means that you can get the same or better result (without that white streak) using microfiber towel than by spraying it directly onto the surface. You just need to apply it in thin layer & quickly with the towel as the residue dries fast. May want to try that out.

Registered

Have watched a lot of his videos and have used the products he recommends with good success.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #9

Have watched a lot of his videos and have used the products he recommends with good success.
Thank you. I like watching his videos, in fact, I bought my Kranzle K-1122 TST and several quick attachments, wand, sprayer, and foam cannon MTM Hydro PF22 from him.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #11
Yep I have the same system from him. Works great.
Have you bought the new MTM PF22.2 bottle? The wide base looks pretty useful.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet been waiting For the PF22 Quick Disconnect Package To get back in stock to order.
I ordered it from Detailing Supply CO. it was better price than with Matt at Obsessed Garage.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #16
Let me know how the quick disconnect work out for you.
I have had the quick disconnect equipment for over a year now and it is well worth the money.

As an aside, for other forum members, the Kranzle (K1122TST) is a great electric power washer but it is heavy (weighs ~ 80lbs) and not that much better than the less costly models and is not worth the extra expense. Having said that I wanted the best but to be clear the best was not that much better than my previous Sun Joe SPX3001 electric power washer which was a fraction of the cost.

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #17
5. Use only water to spray the bonnet and avoid using soap cannon. You do not want soap to get in there, dry out and getting sticky. Actually, if you like to use soap cannon and the soap gets into the bonnet, just spray the bonnet with plain water. You can also spray the engine with water too from the top (it's sealed). Just don't submerge the engine into water or use a powerful pressured spray :D
I would like your impressions of this idea....good, bad or ugly. I have sheets of vinyl that has been laying around and given that the engine bonnet is somewhat exposed I will cut strips to cover the open areas and trim them to fit (see attached, note not yet trimmed). The thing I like about vinyl is the surface tension will help keep it in place. This should prevent direct spray into the bonnet, and one other idea, making sure the engine is cool before I start, lay a cheap beach towel under the glass bonnet to catch any excess water, probably overkill, but a fun experiment. This would take a couple of minutes to setup, less than five, but cut the engine bay detailing time down to a fraction of what it would otherwise be. BTW, if I use the soap cannon I will avoid the rear bonnet area and just use a soap mitt to clean that area after first removing my makeshift plastic covers.

Attachments

Premium Member
2019 Huracan 580-2
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I ordered and received the MTM PF22.2 replacement bottle. It has a nice wide base but there is a little wobble to it. I guess the bottom of the container is not perfectly flat. Let me know if anyone else that has ordered it and has the same issue.
A helpful tip: when I add the soap and water I use a cap to seal the top so I can shake it and mix it together thoroughly, and I found these cheap wine bottle caps on Amazon work perfect (see attached).

Attachments

Premium Member
I would like your impressions of this idea....good, bad or ugly. I have sheets of vinyl that has been laying around and given that the engine bonnet is somewhat exposed I will cut strips to cover the open areas and trim them to fit (see attached, note not yet trimmed). The thing I like about vinyl is the surface tension will help keep it in place. This should prevent direct spray into the bonnet, and one other idea, making sure the engine is cool before I start, lay a cheap beach towel under the glass bonnet to catch any excess water, probably overkill, but a fun experiment. This would take a couple of minutes to setup, less than five, but cut the engine bay detailing time down to a fraction of what it would otherwise be. BTW, if I use the soap cannon I will avoid the rear bonnet area and just use a soap mitt to clean that area after first removing my makeshift plastic covers.
It's a good idea. Another idea is to just cut a set of rubber blocks in stripes and stuff it into the bonnet's holes. They are reusable too. You can also mark the rubbers with numbers to indicate their order. That way you don't have to cut things every time and can save some work.

Premium Member
I ordered and received the MTM PF22.2 replacement bottle. It has a nice wide base but there is a little wobble to it. I guess the bottom of the container is not perfectly flat. Let me know if anyone else that has ordered it and has the same issue.
A helpful tip: when I add the soap and water I use a cap to seal the top so I can shake it and mix it together thoroughly, and I found these cheap wine bottle caps on Amazon work perfect (see attached).
The wobble is caused by manufacturing defects. The plastics are pulled out too quickly from the moldings. I wouldn't be surprised if it is made in China. Temperature can also cause the bottle to deform if the material is stored improperly or made with wrong composition.

That wine bottle caps is a good idea. I've never known they have the same size! I usually just use my hand to seal it temporarily before shaking it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts