Lamborghini Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New to the forum because I am in the market for a G. I was referred to Cats Exotics because apparently they have a good reputation and sell good vehicles. I found this listed on their site for a good price, and even though it had an accident in the history, they told me it was light damaged and unnoticable. That it was in great shape. So we made a deal and I had a PPI performed.

The PPI came back horrible. The tech said, "absolutely do not buy this car." I used this forum to look up some history on Gallardos out there and just wanted to add documentation about this in case anyone else is in the hunt like I am. I am kind of pissed at cats because I wasted my money on a PPI with how bad the problems are, like the fact it does not idle. A reputable dealer should not be selling a car that can't idle properly and having a customer waste their own money on a PPI.

Here are the notes from the tech

2005 Silver Gallardo E-Gear

-The tint on drivers window is coming up at the door panel endge.
-The rear view mirror is broken and delaminating.
-The AC is not blowing cool and only blows 85 degrees.
-The exterior has been egged and the paint is chipped.
-The paint has had a detail from the egg and has burnt through the clear coat.
-The front bumper has been resprayed.
-Minor scrapes under front bumper.
-There is a brake noise on the right front brake. That corner is 20% less on pad wear. Rusty
-The clutch is at 30% worn.
-The clutch is NOT working right and has major shifting issues and/or something else going on.
-The car does NOT idle correctly and dies after about 2 minutes. urges, flutters and dies everytime. Will not do an engine self-learn.
-Vehicle pulls right when driving and braing.
-There is damage to the right front fender at bumper corner. Metal is torn.
-There is a coolant leak at the engine-body hoses and also up front at bleeder hose.
-There is an oil leak under the intake system.
-There is tons of underbody corrosion around joints and all hardware, mounts and framing.
-The tires are all 4mm wear. Minimum thickness.
-The oil and gearbox fluid is dirty. Engine oil is low.
-The left front and right rear shocks are leaking.
-Only has one key.

If anyone is looking to sell an 05-08 egear with 20-40k miles, let me know. In the meantime, I hope I save one person the headache of paying for a PPI or ending up with this lemon.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Wow! Surprised that happened with CATS! Maybe things have changed. He has had a good reputation on the forum?

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,089 Posts
Jeffery, for what it is worth you just joined eight hours ago and this is your first and only post, so the rest of us posters will take your comments with quite a big grain of salt.

Cats Exotics and Roy have been known to this group and many of us personally for a long time and he comes with a very high reputation. You may have gotten some sort of a bad example, but this would be completely out of character and not at all the reputation he has. By way of disclosure, I have zero business interest with Roy. I have never bought a car from him but I know him personally as do many on this site.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,111 Posts
@jefferey13, sorry to hear about your misadventure but on the bright side you did your due diligence and avoided what could have been a major misstep. Don't get discouraged, and remain determined to find your dream car. Although, you think you wasted money on the PPI I think quite the opposite...........it was a smart decision, an investment that saved you money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
@jefferey13, sorry to hear about your misadventure but on the bright side you did your due diligence and avoided what could have been a major misstep. Don't get discouraged, and remain determined to find your dream car. Although, you think you wasted money on the PPI I think quite the opposite...........it was a smart decision, an investment that saved you money in the long run.
The PPI was a small price to pay for avoiding this gallardo.

·
Vendor
2,520 Posts
The PPI was a small price to pay for avoiding this gallardo.
PPI always worth it. $500 best peace of mind you can get.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,111 Posts
No PPI = penny wise and (huge) dollar foolish, no doubt.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think the key here is what was Cats' reply to your PPI? Where they surprised and willing to work with you or make some accommodations or were they dismissive of you?

Like others, I don't feel you wasted money on the PPI... rather it's exactly what it was for. It's the cost of doing business or being in the market. When I got my 08, the PPI came back really good, but I still used what info I got to negotiate new tires, the 15k service and a few other things, which the seller paid out of pocket to MY shop, so that was an additional few grand off the price. I felt the PPI was well worth the cost, even if the G needed some work done, I was able to still save money (even though I had to spend money to save money). In your case, you spent X dollars to potentially save THOUSANDS.

That said, wow, I've never known Cats to even have something like this in inventory.

PS - under NO circumstances would I consider a car with an accident on its carfax. NEVER, no matter how cheap it is or how "well" the repairs were done. I worked at high end body shop for a few years and we had some of the best guys running the paint booth and mechanical repair shops... I'm talking like they used to work AT the factory as master techs and even had PPG reps coming to US when they wanted to test out paints, etc. The take away from that experience was if you can avoid paintwork/body repairs do. Unpainted/no damage Gs will always command higher values for this exact reason.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Wow! Surprised that happened with CATS! Maybe things have changed. He has had a good reputation on the forum?
Jeffery, for what it is worth you just joined eight hours ago and this is your first and only post, so the rest of us posters will take your comments with quite a big grain of salt.

Cats Exotics and Roy have been known to this group and many of us personally for a long time and he comes with a very high reputation. You may have gotten some sort of a bad example, but this would be completely out of character and not at all the reputation he has. By way of disclosure, I have zero business interest with Roy. I have never bought a car from him but I know him personally as do many on this site.
Nothing surprises me
I don’t care if it’s cats exotics or the Pope.
If there is a direct question about fitness of any car and the salesperson misrepresents, without misunderstanding, there is cause to warn. One post or not, we should be thankful if this helps others.
I have personal experience from a “reputable” “ shop 100% misrepresenting a good car and then not wanting to take responsibility.
Caveat emptor.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get that, but I had no reason to have an account before this. It's just that I had used this forum as a resource when searching, so I felt I should post some data back to help others in the future. But I hope you can see the specifics I listed about the car are much too specific than me just making something up.

Ya, I just think in this situation there were such glaring problems with how the car runs, there should have been more transparency up front from a reputable shop. If this was FB marketplace I would get it.

I think the key here is what was Cats' reply to your PPI? Where they surprised and willing to work with you or make some accommodations or were they dismissive of you?
They didn't care at all. I took the time to call and let them know. I thought they would maybe be grateful but it was basically "ya sometimes we can't make a deal. That's fine." The total phone convo was probably 30 seconds before they got off.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I get that, but I had no reason to have an account before this. It's just that I had used this forum as a resource when searching, so I felt I should post some data back to help others in the future. But I hope you can see the specifics I listed about the car are much too specific than me just making something up.

Ya, I just think in this situation there were such glaring problems with how the car runs, there should have been more transparency up front from a reputable shop. If this was FB marketplace I would get it.

They didn't care at all. I took the time to call and let them know. I thought they would maybe be grateful but it was basically "ya sometimes we can't make a deal. That's fine." The total phone convo was probably 30 seconds before they got off.
Jefferey,
Thanks for posting the detail of your interaction with CATS. Roy has an excellent reputation on this forum but I also have had one less than satisfactory experience with him when I was just looking for some information on a car that he had. This is just another example of why it is always necessary to exercise due diligence no matter how reputable a dealer may be. The aggravation of spending money on the PPI is probably minor compared to what you may have endured if you bought the car and then had to deal with the attitude you described in trying to resolve the issues noted. Good luck with your search. There are plenty of great cars out there. Be patient and you will find what you're looking for.

·
Vendor
2,520 Posts
Looks pretty clean:

But I look at any car I buy in person beforehand. Some don’t but there’s always things that can’t be seen in pics. When looking at Ferrari’s, One that looked at smelled horrible inside. So bad I couldn’t get that particular one. Everyone has things they can and can’t live with but an Italian Exoticare should smell like Italian leather. It’s one of the great things about these cars too that’s special

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,111 Posts
I hear you and understand your disappointment, heck I would be disappointed as well.........next time is going to be a charm. Hang tough my friend! (y)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Who did the PPI? Not everyone knows how to check the oil in the Gallardo, it's not as simple as just pulling out the dipstick. Also, a little oil underneath the intake on a Gallardo is probably just residual from an oil change, the oil filter resides under the intake manifold and people (idiots) often spill a little when replacing it. Not excusing this car if it actually has an oil leak, but someone doing the PPI might not really know what they're looking at unless they're really familiar with the Gallardo. 30% worn clutch means you've got 70% clutch life left, quite good actually. And rusty brakes? I mean c'mon they aren't made of stainless steel and if you leave any car out in the rain or wash it and don't drive it much after, the brakes will be rusty. Many of the other things seem very minor to me and actually quite acceptable given the asking price of ~$85k. Paint has chips? Ok it's a 2005, at least someone resprayed the front bumper to fix the inevitable stone chips there. Scrapes under the front bumper? Yup pretty common on a car so low. Oil and gearbox fluid is "dirty"? Seems like a somewhat subjective statement. Just playing devil's advocate here.

The other issues, the clutch not engaging or shifting correctly, the engine stumbling and eventually stalling, the leaks from the shocks...completely unacceptable in my opinion if Cats didn't describe those things. Those sound like issues that would require immediate attention and considerable dollars to simply drive the car normally. Looking at the ad on Cats website, I thought it was interesting how they had pictures of every wheel, except the passenger side front wheel which would have been a close up of the damage on that fender. Glad you got the PPI done. Sorry it was full of bad news, but as others have said, you actually got your money's worth from the PPI. Keep searching and you'll find the right car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@EvanK Yes, I agree a lot of those things on the list are normal or not huge problems. I just wanted to post the entire report. I would be upset if I paid for a full ppi and they didn't include everything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK, my turn here. I am Roy Cats the owner of CATS EXOTICS. Your statement is correct, HOWEVER you are leaving a few important things out. I have included a copy of the add. Yes, this is not a perfect car. YES WE require a PPI performed on all our cars, you even sign a form stating that. Why, so a third independent eye can tell us what its lacking and what it needs. We advised everyone of the accident, as a matter of fact TWO accidents that it has listed on CarFax, both minor damage according to the reports. We, being aware that this car was not a "Cream Puff" agreed to a price reflective of the cars condition at $74K INCLUDING enclosed shipping to you (cost of $2K). so car was $72K...

Once you had the PPI done, you called us. You were very specific, "There is to much wrong with it...I dont want it"...

You did not share the PPI with us, you never allowed me nor asked me what we could do to make the car work for you. You just decided it was to bad and didn't want it. That's your choice. BUT I never hid anything from you...I AM GLAD the PPI was done. If you would have talked to me, MOST all these items could have easily been corrected by me prior to delivery, minus the cosmetics, which it is what it is for its age, miles, accident history and ABOVE all its price...$72K..

I am not sure how perfect of a 15 year old higher mile car you expect for $72K. Yes its not the car we normally sell. But it has value to some one at the correct price. I thank you for NOW sharing the PPI report with us. I can now have the shop make the corrections and have another customer to be happy with their purchase at the price fits the car. Many people here can attest to the fact I have lost money on cars, just to make sure their correct and the customer would be happy.

To be quite frank, all you had to do was ask and you would have easily been taken care of. Sorry you feel we didn't make you happy I wish you best of luck in your search fro the perfect car at $72K..

ROY L CATS
President/Owner
Cats Exotics

·
Registered
84 Posts
A little update. I OWN the car for $65,059.00 today. Be MORE then happy to let you have it for $65,000.00 today and you can correct whatever you feel you want. I will still honor my free shipping included. So the car is delivered to your door for $65K....OR ANYONE else that wants it today delivered at $65K

Thanks
Roy

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.