Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a page out of SilverGTS book and decided to be more precise on the process and show more pictures and descriptions. I am waiting for the struts to come in so here is the beginning of the process. I will update it as soon as the come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Excellent Post David!!! And timely too, as I need to remove my sturts.

Instead of rebuilding them myself, I'm sending them down to Ground Control for them to install new Koni inserts.

I'll post "before and after" shots of mine too.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it was finally nice enough in Chicago to get the car out. I took it out of about a half hour to test the struts. Everything seems to work great. There are no issues. I strongly suggest having the ends milled down at a machine shop. This was a lot easier than the way I did the rear ones. All in all it was a fun job. At $220 for both front and back it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Finally I found the time to include this great information on the jalpa-page, also the problems page got some updates.

I have to restructure the whole information, let's hope the weekend gives some free time...

http://www.jalpa.ch/Struts/index.html

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
427 Posts
Back in 2007 Ground Control rebuild my shocks on my old Jalpa with koni inserts, I called them today to have them rebuild my new Jalpas shocks, and they said they know longer can do Jalpas. Where can I buy the Koni inserts for my car and what are the parts numbers for the koins front and back?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in 2007 Ground Control rebuild my shocks on my old Jalpa with koni inserts, I called them today to have them rebuild my new Jalpas shocks, and they said they know longer can do Jalpas. Where can I buy the Koni inserts for my car and what are the parts numbers for the koins front and back?
Are you going to track the car? If not you can do all 4 for the price of one Koni shock. Up to you but the ride is great with the monroe struts I used.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No track, My car is for the road, please post or PM me the info on the Monroe struts, I would like to check them out.
The rear are Monroe SensaTrack strut cartridges (#73264 @ $44 each). I cannot believe I did not post the numbers for the front ones. I will see what I can dig up on which ones I used for the front.

·
Registered
134 Posts
david, hope all is well with you! i too would be interested in this data for the front...i assume some custom fitment is required on the monroe struts?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
david, hope all is well with you! i too would be interested in this data for the front...i assume some custom fitment is required on the monroe struts?
Things are great, the businesses are all very busy, so no complaints there. As for the struts there is not much needed other than taking the insides out and drilling out the threaded cap and the strut mount or having a machine shop mill down the end of the shaft which is the recommended route. Very easy overall. I will get the part numbers for the front inserts and post it soon.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay, I looked everything up again. I believe I used the same cartridges for front and back. If you look at the Koni inserts that have been used they have a body length of 13"; Max Length of 21.25"; Min Length 15.25"; and a 6" stroke or travel. (The fitment of the Konis was close but not perfect. It needed a ½” spacer in the bottom and some machining on the cast iron fitment ring) This would mean the body length should be 13.5" or more. The threaded cap has about 2 inches of threads so the extra .25" on the monroe is no issue.

The Monroe 73264 has a 13.75" body length; Max Length 20.5"; Min Length of 14.75 and a 5.75" travel.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
On a recommendation from PREO, I gave "Ground-Control" in LA a call about having top-mounts and shocks done. The conversation got started in the Urraco section, but I thought it was worth posting in this thread as well.

Their camber plate is $299 per pair with a $100 fee to modify the towers to fit. They do the same set up front and rear, so to do both front and rear is about $800. When doing their conversion, they will modify the towers to take modern Koni dampers, which they quoted me at $199 per. To get the complete Ground Control system with Koni dampers is about $1600 for all four corners.

They told me that the original towers need to be sent in so they can modify them to fit. (It did not sound like the top-hat would work otherwise.)

This information is based on a phone call to Ground-Control 4/23/2013

The nice thing about this option is that you ship off your 4 towers and get them back ready to bolt in. I did not ask about other shock options.

While on the phone with them, they told me Koni can still rebuild the original shocks (I have heard this was not the case in the past, but the person I talked to seemed adamant that they do.)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I Called Ground Control last year and they said that did not work on Jalpa shock anymore, so I had PSI rebuild my shocks with Koni dampers, I look at putting Monroe dampers in it but shop price was more then the dampers so I went with the Koni‘s, PSI did good job, the price was $400 each.

Here the link for PSI
Performance Shock, Inc

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I saw your post earlier in this thread. When I talked to Ground Control, they gave every indication that they would rebuild mine along with the prices above. I will look into PSI as well.

I Called Ground Control last year and they said that did not work on Jalpa shock anymore, so I had PSI rebuild my shocks with Koni dampers, I look at putting Monroe dampers in it but shop price was more then the dampers so I went with the Koni‘s, PSI did good job, the price was $400 each.

Here the link for PSI
Performance Shock, Inc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts