1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Gallardo 6-speed manual
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to remove the part #12 in the diagram below:

Anyone knows how to do that? If possible, I'd like to avoid removing the whole dashboard. From the diagram, it looks like it's only held by the screw #41. But I find that a bit strange. So if anyone has an idea, I'd really appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pretty certain you have to remove panel 13 (that pops straight up-held in with retention clips). It looks like the 3 gauge cluster will have to be removed as well because the supports for panel 12 run beneath those gauges. You may also have to remove the two lower dash panels (14 and 19). There are likely screws behind those panels that hold 12 in place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea h'es correct i've done this. 13 pops up with some plastic trim pry tools then slides out. There are a few other bolts to remove and it will come out, not very difficult of a job.
Do you happen to remember which bolts were holding the part in place?
I have removed 13, but when I try to budge the two arms from part 12 that sit around 13, with the intention to figure out where it is attached, I can see that 12 is really stable and well fixed. But for the life of me I cannot see where the fixing bolts are :(
I think I’ll try to remove the trim around the gear lever and try to start prying part 12 from the bottom and see where it goes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I have removed the gearbox trim and the handbrake panel. And there I could find the first pair of bolts holding part 12 in place.

I tried to pull a bit, and I could see very clearly that the part was still attached somewhere around the vent area... after I started touching around there, I could feel very clearly that the center part of the dashboard (part 12) was held together with two screws to the main dashboard part (part 18).

Also, I could experience the same thing in the area under part 13. So all in all, right now, there are four additional points keeping part 12 attached to the main dashboard. These are in red in the picture down here. The two top ones screw upwards from bottom to top, while the two bottom ones screw from the front of the car to the back (i.e. towards the driver):

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior

Unfortunately, there isn't enough wiggle room to remove these screws. The screwdriver just doesn't fit. I might be able to get away with removing the screws on the left-hand side by removing the instrument cluster first, and accessing them through that hole. But I have no solution for the ones on the right hand side.

Right now, the only solution I can imagine is to remove the whole dashboard, which I'd reaaaaaaaaally want to avoid doing. It seems like a gargantuan task for me. If anyone could tell me that my findings are completely wrong, I'd be the happiest person in the world :p

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Engineering

found this picture on the interwebs by searching the dash part number....

you might be able to get to those screws with the stereo and top center gauges removed

if space is difficult you might need a small ratchet driver with a torx bit...or an alternative, which ive done in the past is to hot glue a torx bit into a regular 1/4" ratcheting ring spanner.

Tool Font Auto part Metal Rectangle

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
View attachment 300260

you might be able to get to those screws with the stereo and top center gauges removed

if space is difficult you might need a small ratchet driver with a torx bit...or an alternative, which ive done in the past is to hot glue a torx bit into a regular 1/4" ratcheting ring spanner.

View attachment 300263
Oh man, that photo is GOLD! I was looking all over internet for something like this, unfortunately to no avail. Thanks a lot for it!

At least it does confirm what I suspected: four screws attaching both dashboard parts.

The most challenging ones are definitely the bottom ones, since the stereo chassis is in the middle and doesn't really leave much room to put the ratchet through. But at least now I can think of some alternatives based on the photo. Thanks a thousand times!!

EDIT: on a second look, it might be possible to access those two screws by removing the glovebox and the bottom dashboard on the driver's side. If there's nothing else on the way, that should be enough to get to them somewhat easily. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was assuming you took out the head unit because that definitely has to come out
Yeah, the headunit is out, as well as the switch panel, the HVAC panel, the top cover (part 13) and the three-gauge panel. What remains inside, though, is the metal chassis where the headunit is mounted, since that is screwed to part 13 from inside.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 300260

View attachment 300263
So in the end I was able to get to the screws that you showed me with this photo. It was much easier after removing the instrument cluster and the bottom half of the dashboard (under the steering wheel).

Unfortunately, there's one last pair of buggers preventing me to get the whole part off. Apparently, there are another two screws at the windshield end, attaching the two arms of part 12 to the main dashboard part. These two are really impossible to get to from anywhere, since there's really zero clearance available. You can see them here, at the very bottom, between the windshield vents and the opening for the three-gauge cover:

Camouflage Motor vehicle Bag Machine Automotive exterior

So at this point, I don't think there's an alternative to simply taking the whole dashboard out :(

Before I decided to call it a day, I was checking, and while the driver's side seemed to have some play, the passenger's side seemed to be very stable... so I need to figure out what is keeping it attached. I couldn't see anything too obvious.

I'll keep the thread updated, and I'll write a summary at the end with the steps to remove the dashboard. Hopefully someone will find it helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts