Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your probably reading this title & thinking why would you want to do that.... ever!

Recently purchased my 2011 Gallardo LP560-4 on Friday, been driving all weekend & dam its been good fun. Just literally showed my mate it there now, went to start her up to let him hear her, he had his foot on both brake & accelerator by mistake, so when it fired up it hit the limiter straight away for a split second before i grabbed his leg!! Just really worried now about it, im guessing just being this once it should be ok.

Lesson - do not let anyone in the drivers seat, unless I have the keys!

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
28 Posts
Your probably reading this title & thinking why would you want to do that.... ever!

Recently purchased my 2011 Gallardo LP560-4 on Friday, been driving all weekend & dam its been good fun. Just literally showed my mate it there now, went to start her up to let him hear her, he had his foot on both brake & accelerator by mistake, so when it fired up it hit the limiter straight away for a split second before i grabbed his leg!! Just really worried now about it, im guessing just being this once it should be ok.

Lesson - do not let anyone in the drivers seat, unless I have the keys!
You don't think Lamborghini (Audi) can build a durable enough engine in 2010 to withstand redlining on a cold start for 1 second?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm kind just looking for some reassurance lol, but your right. I like to look after my cars & this isn't something I would ever do, so just annoying I guess.

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
You are probably fine, but would not recommend.

The viscosity of the oil and the tolerances of the engine change between being cold and warmed up. In addition depending on how well an oil system primes, it's possible the entire engine assembly won't have an even coating of oil until a few revolutions. This is theory can cause a car to spin a bearing or throw a rod.

So the answer is, try not to do it. But you are probably fine if you haven't noticed any issues since this occurrence. Likely if something was to go wrong from this you would have noticed immediately, ie rod knock or a hole in the block.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
I hit my limiter many times in my Gallardo and you can be assured you didn't damage the car. I think the only way you can harm the engine is by downshifting into too low of a gear, which I have also done. I accidentially downshifted when I meant to up-shift. My hand and brain were not connected.

• Haha
Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
You don't think Lamborghini (Audi) can build a durable enough engine in 2010 to withstand redlining on a cold start for 1 second?
Who the manufacturer of the engine has nothing to do with it……. Cold engines don’t have optimum lubrication protection because oil is not circulating through the engine. While the OP is fine, redlining an engine on initial start up when oil is not circulating through the engine, or when oil is at optimum temper is dangerous for the engine…. You do know the worst time for an engine is on initial start up….. Why do you think modern cars limit how high you can rev the engine until all temperatures are within the manufacturers specifications.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
Who the manufacturer of the engine has nothing to do with it……. Cold engines don’t have optimum lubrication protection because oil is not circulating through the engine. While the OP is fine, redlining an engine on initial start up when oil is not circulating through the engine, or when oil is at optimum temper is dangerous for the engine…. You do know the worst time for an engine is on initial start up….. Why do you think modern cars limit how high you can rev the engine until all temperatures are within the manufacturers specifications.
You are quite correct.

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
28 Posts
I’m aware, however there’s also people that think a Ferrari timing belt can’t last 4000kms. Exotics tend to make people think into things too much. Rob Ferretti did a great video on this with Vin Wiki.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It doesn't take long for the oil to circulate. Cold oil has a higher viscosity, I would be more concerned about blowing out an oil seal. After installing a fresh engine in my racecar I would use a drill on the oil pump and prime the system before the first start up. Before a race I would let the car idle @2k allowing the oil temp would get warm.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
I’m aware, however there’s also people that think a Ferrari timing belt can’t last 4000kms. Exotics tend to make people think into things too much. Rob Ferretti did a great video on this with Vin Wiki.

Sorry, not sure what a Ferrari timing belt has to do with the topic, or the VinWiki video speaking about maintenance of vehicles, or about your comment about over thinking exotics……

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
28 Posts
Sorry, not sure what a Ferrari timing belt has to do with the topic, or the VinWiki video speaking about maintenance of vehicles, or about your comment about over thinking exotics……
I thought it was pretty straight forward, but I guess you’re overthinking it aswell. 😅

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
HIGHLY doubt there is anything serious to be concerned about. Just another example of, don’t let friends drive, when said friends are, well, clueless. ;)

Reactions: Cliff.1620
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.