Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a write up about why Lamborghinis make AWD cars as opposed to all rear wheel drive cars and the author made a comment that I had not considered and sounds plausible. Basically he stated that the AWD variants were created, not only but mostly, for manufacturer liability concerns in that a AWD vehicle is easier to control for the novice/non-professional driver. The gist of his reasoning is, and it makes sense, it鈥檚 easier to control/handle a car with the engine power divided between four wheels as opposed to two. A quote from the write up: "It鈥檚 in the vein of that they** went to AWD - Porsche did that in the 1995 AWD 911 Turbo, which solved somewhat for the tail-happy lift-throttle oversteer".
A secondary issue but relevant for those of us with rear wheel drive cars it further highlight the need for good sticky rear tires like Michelin PS4S as advocated by Adam and several others.
Thoughts?

**Lamborghini

Reactions: Sakura

Registered
That's the reason Porsche started making all 911 Turbo's AWD, on some of the earlier non AWD Turbos they had a warning label on the dash. There was a lawsuit and Porsche lost, hence the dash plaque. I think that that was in the 90's.

Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
There鈥檚 more to it I think, although liability plays a role. Car marketing, for better or worse, is strongly impacted by 0 to 60 times and HP numbers. Even with traction control and manufacturer specific tire compounds, some RWD supercars are traction limited. AWD alleviates this to an extent.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
As far as Lamborghini the RWD variant offers a considerable cost decrease over the AWD which certainly has had a positive impact on sales. The secondary issue is the one I wish we had, sticky tires for the RWD models. It would have been nice if that was part of the RWD base package.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's the reason Porsche started making all 911 Turbo's AWD, on some of the earlier non AWD Turbos they had a warning label on the dash. There was a lawsuit and Porsche lost, hence the dash plaque. I think that that was in the 90's.
Thanks yes that is what I read as well; it was the Paul Walker death that led to the AWD for Porsche. ;) BTW, I hate the dash plaque but understand why Porsche is compelled to do it.
There鈥檚 more to it I think, although liability plays a role. Car marketing, for better or worse, is strongly impacted by 0 to 60 times and HP numbers. Even with traction control and manufacturer specific tire compounds, some RWD supercars are traction limited. AWD alleviates this to an extent.
Great point! The 0 to 60 times are a big selling feature of all sports cars; an important metric for supercar comparisons.

As far as Lamborghini the RWD variant offers a considerable cost decrease over the AWD which certainly has had a positive impact on sales. The secondary issue is the one I wish we had, sticky tires for the RWD models. It would have been nice if that was part of the RWD base package.
Yes Russ, when the time comes time for new tires I will get the PS4Ss'. I mentioned in another thread, I never do launches so the Pirellis' will do fine for my needs for the time being.

Premium Member
Albert I am sure there will come a day when you will want to scratch that itch. I don't do launches in this car because it is just too crazy with the stock tires. Tried it once and it scared the crap out of me.

Registered
Umm, Paul Walker only died seven years ago. 911 turbos have had AWD since the mid-90s. And Walker wasn't in a 911 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was about to add the 911Turbo lawsuit was long before Paul Walkers death. It was a lady lawyer who killed someone in her Porsche and brought a suit again Porsche. My understanding of Walkers death was because of old tires on the GT. My specific recollections of the Porsche suit are from a long time ago and my memory could be missing some stuff.

Registered
That's what I was about to add the 911Turbo lawsuit was long before Paul Walkers death. It was a lady lawyer who killed someone in her Porsche and brought a suit again Porsche. My understanding of Walkers death was because of old tires on the GT. My specific recollections of the Porsche suit are from a long time ago and my memory could be missing some stuff.
The 930 series had a well deserved reputation for snap oversteer and several nicknames, including doctor killers and the widowmaker. Hard to believe today given that the cars didn't even make 300 hp, but the power all came on at once at higher rpm and could be bad news for inexperienced drivers, especially if they were turning at the time the power hit.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Umm, Paul Walker only died seven years ago. 911 turbos have had AWD since the mid-90s. And Walker wasn't in a 911 either.

My error I should have checked the accuracy of original write up I read; it was a Carrera GT......thanks.

Registered
The 930 series had a well deserved reputation for snap oversteer and several nicknames, including doctor killers and the widowmaker. Hard to believe today given that the cars didn't even make 300 hp, but the power all came on at once at higher rpm and could be bad news for inexperienced drivers, especially if they were turning at the time the power hit.

I had a '76 930 it had around 280hp and it was a different experience than the Huracan. At above 140mph or so it would wonder in it's lane so you had to drive it to keep it straight. I think the Pirelli P7's were a lot of the problem. It did only max out at 155mph.

Premium Member
I was reading a write up about why Lamborghinis make AWD cars as opposed to all rear wheel drive cars and the author made a comment that I had not considered and sounds plausible. Basically he stated that the AWD variants were created, not only but mostly, for manufacturer liability concerns in that a AWD vehicle is easier to control for the novice/non-professional driver. The gist of his reasoning is, and it makes sense, it鈥檚 easier to control/handle a car with the engine power divided between four wheels as opposed to two. A quote from the write up: "It鈥檚 in the vein of that they** went to AWD - Porsche did that in the 1995 AWD 911 Turbo, which solved somewhat for the tail-happy lift-throttle oversteer".
A secondary issue but relevant for those of us with rear wheel drive cars it further highlight the need for good sticky rear tires like Michelin PS4S as advocated by Adam and several others.
Thoughts?

**Lamborghini
AWD is made for lousy drivers so they won't lose control. RWD is made for brave drivers on death wish :D :D

Just kidding of course...I think it's for terrain adaptability. Some people like to drive their Lambo in the snow. You can't do that very well with RWD.

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AWD is made for lousy drivers so they won't lose control. RWD is made for brave drivers on death wish :D :D
Probably true. In fact, I went to a Lamborghini dealership and tried to buy a 610-4 and they stated, if memory serves me correctly, "no sir we can't sell you that car given your driving skills are other worldly". :rolleyes: There may be some truth to that because as I recall the last time I flew off the road I indeed wound up in another world.馃洬

Premium Member
When I got into my RWD after having 2 AWD鈥檚 my first thought was this is going to bring out the kid in me. I did, and does every time I drive it.

Registered
I have seen several write ups about the AWD trend in sport cars. I think a lot of it is 0 to 60 times as stated. Basic idea is that if you increase horse power beyond a certain point, all you do is spin the tires. If you throw another set of tires into the mix, you can go faster with the extra power.

From my experience doing rally, AWD makes a huge difference when the cars start to slip and slide. (I am no great racer, but AWD cars dominated the events. Rear wheel drive cars were great for giggles, but the worst for times.)

Registered
The 991 GT2 RS is still RWD.

I have seen several write ups about the AWD trend in sport cars. I think a lot of it is 0 to 60 times as stated. Basic idea is that if you increase horse power beyond a certain point, all you do is spin the tires. If you throw another set of tires into the mix, you can go faster with the extra power.

From my experience doing rally, AWD makes a huge difference when the cars start to slip and slide. (I am no great racer, but AWD cars dominated the events. Rear wheel drive cars were great for giggles, but the worst for times.)
Yet many hypercars are still RWD such as the 765LT which should set the new supercar benchmark, Senna, Speedtail, SCC Tuatara, Koenigsegg Jesko etc.

Premium Member
For me it is just about having fun with my wonderful car. I don't race, track or rally much, but I do have an incredible time driving a car that is so engaging that it takes my breath away. As long as I have a choice I will never go back to an AWD Lamborghini. I know we all have different likes & dislikes and this is just one mans opinion.

Registered
For me it is just about having fun with my wonderful car. I don't race, track or rally much, but I do have an incredible time driving a car that is so engaging that it takes my breath away. As long as I have a choice I will never go back to an AWD Lamborghini. I know we all have different likes & dislikes and this is just one mans opinion.
Would only go AWD if I went Performante instead of EVO RWD.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.