Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some input from anyone who has experience with a rear camera system. What’s good, what’s not good and any suggestions.

I think I’m going with a camera mounted in a license plate frame. The cam I’m looking at has 130 degrees wide angle and works day and night. Goes for about $230.

For the monitor, I would like to keep the stock Alpine CD, but may consider a new flip out Nav/Monitor. I also noticed that now you can get 2 different monitors. They make one that can clip to your sunvisor and is only ½ inch thick or they now have monitors built into the rear view mirror…from 3 to 5 inches. Choice of total mirror replacement, or a clip on version to keep the stock mirror.

Appreciate any comments you have on your system and what, if any, things to avoid when purchasing/installing.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Frank,
I have one connected to the Alphine D300. It's great I didn't use the license camera though. It was too expensive. I used what they call a bullet style for $149.00. Connect it to the rear gear so it goes on automatically in reverse and put a 3 way switch to turn it on and off as you please.

The picture is not mine, but it's located in the same place. We have slates instead of screen on the SV. It fits between the them perfectly.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Forgot to mention that you get an excellent view of the right and left rear. It don't have to be in the center of the car to get a perfect view.

I was thinking about installing another two. One for the drivers side and another in the front for parking.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool...I like the idea of it in the rad grill so you don't have to drill. Seems the new units allow you to install multiple cameras.

Thanks for the info on the Alpine, I was wondering which model....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Eric -

Why do you say that? The new screens have great resolution. I only need it for parking... The concave mirros I have eliminate blind spots during driving.

Nothing more nerve racking than being on South Beach and trying to back into a parking stall wondering how far you can go before "you hear glass"...

I'm going to research all I can and I'll post my finished car and results in a new thread. I'm trying to get feedback from owners - things you do not know when shopping for a system. For example, if I do a LCD flip up radio, will it block the A/C vents when open or any other off the wall stuff...

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
BTW, the picture above is my car.

I will have to partly agree with Eric. The camera is not to totally useless, but its still best to sit on the side sill when backing up. The camera helps a little, but its not one of those must have accessories.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
fl_355 said:
Cool...I like the idea of it in the rad grill so you don't have to drill. Seems the new units allow you to install multiple cameras.

Thanks for the info on the Alpine, I was wondering which model....
The best Alpine model with a flip-up screen is an IVA-D901. It has a reversing camera input built-in.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, that was a lot of help... I'm still working on it.

I want to keep an Alpine head unit..I'll check out the D901 and D300.
Let me ask you this...Can you use a DVD player radio instead of a NAV system? The reason I ask is the units I looked at so far have a RCA input for a camera - but says the DVD screen only works with parking brake on... Understand that, don't want to watch video while driving, but I want the screen up when driving of course...

The camerea is the ticket to make them work right. So far I've learned that it should be NTSC rated with a CCD sensor (chip). The lower the Lux rating, the better you can see at night...most are 2 and you can get a "1" for a few dollars more.

Finally, the biggest compalint I've heard from users is that the wide angle is "too wide" and the birds-eye view does not help when backing up close to an object. 99% of the camereas out there are 130 degrees wide. I found and purchased a 58 degree and a 78 degree camerea to compare them. Still have not purchased the regular 130 degree yet.

JAP - do you know which model bullet cam you have or where u purchased it? So far, seems Pioneer NCBTD is what everyone suggests, retail $300.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Frank,

The D901 has better picture resolution. This unit is very versatile. You can play radio, cd, cd changer or DVD and have the nav on the background. If you have multiple monitors, pointless in a Lambo, you can even send seperate AV sigmals to each of the monitors. I had this unit complete with NAV, DVD?CD Changer and PS2 in my Escalade before it got stolen in the local mall. This unit also has a rear camera input that automatically overrides the screen when you put your car in reverse. As far as playing DVD, you can have your installer install a bypass switch or device. If you mention it to any competent installer, he'll know what you are talking about. If you are dead set in Alpine, make sure you choose an Alpine F1 Status certified dealer to install your unit.

Here is a screen shot of my rear camera. This unit is the older C800 model. The D901 is so much more versatile and packed with a whole lot more features.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Raymond -

Thanks for the info and taking the time to take a pix...(nice pix btw)...

The only reason I'm bias toward Alpine is because IMHO it belongs in a Lambo, the way a Blaup belongs in a PCar...ya know?

Anyway, later today I'm heading to a store that has Alpine and Pioneer and I'm going to compare the two side by side. The net is good for shopping for price, but nothing like brick and morter to feel and use the product first hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts