Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is still probably a week out from delivery, but I'm already trying to spend money on it. I typically leave cars stock-ish. Definitely no performance mods for the incoming SV, but I may want to add a modern creature comfort or two. Seeing as rear visibility is zero unless you sit on the door sill, I was thinking about adding a small rear view camera. Nowadays, there are a million and one options out there, wired and wireless.
Without having to add an separate ugly screen somewhere on the dash/console, the only other way to get a camera display is either using your phone or getting a single DIN flip up head unit. Sound quality isn't of utmost importance as I don't plan on listening to music all that much other than the occasional Nirvana/Soundgarden/Green Day/Foo Fighters/other late 90's period correct band. So as long as the OEM speakers work, I'll be fine.

@Sledge4.2 posted this about 2 years ago. Flip/Fold Out Stereo Head Unit
Looked up the Pioneer unit and unfortunately they no longer support Waze which I use frequently, and in most instances, instead of a radar detector.

Does anyone have recs for discreet rear view cameras (wired or wireless) and/or flip up head units? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
i like the front and rear camera functionality, but the rest of that pioneer unit functionality sucks. The sound is awesome As I redid woofer, speakers and amp, and I use it to occasionally blast period correct iron maiden. Keep us posted on your search

·
Registered
350 Posts
Car is still probably a week out from delivery, but I'm already trying to spend money on it. I typically leave cars stock-ish. Definitely no performance mods for the incoming SV, but I may want to add a modern creature comfort or two. Seeing as rear visibility is zero unless you sit on the door sill, I was thinking about adding a small rear view camera. Nowadays, there are a million and one options out there, wired and wireless.
Without having to add an separate ugly screen somewhere on the dash/console, the only other way to get a camera display is either using your phone or getting a single DIN flip up head unit. Sound quality isn't of utmost importance as I don't plan on listening to music all that much other than the occasional Nirvana/Soundgarden/Green Day/Foo Fighters/other late 90's period correct band. So as long as the OEM speakers work, I'll be fine.

@Sledge4.2 posted this about 2 years ago. Flip/Fold Out Stereo Head Unit
Looked up the Pioneer unit and unfortunately they no longer support Waze which I use frequently, and in most instances, instead of a radar detector.

Does anyone have recs for discreet rear view cameras (wired or wireless) and/or flip up head units? Thanks.
Like you said, there are many out there so just google and pick one.
Go to a car stereo installer and ask their opinion.
The worlds your oyster.
You dont care if its a cheap model due to not worrying about sound quality.
Why dont you get the type thats in your mirror on the windscreen.
You can get one for an Audi - I have it, the camera turns on when in reverse and the mirror reverts back to a normal mirror when not reversing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you said, there are many out there so just google and pick one.
Go to a car stereo installer and ask their opinion.
The worlds your oyster.
You dont care if its a cheap model due to not worrying about sound quality.
Why dont you get the type thats in your mirror on the windscreen.
You can get one for an Audi - I have it, the camera turns on when in reverse and the mirror reverts back to a normal mirror when not reversing.
I thought about those integrated rearview mirror/back up camera setups. Did you use this in a Diablo or a later model Lamborghini? I'm not even sure there's switched power in the stock mirror.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought about those integrated rearview mirror/back up camera setups. Did you use this in a Diablo or a later model Lamborghini? I'm not even sure there's switched power in the stock mirror.
Well, I actually havent fitted it yet to be honest - along with the many things I have but not yet fitted or finished:giggle:.
I have a pre-LP Gallardo.
The factory mirror was the auto dimming type, unfortunately mine was a victim of the dreaded "leaking mirror syndrome".
It leaked all over the A/C controller and ate the buttons - which after years of waiting I found well priced damaged unit that has good buttons so I now have a complete and good looking controller.
Anyway, the camera mirror has an Audi style base and will fit and look factory.
I had to buy another normal Audi mirror after I initially removed the dimming mirror and that meant cutting the wiring for the dimming mirror - something that I regret doing because its going to be hard to use this wiring to connect to the new camera mirror but I guess its just another thing to do eventually.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Can't judge the SV but saw a guy parking his roadster sitting on the door sill 😆. I guess he takes his car out of his collection once a year or so because the visibility in a roadster is just fine even with roof on the bonnet 👍

·
Registered
1995 Diablo VT
33 Posts
I used a Alpine Halo 9 in my 360. It will do anything you want and will work in a single din. It does not fold up but works extremely nice with Apple Car Play. I saw somewhere on YouTube someone had the same model in their Diablo and it looked pretty good. You can angle the screen as to match the dash. Maybe worth a look.

Cheers

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't judge the SV but saw a guy parking his roadster sitting on the door sill 😆. I guess he takes his car out of his collection once a year or so because the visibility in a roadster is just fine even with roof on the bonnet 👍
Only took it for a quick spin yesterday to find gas. No joy there. But the visibility was a lot better than I thought. Def better on the rear quarters than my FGT.

I used a Alpine Halo 9 in my 360. It will do anything you want and will work in a single din. It does not fold up but works extremely nice with Apple Car Play. I saw somewhere on YouTube someone had the same model in their Diablo and it looked pretty good. You can angle the screen as to match the dash. Maybe worth a look.

Cheers
Thanks Todd. Great functionality on that unit. But the fact that it doesn't fold up may be a deal killer. I like the appearance of OEM, so a big digital screen on the dash that doesn't fold down kinda kills it.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Cheers
Is the Halo9 a plug-and-play unit?

·
Registered
1995 Diablo VT
33 Posts
Is the Halo9 a plug-and-play unit?
Yes, should be pretty strait forward. You would need to route the rear view camera, blue tooth mic and USB plug as you would for any other model. I really like the unit due to the Apple Car Play. You can plug you phone in and forget it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, should be pretty strait forward. You would need to route the rear view camera, blue tooth mic and USB plug as you would for any other model. I really like the unit due to the Apple Car Play. You can plug you phone in and forget it.
Side question. Do you have a phone mount? Not exactly a lot of options for storing/laying down your phone in these cars.

·
Registered
1995 Diablo VT
33 Posts
I just used one of these between the seats. The USB Plug was ran there to connect to radio. These mounts are very small and discreet and work well. I just plug the phone in and stick it to the magnet. The phone never moves even under brisk driving.! Ill get a picture and post up.

·
Registered
1995 Diablo VT
33 Posts
i tried to find the reference picture on the internet showing this unit in a Diablo, if anyone has that i would like to see it.
I saw a Diablo on IG that had the Halo9 installed. Ill try to find it again and link it up here.. I thought it looked nice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
good chance of breaking the clutch rod in a Diablo, unless you have the Custer clutch rod, which is a good buy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Pioneer AVH-Z7100DAB with Apple Carplay (wired)
microphone above temperature gauge.
Blocks air vents a bit when screen is up.

·
Registered
628 Posts
good chance of breaking the clutch rod in a Diablo, unless you have the Custer clutch rod, which is a good buy.
Yes! I have the Custer Rod!

And Custers car attached to it as well loll

Talking about Rod... I saw this ad on Facebook 2 years ago or so advertising Rod Stewarts 1999 Diablo Roadster.

Now the funny part : they used my car as photo! It's me and my Custer Diablo 😂

Sometimes the whole world seems connected in just one big coincidence 😳

·
Registered
425 Posts
Pioneer AVH-Z7100DAB with Apple Carplay (wired)
microphone above temperature gauge.
Blocks air vents a bit when screen is up.

View attachment 293204

braided cable is not connected to the Pioneer unit - that's another charge cable for another device, plugged into the cigarette lighter.
I have the carplay cable, coming out under the dash at the side of the seats - idea now, is to replace that with an InPhase wireless carplay adaptor

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes! I have the Custer Rod!

And Custers car attached to it as well loll

Talking about Rod... I saw this ad on Facebook 2 years ago or so advertising Rod Stewarts 1999 Diablo Roadster.

Now the funny part : they used my car as photo! It's me and my Custer Diablo 😂

Sometimes the whole world seems connected in just one big coincidence 😳

View attachment 293211
think Amari sold Rod's 99VT Roadster - they sold one of his Miura's too a few years back too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts