Lamborghini Talk banner

Rah! My Countach arrived!

9K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  raymond 
#1 ·
My 1987 Rosso Red / Cream Countach 5000QV arrived yesterday, and I'm very happy with her. Heck, she even fits in my garage! All my mates are dead jealous and the kids in the neighbourhood are wetting themselves over her.

There are one or two little bits that need seeing to at some point - thus far the ash tray seems to be missing its liner and the alarm, when activated, doesn't seem to totally lock the driver side door so I have to lock it with the key, but both of these minor things can be sorted under the dealer warranty. I expected a couple of little things on a 17 year old car so am not too worried. She goes well, warms up nicely, the guages sit where they should etc. Must read the manual asap! BTW where is the dimmer for the instruments, they're a little dim at night and it's hard to read off the speed in MPH as the bigger numbers are in KPH.

I'm pretty darned happy right now.

#4 ·
Indeed

Taoist said:
There are a few pics up already in my "Garage" which I think you can go look at...
Jim, I was just looking, where are those pictures taken?
Lamborghini on the glass window!

WOW, love the car and it's colour!

A DREAM CAME TRUE for you.
I've been dreaming since 1979 when I saw the first Countach
on the road. Later saw many of course, all over the world, but most
of them in London. it's still a dream!

PS Wat if the Portman Dashbord?

I twice visited Portman of London in the eighties.

#5 ·
Lambonian said:
Jim, I was just looking, where are those pictures taken?

PS Wat if the Portman Dashbord?
I don't know where the outdoors pictures were taken, the pics are from the dealer (Sant Agata Classics in Manchester). The indoor pics are from the dealer's showroom.

The Portman Dashboard is an extra instrument binnacle which houses the stereo at an angle that is easier for the driver to use, and apparently was fitted as a dealer option by Portman, who first imported the car.

#7 ·
terryjoint said:
Jim,
Enjoy, you will get used to the looks from others eventually. The lights are dim, you have to take the dash out, four screws, and change the bulbs for slightly brighter ones
Really? There's no dimmer control? Odd. In all honesty I'm not so worried about it that I want to go taking the dash out, I can live with it. It's mostly a case of getting used to the speedo and looking at the inner numbers rather than the outer ones - this would be easier if it were a little brighter I suppose.

#11 · (Edited)
terryjoint said:
Jim,
Enjoy, you will get used to the looks from others eventually. The lights are dim, you have to take the dash out, four screws, and change the bulbs for slightly brighter ones
There is a dimmer!
next to the belt light, bridge it and the bulbs get brighter, you need to connect the white and brown wire of the connector that's all. black is ground and is no more needed.

Great car :D

#14 ·
OK next question: About the ash tray. I was going to use this to stash the keys to the garage so I can open the garage door whilst the car is still running. I put the keys in and when I went to retrieve them they had slipped through a hole and I had a right job retrieving them. It looks like the ash tray should have a metal "liner" which is presumably there so it can be lifted out to get rid of cigarette ash. This car is lacking that liner and I was wondering if I am correct in my supposition or not - and if so where on Earth I'd get a replacement - would it be a Fiat item perhaps?

#15 ·
Jim,

They come up on E bay in the US now and again. Try Eurospares in the UK www.eurospares.co.uk they have many items for the C/T. Is yours the oblong one like mine, send me a pic of it and I will keep an eye out. terryjoint@telefonica.net I have bought loads of hard to find spares from round the world on e bay.
On Eurospares the Ferrari page has a selection, if you measure yours exactly I think there is one there that would be the same if you give them a call at Eurospares. They are very helpful

#17 ·
terryjoint said:
Try Eurospares in the UK www.eurospares.co.uk they have many items for the C/T. Is yours the oblong one like mine, send me a pic of it and I will keep an eye out.
Hmm I think Eurospares only do complete ashtrays rather than just the inside bit. My ashtray is the same as the one in the picture Raymond posted earlier if that helps.

#20 ·
Jim,
I think you better get used to the following !!

1. Most parts are unobtainable from the factory
2. If the factory has them, well anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months !!
3. You will not like the prices !!!!!!!!!!!
4. Start collecting your own bits and pieces now. Remember how few of these cars were made. Most are still out there and the owners are doing the same things. You should see the prices that some items go for on e bay.

If you dismantled your car and put each bit on e bay, you would almost double what you pàid for it !!
Forgot. Tyres, get some spares and KEEP them,they will not be available in a little while from now !!

#21 ·
Very nice.

I don't post on here very often, but read quite regularly.
I own a red 5000S QV '87 as well, infact I think I know your car.
Mine is exactly the same except mine has no wing but does have the side skirts and Remus 'zorst system.
In fact the indore picture of yours in the storage wearhouse, mine is parked about three cars up from yours !
Mine also has a problem with the drivers door not unlocking properly, even the key is a little difficult, I somtimes have to unlock the passenger side first.
Mine is also very loved (well used) and needs some work as its just been to the Nurburgring, Ive taken it about three or four times a year for the last ten years. I must post some pics. I think someone from here went recently as well?

#26 ·
Congats on the countach ! On my 84 countach there was a dimmer contol. It is a small box on the left side of the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It has a arrow type marking and a small wheel that you can spin left or right with your thumb. It brightened and dimmed by the switch very nicely !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.