Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
As far as a portable one sure its the valentine1. But for a totally hidden built in unit with discrete remote (front and back) sensors the K40's (model 2000) are pretty cool.

www.k40.com

-mick

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
We also do custom installs of valentines as well as k40 the valentine is a little more involved because the unit has to be completley taken apart - some people cant live without those arrows!

·
Registered
568 Posts
The V1 might not be the most hidden, but it is by far the best. I have only had mine a short time and would not live without it now!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
K40 vs V1

ok... time for some notes on my detector experiences. When I bought the roadster, it already had a K40 (2000) installed. Driving it around for a year or so I found that the sensing was ok but not great. I would get accurate warnings but it was marginal advanced notice. At this point I decide to have some work done on my front bumper (clear bra etc). Once the front bumper was off I found out just how badly the front radar receiver was installed. What a disaster - it was mounted IN the right front brake cooling duct and thus behind the metal brackets. I won't even describe the wire routing mess (I'm still waiting for a steering column part to complete the repairs). The laser pickup (which was much smaller) has to be located in this sort of place (nothing in front of it at all, but the radar pickup could have been anywhere and would have been better. I eventually had it re-located, mounted on a machined plate, up a little higher and totally behind the bumper with no metal directly in front of it anywhere. What a difference. Now the game was "find the radar source" since I had much better advanced indication.

My points?

1) Installation/location of the receivers are very much part of how well things work.
2) If I ever find the people that did the original installation I'd like to tell them what I think about their work! :evil:
3) K40 makes at least three detectors - the one I'm using is the 2000.

Many months after my "repairs" I was able to do a side by side (same time) comparison of my K40 to a V1 (normal portable unit). To me, there was no doubt that the two units performed the same in front detection of radar. The rear detection I'm not so sure about. The K40 seemed to be better which makes sense to me given that the V1 is trying to "look through" the small rear window and "over" the engine. I wish I had had more rear "hits" to know exactly what the difference was. At the same time the mounting of my K40 rear receiver is far from great since its behind the rear metal grill. I still plan to try and deal with that but I have not been able to come up with a better placement. After my side by side test I was still wondering if my unit was working as best it could so I did some more research. Turns out I was comparing a current model V1 with a ~5 year old K40. The K40, like the V1, has gone through improvements and K40 was able to offer me an upgrade to the front receiver (was also smaller) which I have since installed. The unit now seems to be even better still with less false alarms. I have not yet repeated the comparison to the V1 but I hope to at some point. The lights in my dash for the K40 (front or back warnings) are fine for me along with its audible tones. I'm not sure how functional the "bogey count" display of the V1 is - what do you do? Only slow down if the radar count is 2 or something? In practical use the alarms to me are the most important. I get about 3 different possible alarms - 2 will cause me to check leds, speed, look around etc but 1 alarm is a "sure thing" and so no need to do anything but check speed.

My Points?

1) Side by side comparisons of the K40 (2000) to a V1 in white papers/magazines are really tough to come by and even if they did the type of car/mounting would be something to take into consideration.
2) Technology continues to evolve for all players. If your detector is more than a few years old it maybe time for an upgrade.
3) Anyone found a good mounting place for the rear K40 pickup???

My choice would be a V1 for portable use but I prefer the K40 for built in use.

-mick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts