Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m buying a 2013 Gallardo LP550-2, and I don’t know how to drive a true manual stick shift (with clutch.) on the description I’m looking at it says Manual transmission but it also says automatic with sport paddles. I know how to shift with sport paddles, I just don’t know how to use a clutch. Is this Lamborghini manual only? Is this what “e gear” is?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
It’s a paddle shifted manual. No clutch pedal. Search up how to drive an egear

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,092 Posts
Storms, if you don’t mind my asking how old are you? What cars if you had in the past? And are you interested in a paddle shift car or an automatic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Storms, if you don’t mind my asking how old are you? What cars if you had in the past? And are you interested in a paddle shift car or an automatic?
24, I’ve had a BMW 318i, 2x mercedes c300 (one flooded), a camaro 2SS and a Maserati GranTurismo Sport. I mean don’t most automatics have paddle shifters regardless? Both my camaro and Mas have them, the Mercedes had them as well. M

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
You will want to do some basic due diligence on the egear and on Lamborghinis as a car brand. The E gear refers to an electronically shifted manual transmission, yes, but it is a two pedal car. It drives like your other paddle shift vehicles - without a third pedal. It has an automatic setting as well to make it super simple to drive, but no true Lamborghini owner drives in automatic setting. in fact we shun automatic for many reasons, not the least of which is it eats up your clutch (as does reversing for long periods or any reversing uphill.). The reason I asked about your age, and not to be personal, is many of the younger car lovers out there did not grow up with manuals and don’t know how to drive three pedal cars. Myself, I am in my late 40s and grew up with manuals. For this reason, I love manuals because they provide a certain driving experience and require a certain driver knowledge that paddle shift and automatic vehicles do not. younger folks are missing out on that experience. I have a few cars but only one of them currently is a stick shift: my Diablo. My Gallardo is an E gear and is a ton of fun to drive because of the very aggressive transmission that literally kicks you in the butt every time you shift, and of course being an ‘08 has excellent exhaust sound. The rest of my cars are mostly paddle shift optional like my A6 and Land Rover, however I never, ever use those paddles as the experience is so very bland. I have owned two A6’s and the LR for the last six years, but I’ll bet you I have not driven more than 8 miles total with the paddles! Snooze.

Just a question, but do you have any interest in learning to drive a true manual stick shift? May I encourage you that your answer should be yes.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
And, I am remiss in not saying congrats on your purchase. When you get it, please post pictures and your experience with the egear. I think you will absolutely love it. For clarity on my above post, the egear transmission especially on the Gallardo at least is a real joy to drive. If it was not, I would have already sold mine and gotten another manual. Again congratulations

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Clyde, do you think they make the automatic mode drive crappily on purpose? Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I didn’t say crappy, I said bland. And for clarity, Lamborghinis paddles are super fun, but my other cars have no excitement using paddles. In part, its dual clutches and in part its a gear ratio that makes each gear not particularly different from the last. To be sure, “sport sedan” or SUVs are not in any way a comparison to a Lamborghini Gallardo, but still.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Bland, crappy, tomatoe... I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. But automatic mode for the SV or SVJ, is crappy (my adjective, not yours). I imagine it’s the same with egear, though I haven’t a lot of experience with egears. Wondering if this is intentional is all. Most cars are more drivable in automatic mode.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I was not offended, just correcting the verbiage attributable to me. In my head, anyway, crappy has connotations that the system does not work or is not reliable. Paddle shift transmissions work fine and are reliable, but they just don't have the highest degree of thrill as a driving experience compared to a traditional 3-pedal manual. You specifically questioned if manufacturers design these automatic modes intentionally to be crappy/bland? Yes. In fact, the rumor is the eGear auto mode was designed for the wife of a famous athlete so she could drive one, supposedly since she did not know how to drive a 3-pedal manual and/or did not like the aggressive shifts. Auto mode does not kick you like the sport mode does by virtue of not engaging the clutch as rapidly; thus, while they are 'smoother' engagement and would appeal to those who don't like the aggressive shifting, they burn up clutches faster among other issues. So, yes, this is purposeful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will want to do some basic due diligence on the egear and on Lamborghinis as a car brand. The E gear refers to an electronically shifted manual transmission, yes, but it is a two pedal car. It drives like your other paddle shift vehicles - without a third pedal. It has an automatic setting as well to make it super simple to drive, but no true Lamborghini owner drives in automatic setting. in fact we shun automatic for many reasons, not the least of which is it eats up your clutch (as does reversing for long periods or any reversing uphill.). The reason I asked about your age, and not to be personal, is many of the younger car lovers out there did not grow up with manuals and don’t know how to drive three pedal cars. Myself, I am in my late 40s and grew up with manuals. For this reason, I love manuals because they provide a certain driving experience and require a certain driver knowledge that paddle shift and automatic vehicles do not. younger folks are missing out on that experience. I have a few cars but only one of them currently is a stick shift: my Diablo. My Gallardo is an E gear and is a ton of fun to drive because of the very aggressive transmission that literally kicks you in the butt every time you shift, and of course being an ‘08 has excellent exhaust sound. The rest of my cars are mostly paddle shift optional like my A6 and Land Rover, however I never, ever use those paddles as the experience is so very bland. I have owned two A6’s and the LR for the last six years, but I’ll bet you I have not driven more than 8 miles total with the paddles! Snooze.

Just a question, but do you have any interest in learning to drive a true manual stick shift? May I encourage you that your answer should be yes.
Unfortunately have no desire to learn a true manual stick shift. At the very most, I’d say I’m curious, but I’m very happy with paddle shifting, it’s fun. I do understand that’s a big thing among most car enthusiasts but I personally just don’t have a high motivation to learn stick, too much work. It might be funner though, which is why I’m curious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And, I am remiss in not saying congrats on your purchase. When you get it, please post pictures and your experience with the egear. I think you will absolutely love it. For clarity on my above post, the egear transmission especially on the Gallardo at least is a real joy to drive. If it was not, I would have already sold mine and gotten another manual. Again congratulations
I appreciate it, I’m very excited, I’ll post pics when it gets delivered.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Do you have a delivery date Storms? The experience of your first Lamborghini will be with you for the rest of your life. We all love reliving it over and over vicariously, so please share as much as you will. :)

I'll refine my position on the auto a bit more, and I don't attribute these comments to anyone but myself. I really don't think my original verbiage was imposed on anyone else, but for clarity...

In the vast majority of vehicles with paddle shifters (BMW, JEEP, MAZDA etc), most don't use the paddle shifters often or at all, and when you do they are uninspiring, so there really isn't a need to touch them. In a Lambo, there really is no other way to drive it.

You can search these threads thoroughly and won't find a single recommendation that you drive in auto, in fact quite the opposite. And for good reason. Auto in these cars sucks. Not only is it jerky, but probably bad for the vehicle in more ways than it eats up the very expensive to replace clutch. It shifts way too early, among other issues. Yes, the ride in auto is crappy.

You didn't say that you were going to Storm, but if you have any intention of driving the G for prolonged periods of time in Automatic because manual is too much work or whatever reason (I understand you were referring to working the third pedal, which you won't with egear) you will likely be sorely disappointed with the ride. Learning to drive the egear properly is critical to a positive experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts