Lamborghini Talk banner

Purchase

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  paith 
#1 ·
I just have a quick question and any help would be appreciated.

I am currently looking to buy a Murcielago, and as I was talking to my dad about this decision, he was telling me how his buddy in the military bought a porsche 911 Turbo over there for alot cheaper than he could buy one over here in th U.S. because of the exchange rates on U.S. currency at the time. Is there any truth to this? What would you guys recommend? Has anyone here done something like this?

#2 ·
Don't buy a European car. First, you probably can't anymore. Second, importing to the US will still require a lot of paperwork, emissions and dot conversions, etc. Third, you got it cheap, it'll resell for just as cheap. In the end you didn't actually save money.

Fourth, and this is the big one, there is NO WARRANTY on a Euro car in North America. None.

-Ben

#4 ·
bentasm1 said:
Don't buy a European car. First, you probably can't anymore. Second, importing to the US will still require a lot of paperwork, emissions and dot conversions, etc. Third, you got it cheap, it'll resell for just as cheap. In the end you didn't actually save money.

Fourth, and this is the big one, there is NO WARRANTY on a Euro car in North America. None.

-Ben
1) True, with the current exchange rate it won't be cheaper.

2) On the savings you could have (especially on something like a 360 spider) had before the $ took a drive, I think it would be worth the effort.

3) Depends on demand. On something like a 360 spider i'm guessing you wouldn't sell it for so much cheaper, because supply is short in the US (this is hear say, based on the quoted resale people are stating on 2-3 year old spiders). Also even if you do sell it for less, and the saving cancels its self out. You still have that extra money in your account to invest. Rather then sitting in a car.

4) Warranty is the big one. You would get the parts, but from what your saying the labour would not be covered. We dont have that problem in Europe, warranty's are Pan European :)

I'm guessing you should be able to buy the warrante though. Over here some countries get longer warranty periods for cars (i.e. 3 years instead of 2.) And our trade laws mean the manufacturer can't refuse to sell you that extra year, which they sell to the UK suppliers.

Also if you buy an older car, the warranty would not be an issue in any case.

In short you have to factor in ALL the costs (not just the sticker price). Warranty costs, conversion/cert cost, shipping costs, residual differential and if it makes monetary sense go ahead and do it.

I'm pretty certain with the current weakness of the $ it won't make sense. But that can change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.