Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I hope your're having a great day.

I hope this thing is in the right section as I tend to mess up stuff like that.

Anyway,

I got my eye on a nice Lambo G. The thing is, the car is in Dubai. You guys wouldn't believe the deals one could get over here!

Believe me, I have done all the research I can do online before posting and just didn't get a straight answer.

My main concern is getting the car registered in the US.

Here's what I know I'm supposed to do.
1- check the driver side sticker
2- check the VIN

I checked the sticker and it says the car has been approved to be driven in the GCC region (Middle East).

The VIN however indicates that the car has been manufactured for the European market.

The car is a 2004 Gallardo and has all of its paper work with it and is in top-notch condition.

I guess what I'm asking is what will I need to do -other than ship the car- to get it to the US and have it registered there?

Any input will be useful.
PS: This would be my first Lambo.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ Yeah... I will be sure to have the VIN checked for a full report. I'm not sure that Carfax or any of the other similar companies cover cars that are not in the US. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If it is not a us version car, you cannot import into the US. I saw similar deals and did a bunch of research. US customs will not let it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^^ I understand what you're saying.

I continued searching and came across the website of the NHTSA. It does say the importing a non-conforming vehicle is possible.

However, it does warn that some vehicles will need to be "modified," and such "modifications" may end up being "expensive" and in some cases even impossible.

The site lists a number of "registered" importers that are responsible for said "modifications" in case they are needed.

I guess my question is:
What would those "modifications" - that I would end up paying an importer to do - be?

I mean are we talking simple changes like filters, MPH speedometer, turn signals and so on or are GCC spec Lambos different internally too? Engine, cooling, emissions, etc...

Edit - Typos :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
you are a lost puppy.

You cant drive an EU spec car in the U.S

ANd we drive our cars to **** and leave them in the heat...

I am from Dubai and I still buy my cars from abroad. you never know what you are gonna get. You cant a lambo used unless yu know where its coming from... especially a G.

Coversion of a G to u.s spec will cost 20-25k and add a import shipping fee of 2-3k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ I get what you're saying.

As far as the condition of the car goes, I plan to have it fully inspected by at least a couple of good places before I put any money down. Plus, I'll go through all of the bill and service records carefully. So, the condition of the car isn't a major concern for now.

I have been looking for a car for the last month and I kind of narrowed down my options to 3

Lambo Murci
Lambo Gallardo
Ferrari 599 GTB

(They are not exactly in the same price range)

Would you happen to know what the 20-25k modifications include?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder
15,473 Posts
There are lots of good buys here in the US, is it really worth the hassle? I guess if your buying it for around 50k maybe?

·
Registered
280 Posts
^^ I get what you're saying.

As far as the condition of the car goes, I plan to have it fully inspected by at least a couple of good places before I put any money down. Plus, I'll go through all of the bill and service records carefully. So, the condition of the car isn't a major concern for now.

I have been looking for a car for the last month and I kind of narrowed down my options to 3

Lambo Murci
Lambo Gallardo
Ferrari 599 GTB

(They are not exactly in the same price range)

Would you happen to know what the 20-25k modifications include?
Assuming it is possible, My guess is epa and safety modifications will be required since US has different standard from Europe.
Another possible problem will be trying to buy US version parts in Dubai or Europe and having someone to modify it to US standard.

Also there will be tax due for importing plus whatever entry fee is.

·
Registered
701 Posts
its not that complicated, its just that its not worth it.

You will come out with a much better car if you buy in the states. dont mget me wrong used cars are very cheap in dubai. I can find you a gallardo for 55k usd.

with conversion and shipping it will be 85.

you can find one state side for 90 and a bit more thats just as good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not that complicated, its just that its not worth it.

You will come out with a much better car if you buy in the states. dont mget me wrong used cars are very cheap in dubai. I can find you a gallardo for 55k usd.

with conversion and shipping it will be 85.

you can find one state side for 90 and a bit more thats just as good.

That makes a lot of sense. You're right; I should probably hold up on the purchase for now.

The funny thing is that I originally set out to get an Aventador. Then I found it that are a bit out of budget (as of last month). Then I saw the prices in Dubai and I was surprised. I figured I could get at least a couple of great cars without changing or adding anything to my budget.

Anyways... thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I looked into this a lot and I am pretty sure it is way harder than people seem to think.

It is much easier with cars that are older. (Pre 1985 is a piece of cake.) As a car gets more modern, the restrictions are a lot tougher. I believe 1995 is another year where things really tightened.

A modern car has to meet all of the import standards of that year. Here is the US customs page on importing. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425

"The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof an entry was filed with CBP and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. If the vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in the U.S. You will either have to bring it up to U.S. standards or export the car."

I talked with a us customs agent and he told me since there is a US version of that car being imported, they will not allow a non-US car in. It does not meet any "vehicle of special interest" standards. The custom agent said their stance was "since a US version is available, buy that one."

I spoke with a state certified mechanic that was licensed to modify cars to US standards. The mechanic who makes the upgrades has to be certified. There were only 2 in the state of Oregon at the time. He said it is very hard to get cars in past customs just to start the modification and certification process. They can get turned away at the dock.

I did the exact same thing you are doing when I saw a Diablo for $50,000 out of Dubai. It was several years ago, but I spent a lot of time on it. In short, it is not any sort of money saver, even if you can jump through the long list of hurdles and red tape.

*Sometimes US version cars are sold over seas. If you can find a US car over there, you may be in business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked into this a lot and I am pretty sure it is way harder than people seem to think.

It is much easier with cars that are older. (Pre 1985 is a piece of cake.) As a car gets more modern, the restrictions are a lot tougher. I believe 1995 is another year where things really tightened.

A modern car has to meet all of the import standards of that year. Here is the US customs page on importing. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425

"The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof an entry was filed with CBP and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. If the vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in the U.S. You will either have to bring it up to U.S. standards or export the car."

I talked with a us customs agent and he told me since there is a US version of that car being imported, they will not allow a non-US car in. It does not meet any "vehicle of special interest" standards. The custom agent said their stance was "since a US version is available, buy that one."

I spoke with a state certified mechanic that was licensed to modify cars to US standards. The mechanic who makes the upgrades has to be certified. There were only 2 in the state of Oregon at the time. He said it is very hard to get cars in past customs just to start the modification and certification process. They can get turned away at the dock.

I did the exact same thing you are doing when I saw a Diablo for $50,000 out of Dubai. It was several years ago, but I spent a lot of time on it. In short, it is not any sort of money saver, even if you can jump through the long list of hurdles and red tape.

*Sometimes US version cars are sold over seas. If you can find a US car over there, you may be in business.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I truly appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of people are also looking at prices of Italian cars to import those here, too. It's difficult, if not impossible.

Good luck with your search!
Yeah, I figure the only way to do this without a lot of hassle is to find a US-spec car that has been exported out of the states - like another member mentioned here previously - but then again, I don't think that such a find would be easy. It's just not worth it as far as I'm concerned now.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you lived in Europe I would say go for it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yeah, I figure the only way to do this without a lot of hassle is to find a US-spec car that has been exported out of the states - like another member mentioned here previously - but then again, I don't think that such a find would be easy. It's just not worth it as far as I'm concerned now.
It is sometimes done. Look at what Gvan did. Exported from Canada to Italy. Then sold back into North America somewhere.

BTW...i was told the Gallardo was a world spec car, no? Meaning it complies with all standards, because there is only 1 version built for the world (actually 2, r and l hand drive).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is sometimes done. Look at what Gvan did. Exported from Canada to Italy. Then sold back into North America somewhere.

BTW...i was told the Gallardo was a world spec car, no? Meaning it complies with all standards, because there is only 1 version built for the world (actually 2, r and l hand drive).

Your post made investigate a bit deeper in the NHTSA website. I learned a couple of things and decided to email Lamborghini to put this thing to rest once and for all... Here's what I put in the email:

Hello

I would like some information about the differences between the different "specs" of the 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo. I intend to import one to the US.

As far as I know, Lamborghini has petitioned to the Federal Government of The United States that it has a similar model that is manufactured for the purpose of sale in the US. The NHTSA website lists the 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo as a "nonconforming vehicle that is eligible for importation."

The eligibility number for the 2004 Gallardo is VSP 458. The following is a direct quote from NHTSA documents:

""VSP" eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. § 30141(a)(1)(A), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists. Where a VSP listing has no specific body style(s) noted, only the body style(s) of the associated vehicle model that were U.S.-certified by the original manufacturer are eligible for importation under that decision."

The car is located in Dubai; it's labeled "GCC spec." The vin number, however, Indicates that it was manufactured for the European market.

What I would like to know is the differences between the different NA, EU, and GCC "specs." I would also like to know if I can obtain any documentation from Lamborghini that might make shipping the car and importing it easier.

Thank you for your time.

P.s: I prefer to be contacted via Email.

Best regards,

What do you guys think about what I highlighted in red?

There might be something to this after all :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts