Lamborghini Talk banner

Pros n Cons of Lithium Batteries

1888 14
Hey everyone,

Akhand (Aku) from Antigravity Batteries here

Recently, we saw a lot of people asking us about the pros and cons of Lithium-Ion Batteries. So, here is it! FYI this post covers pros and cons about all Lithium-Ion Batteries!

Lithium batteries have become the go-to power source for just everything in the world now and the automotive world is not far behind on adapting to change!

Automotive giants like BMW, Audi, and Motorcycle manufacturers like KTM and Harley Davidson are all moving towards using Lithium-ion Batteries now!
Let’s take a look at some of the pro’s and con’s of the most popular battery on the planet.

Advantages

Energy Density
Lithium batteries pack a lot of capacity in a small package, the much higher power density offered by lithium-ion batteries is a distinct advantage. Because of this, you can have a higher capacity battery by not adding a lot of weight. Hey, no wonder that even our 60ah battery only weighs approx. 18 pounds!

Low Self-Discharge
Lithium batteries have less than half the self-discharge rate of traditional nickel or lead-based batteries; which means lithium batteries can sit without use for a long time, and still power up when called upon.

What does this mean for us (users)? Vehicles using lithium-ion batteries can sit without a battery charger/maintainer for months! Given there is no crazy parasitic draw on the battery when the vehicle is not in use.

High Potential Current
Lithium batteries are capable of very high current, meaning that even a 30ah battery that only weighs approx. 11 pounds can punch up to 1200 cranking amps which is almost twice more cranking amps that any conventional lead-acid battery!

Low Maintenance
One major lithium-ion battery advantage is that they do not require maintenance to ensure their performance. Lead Acid batteries require periodic discharge and charge cycle to ensure that they don’t exhibit the memory effect. As this does not affect lithium-ion cells, this process or other similar maintenance procedures are not required.

Variety of types available
There are several types of lithium-ion cells available. This advantage of lithium-ion batteries can mean that the right technology can be used for the particular application needed. Some forms of lithium-ion batteries provide a high current density and are ideal for consumer mobile electronic equipment. Others can provide much higher current levels and are ideal for power tools and electric vehicles.

Disadvantages

Protection required
Lithium-ion cells and batteries are not as robust as some other rechargeable technologies. They require protection from being overcharged and discharged too far. In addition to this, they need to have the current maintained within safe limits. Hence all Lithium batteries require Battery Management System (BMS) and should come with one regardless of what brand one goes for!

Transportation
This lithium-ion battery disadvantage has come up in the recent years. Many airlines limit the number of lithium-ion batteries they take, and this means their transportation is limited to ships. For air travelers, lithium-ion batteries often need to be in carry-on luggage, although with the security position, this may change from time to time.

HEY!! Antigravity Micro-Start Jump Starters are TSA approved tho!

Cost
A major lithium-ion battery disadvantage is its cost. Typically, they are around 40% to 60% more costly to manufacture than a lead-acid battery. This is a major factor when considering their use in mass-produced consumer items where any additional costs are a major issue.

Got more questions? Feel free to ask us anything about Lithium batteries!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I want to convert to lithium this winter
Reach out to me when you're ready, I can get you great pricing on AG batteries. I've upgraded more than a few cars on here and I use them myself in every vehicle I own. Just an exceptional product.
[email protected] is the best way to contact me.

I don't have the Gallardo listed yet but I do have a Gallardo battery offering. Just need to get it up on the site.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lithium = more dangerous
In the way a Huracan is more dangerous than a Toyota Camry. Realize OEM's like BMW and others have been using lithium ion batteries for years. To imply these are somehow inherently dangerous would be incorrect.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,738 Posts
Anyone have experience with the dangers of Lithium, I would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hey Russ, yes there are different type of lithium battery chemistries that are more dangerous than others.

LiPo amd Lithium Ion are the most “dangerous”, if you will with LiPo being more “energy dense” as it were.

They can ignite and you just have to know how to handle and use them. They are a godsend in the radio control hobby arena.

Lithium Ferrophosphate is a special chemistry that is much more stable and able to take abuse much more readily than LiPo or lithium ion. You really can only kill them by over discharging them, but they won’t ignite. They don’t have the energy density of LiPo or lithium ion but are more stable and have WAY more energy density than lead acid.

There is more to LiFe batteries, but that’s a good start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts