Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just want to introduce myself.

My name is Benjamin and I am here to make connections, share advice and share in your experiences. I am a professional detailer and have been in the industry for 20+ years now.
I've worked on just about any car you can imagine from classics to modern exotics and have a lot of experience. I have also mentored other detailers and helped them to better succeed in their businesses.

I would like to offer myself as a source of advice when it comes to caring for your vehicle. If you have questions about how to clean or recondition any part of your vehicle I will take the time to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
I specialize in and have extensive knowledge in paint correction, ceramic coatings, paint protection film and window tint.
I have worked as a Ceramic Pro Certified Installer for over 5 years and due to the network of installers/detailers that I've accumulated over the years I have what seems like endless resources.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for help.
Although, I am not offering my services here, I am offering advice.
Thank you for accepting me to the forums!

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
Welcome Benjamin! I use Polymer waxes almost exclusively and when I tried using Carnauba waxes they seemed to attract dust, like a magnet attracts metal. Maybe it has to do with the oils in Carnauba wax. What Polymer wax do you recommend and do you have an opinion on Meguiar's Fast Finish?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lambo. I agree, traditional carnauba waxes will attract dirt as they are oil based. One way I like to describe it is imagine rolling a candle down a driveway on a hot day, everything will stick to it.
Then when you wash the car you'll essentially be rubbing all of that dirt into the paint resulting in swirls and scratches. Polymer (or synthetic) waxes also known as sealants do work better in many ways, but ultimately I recommend ceramic coatings for the best ease of cleaning and long term protection. Even a short term 1 year coating will outperform any sealant or wax.
If I were to choose a polymer wax to recommend, I'd have to say Meguiar's NXT is decent and will last for 3 to 6 months if maintained properly.
If you'd like something longer term that would require less applications, I recommend professional grade coatings.

Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
Nice to meet you Benjamin. Thanks for offering you help and advice.

Reactions: BmckinneyCP

Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
Now here is an area of expertise that I could use some serious help in. Welcome to the forums.

Registered
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2
Hello, Benjamin! Thanks so much for joining and offering to share your valuable knowledge.

In between having my car professionally cleaned I like to do what I call "quick washes" myself. The rundown: I'll lightly dust the inside with a dash duster, blow out the interior with an air compressor, hose her off using Georgia garden hose tap water, use Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, and hand wash her using a microfiber mitt. When done I'll hose off the bubbly and towel down the water to minimize spots. I don't do any interior sprays, tire shines, waxing, etc...I leave that to the pros.

The car has a clear bra on the front bumper, hood, and side mirrors. I also just had the ceramic coating installed.

Should I be using a water filter?
Do you have a preference on car wash solution for "quick washes"?
What's better to dry off with other than a regular shower towel?
If I did want to use tire shine what would you recommend?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, Benjamin! Thanks so much for joining and offering to share your valuable knowledge.

In between having my car professionally cleaned I like to do what I call "quick washes" myself. The rundown: I'll lightly dust the inside with a dash duster, blow out the interior with an air compressor, hose her off using Georgia garden hose tap water, use Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, and hand wash her using a microfiber mitt. When done I'll hose off the bubbly and towel down the water to minimize spots. I don't do any interior sprays, tire shines, waxing, etc...I leave that to the pros.

The car has a clear bra on the front bumper, hood, and side mirrors. I also just had the ceramic coating installed.

Should I be using a water filter?
Do you have a preference on car wash solution for "quick washes"?
What's better to dry off with other than a regular shower towel?
If I did want to use tire shine what would you recommend?
Hi 26Viper,

From the sounds of it you're doing a great job at keeping up with the basic necessities of cleaning your car. Regular washes are very important to mitigate contaminants from bonding to surfaces on the vehicle. Additionally, you had the PPF and Ceramic Coating installed and that in itself should offer the long term protection your vehicle will need.

To answer your questions:
  • Using a water filter isn't an absolute must, but it will lessen the amount of mineral deposits that could occur. The ceramic coating is still susceptible to spotting so it's very important that you dry the vehicle thoroughly after a wash. If you feel that you may not be able to dry the vehicle fast enough, I would recommend a de-ionized water filtration setup. This is a way to use 'soft water' for washing and rinsing the car.
  • Personally, when I wash coated vehicles I prefer to use soaps that are pH neutral and contain no waxes and little to no surfactants to avoid 'clogging' the pores of the coating and losing the self cleaning performance that many ceramic coatings offer. You might want to check out SHIFT by Shine Supply.
  • For a drying towel, you should be using a very absorbent towel that is gentle enough to not cause any marring or swirls. I use a towel called the Dreadnaught by Autofiber. You can dry the entire vehicle without having to wring it out or change to another towel. Just wash after each use and keep it store in a clean dust free environment.
  • I prefer tire treatments that do not sling, which is primarily just tire coatings of different types. I like Midnight Tire & Trim Dressing by Americana. It dries completely on the tire after application and will not be reactivated by water causing sling.

I also recommend washing the car with a bit more pressure than the typical garden hose puts out. There are decent electric pressure washers that put out 1800 - 2400 psi and 1.8 - 2.4 gpm.
This would give you better rinsing power than the garden hose, which is a very important step before you put soap and mitts on the car. I like to use a foam cannon for every car I wash.

First I clean the wheels, tires and wheel wells with a multi-purpose cleaner and wheel woolies and rinse thoroughly after.
Then I would rinse the entire car thoroughly to remove any loose dirt or debris. I follow the rinse by foaming the car with a foam cannon and high foaming soap and then start washing the car.
The wash process should start on the roof and you work your way down. You don't want to wash the bottoms of the car with your mitt and then wash the hood as you could risk taking dirt and contaminants with the mitt and cause scratches on the hood.
After washing the whole car, I follow with a thorough rinse and then completely dry the vehicle. I also use a cordless blower to blow water out of the wheels and all the cracks and crevices around the vehicle so that drips won't leave spots on the car later.
Hope this is enough info to keep you going in the right direction :)

- Ben

Registered
Ben....you, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I literally just printed out your reply and will follow it going forward. Ordering some new products now, too!

Sounds like I won't have to change my routine much to dramatically improve my "quick washes".

If you ever find yourself in Atlanta please hit me up! I owe you a beer for the wisdom, my friend 馃嵒

Registered
Hi 26Viper,

From the sounds of it you're doing a great job at keeping up with the basic necessities of cleaning your car. Regular washes are very important to mitigate contaminants from bonding to surfaces on the vehicle. Additionally, you had the PPF and Ceramic Coating installed and that in itself should offer the long term protection your vehicle will need.

To answer your questions:
  • Using a water filter isn't an absolute must, but it will lessen the amount of mineral deposits that could occur. The ceramic coating is still susceptible to spotting so it's very important that you dry the vehicle thoroughly after a wash. If you feel that you may not be able to dry the vehicle fast enough, I would recommend a de-ionized water filtration setup. This is a way to use 'soft water' for washing and rinsing the car.
  • Personally, when I wash coated vehicles I prefer to use soaps that are pH neutral and contain no waxes and little to no surfactants to avoid 'clogging' the pores of the coating and losing the self cleaning performance that many ceramic coatings offer. You might want to check out SHIFT by Shine Supply.
  • For a drying towel, you should be using a very absorbent towel that is gentle enough to not cause any marring or swirls. I use a towel called the Dreadnaught by Autofiber. You can dry the entire vehicle without having to wring it out or change to another towel. Just wash after each use and keep it store in a clean dust free environment.
  • I prefer tire treatments that do not sling, which is primarily just tire coatings of different types. I like Midnight Tire & Trim Dressing by Americana. It dries completely on the tire after application and will not be reactivated by water causing sling.

I also recommend washing the car with a bit more pressure than the typical garden hose puts out. There are decent electric pressure washers that put out 1800 - 2400 psi and 1.8 - 2.4 gpm.
This would give you better rinsing power than the garden hose, which is a very important step before you put soap and mitts on the car. I like to use a foam cannon for every car I wash.

First I clean the wheels, tires and wheel wells with a multi-purpose cleaner and wheel woolies and rinse thoroughly after.
Then I would rinse the entire car thoroughly to remove any loose dirt or debris. I follow the rinse by foaming the car with a foam cannon and high foaming soap and then start washing the car.
The wash process should start on the roof and you work your way down. You don't want to wash the bottoms of the car with your mitt and then wash the hood as you could risk taking dirt and contaminants with the mitt and cause scratches on the hood.
After washing the whole car, I follow with a thorough rinse and then completely dry the vehicle. I also use a cordless blower to blow water out of the wheels and all the cracks and crevices around the vehicle so that drips won't leave spots on the car later.
Hope this is enough info to keep you going in the right direction :)

- Ben
I use a leaf blower to dry my vehicle

Registered
Same. Ceramic coated Huracan. I put an RV water filter on my garden hose and wash at very low pressure from roof down and water rinses off the car in sheets with minimal beading. After blower wipe down windows with chamois and im done.

Premium Member
+1 for the leaf blower but the RV water filter (pictured) did not seem to provide any added benefit so I threw them away.

Attachments

Registered
Genius! Never thought of that. I'll sometimes use an air compressor to blow out the inside of the car but never thought of a leaf blower for the exterior. I'm stealing that idea 馃榾

Registered
+1 for the leaf blower but the RV water filter (pictured) did not seem to provide any added benefit so I threw them away.
You need to run the pressure very low and start at the roof. Ive noticed much less water spotting and marks. Could be accentuated by the ceramic coat.

Premium Member
You need to run the pressure very low and start at the roof. Ive noticed much less water spotting and marks. Could be accentuated by the ceramic coat.
You could be right but after I wash the car I then hit with the leaf blower then the MF towels and it doesn't have time to spot. I also never wash in direct sunlight.
I bought this Worx Hydroshot which is a battery operated sprayer that I would use with 2 gallons of distilled water after the wash to rinse off the tap/mineral laden water and although it worked great I just felt it was really not necessary. BTW, the price on the Worx went up quite a bit I only paid around $100 a couple of years ago.

Attachments

Registered
Right there with you my blower is plugged in and set to deploy as soon as i shut off the garden hose. I cant avoid washing in direct sunlight.

Premium Member
I try wash my H at dusk when the sun is setting helps keep water spots away
You know my friend, the part that takes the longest when washing our Huracans' is the drying.....water seeps into every conceivable nook and cranny.

Registered
Tell me about it. Im careful to use my blower pointing from roof to tail to avoid water going in to the engine compartment from the rear slats.

Premium Member
Ben, thanks for sharing your tips. Is there a filter/deionizer system you would suggest? Also, what is your opinion about optimum no rinse to remove a light coating of dust?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts