Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure of the proper jargon when referring to the cover/hood of the engine, but I do know that some people prefer a glass cover and some people prefer the metal cover.

1) What is the actual proper name of the cover/hood over the engine?

2) Which do you prefer? It is redundant to claim that the glass cover is "flashy" since Lamborghinis are already quite flashy. lol. :D But I would be curious to see which people prefer?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

P.S. I have searched for the term online (Googled it) and I still cannot find the actual term for it. Maybe there isn't one...but I just wanted to check with you all. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
"Engine cover" :D

Personally I like the vents over the glass. Lighter too. I have to give it to Ferrari in that their engine bay is really made to be shown off. The G's engine is a bit more austere.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I prefer the louvers. The louvered cover weighs less than the glass version and allows better engine bay cooling due to it's larger surface area of vents. Looks more high performance, too. You don't see any of the LP560 Trofeo race cars with a glass hatch, do you? Maximum performance is a reason ....... these are performance cars !:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
You will exculde a lot of othewise excellent cars if you insist on a glass bonnet. That's the route I went with my first Gallardo. I just had to have a glass bonnet and I had to make some sacrifices (e.g. a car with higher miles) to get one.

I settled for a car without one for my second Gallard because I got tired of looking for the right car with a glass bonnet. The car I bought is pretty close to flawless otherwise, and I have really grown to appreciate the look even more so than the glass bonnet. The louvers in the bonnet really pull the car together better visually than the glass does in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I am not sure of the proper jargon when referring to the cover/hood of the engine, but I do know that some people prefer a glass cover and some people prefer the metal cover.

1) What is the actual proper name of the cover/hood over the engine?

2) Which do you prefer? It is redundant to claim that the glass cover is "flashy" since Lamborghinis are already quite flashy. lol. :D But I would be curious to see which people prefer?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

P.S. I have searched for the term online (Googled it) and I still cannot find the actual term for it. Maybe there isn't one...but I just wanted to check with you all. Thanks!
For me it's no contest -- the glass bonnet. In fact, I wouldn't consider a G without one. They were not that common on `04s like mine, but unless I miss my guess based on my continuous monitoring of AutoTrader, the vast majority of Gs (coupes only of course, as the glass bonnet is not offered on the Spyder), made over the last four years come with glass.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, thank you so much for educating me! This is wonderful and you all have been so helpful.

@ Gvan - do you feel that the louvers (vents) pick up additional dust or problems though?

@ Rampante - I agree about performance, and that is one of the major things that draw me to Lambos. I would like to have optimal performance with the vehicle that I purchase.

@ Chris D - Is it possible to have the bonnet changed on a Gallardo or is it essentially too big of a cost/problem to make these modifications? Or is that not possible?

@ Everyone - anyone have any experience with a clear polycarbonate bonnet? I may have that name wrong, but essentially it isn't glass but a mixture that is still light and allows for people to see the engine. Just curious if people even have this option on a Gallardo.

Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
@ Everyone - anyone have any experience with a clear polycarbonate bonnet? I may have that name wrong, but essentially it isn't glass but a mixture that is still light and allows for people to see the engine. Just curious if people even have this option on a Gallardo.

Thanks again for all of your help!
been done:
Replacing a Shattered Gallardo Engine Glass Cover

anyways, i like the glass; wife likes louvers; but it was not one of the MUST-HAVE. The color was the only thing that was non-negotiable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
412 Posts
:boxing:The majority of the coupes coming in the states have the glass bonnets ....In general the new car buyer is wanting this.....that is the trend for now...the ones that are getting the louvers seem to be mostly the Balboni 550-2 cars....:argue:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
i prefer the clear bonnet. it is cool looking.

mine is a solid louvered bonnet. i am not going to spend another 10-12k replacing what i have. if i ordered my car, i would definitely pony the extra few grand for the option.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
LAUTLOS,
The details that I received from Reiter Engineering GmbH regarding the Super Trofeo engine cover stated: The engine cover for optimized ventilation is derived directly from the race car.
They did advise that a louvered decklid (even in the std. version) is more effective in ducting the engine bay's heat (than glass version).
It might be a minuscule amount; you'd need a recording thermometer in the (closed) engine bay to figure that one out. Who knows for sure? :)
Also, keep in perspective that your thermal pics are static; and that the vehicle is not in motion which does change the equation somewhat.
Bottom line: it's what each person prefers on their own car.:tleft:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts