Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a thread in the Gallardo sub-forum to figure out how many "Gated / 6-Speed" Pre-LP Gallardos are out there. In the thread, socialpro1 was wondering how many Pre-LP Murcielago's had been made. I was curious too as I want to get an LP640 next and love the Murcielago in general.

So I went through the VW/ Audi AG annual reports and got the following information:

Lamborghini Murcielago (Pre-LP Production)
2001: 65 Coupe | 0 Roadster
2002: 442 Coupe | 0 Roadster
2003: 424 Coupe | 0 Roadster
2004: 304 Coupe | 80 Roadster
2005: 230 Coupe | 234 Roadster
2006: 323 Coupe | 121 Roadster

Total Pre-LP Murcielago Coupes: 1,788
Total Pre-LP Murcielago Roadsters: 435
Total Pre-LP Murcielago Production: 2,223

For those who want to "trust but verify" here is a link to the first two data points (annual report PDF). Just "Ctrl+F (find)" and type "Lamborghini". You will come to the 65 and 442 number. Trust me on the rest of them (or go find them yourself!)
https://ddd.uab.cat/pub/infanu/146223/iaVOLKSWAGENa2002ieng.pdf

You can just search "Audi AG Annual Report [YEAR]" on Google.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the production numbers in the future!

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
426 Posts
Former CEO stephan winkelmann also estimated that after 2003 approximately 5% of muricelagos were ordered with manual transmissions.

That would be approximately:
2004: 19 manual
2005: 23 manual
2006: 22 manual

Those aren't firm production numbers, but basically the closest estimate we'll get. I did a cursory check on LP112 and those figures seem more or less in line with the estimates one can gather from LP112.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just picked up one of the 23 gated 2005's. I feel quite fortunate to be able to find a newer model at a reasonable price and history!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Great thread. Were all the 01-03 coupes manual? Or is that just down to 01-02?

That will help start of a baseline that we can grow the numbers from.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great thread. Were all the 01-03 coupes manual? Or is that just down to 01-02?

That will help start of a baseline that we can grow the numbers from.
Yes, all 01-03 murcielagos were 6 speed manual. (There might have been a very late 03 egear prototype or two).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Former CEO stephan winkelmann also estimated that after 2003 approximately 5% of muricelagos were ordered with manual transmissions.
I heard that quote too, but I am thinking that it whittled down to 5% by the end of the Murci run, and was higher at the beginning in 04.

·
Registered
2006 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (6-speed)
41 Posts

Those aren't firm production numbers, but basically the closest estimate we'll get. I did a cursory check on LP112 and those figures seem more or less in line with the estimates one can gather from LP112.
There are likely quite a few more than that world-wide, just based on the number of U.S. gated murci roadsters out there. I’ve spent several years documenting the U.S./Canadian gated roadsters, mostly because of my curiosity as to how many had manual transmissions, the fact that I own one, and due to the lack of information provided by Lamborghini. Thus far I’ve documented 45 U.S.-market gated roadsters (Pre-LP and LP) for all years of production (VINs have been confirmed for 35 of the 45. The remaining 10 where VINs could not be obtained were identified by distinct features seen in photos/videos.). Thirty-six of the 45 are pre-LP roadsters. For Canada I’ve documented an additional 8 Pre-LP gated roadsters. Based upon my research to-date, I’m estimating that no more than about 50 U.S roadsters were gated. I have not attempted to document world-wide production but judging from the U.S. numbers there must be quite a few more out there. So we’re already at 5% of the 899 world-total for roadsters just for the U.S. cars!

I’ve never attempted to document the number of 2004-2006 U.S. gated coupes as that would be an incredibly huge undertaking, but if one extrapolates from the roadster numbers, however dangerous that might be, using a figure of roughly 9% (36-41 Pre-LP gated U.S. roadsters divided by 435 world-wide), one could assume that there would be around 77 gated Pre-LP U.S. coupes for 2004-2006 simply due to the fact that Lamborghini produced almost twice as many 2004-2006 coupes as roadsters (857 vs. 435). Obviously if the rest of the world is included then this number would jump considerably. Maybe someday in the future Lamborghini will be more able/willing to release detailed production statistics but for now all we can do is estimate based upon the best available information.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There are likely quite a few more than that world-wide, just based on the number of U.S. gated murci roadsters out there. I’ve spent several years documenting the U.S./Canadian gated roadsters, mostly because of my curiosity as to how many had manual transmissions, the fact that I own one, and due to the lack of information provided by Lamborghini. Thus far I’ve documented 45 U.S.-market gated roadsters (Pre-LP and LP) for all years of production (VINs have been confirmed for 35 of the 45. The remaining 10 where VINs could not be obtained were identified by distinct features seen in photos/videos.). Thirty-six of the 45 are pre-LP roadsters. For Canada I’ve documented an additional 8 Pre-LP gated roadsters. Based upon my research to-date, I’m estimating that no more than about 50 U.S roadsters were gated. I have not attempted to document world-wide production but judging from the U.S. numbers there must be quite a few more out there. So we’re already at 5% of the 899 world-total for roadsters just for the U.S. cars!

I’ve never attempted to document the number of 2004-2006 U.S. gated coupes as that would be an incredibly huge undertaking, but if one extrapolates from the roadster numbers, however dangerous that might be, using a figure of roughly 9% (36-41 Pre-LP gated U.S. roadsters divided by 435 world-wide), one could assume that there would be around 77 gated Pre-LP U.S. coupes for 2004-2006 simply due to the fact that Lamborghini produced almost twice as many 2004-2006 coupes as roadsters (857 vs. 435). Obviously if the rest of the world is included then this number would jump considerably. Maybe someday in the future Lamborghini will be more able/willing to release detailed production statistics but for now all we can do is estimate based upon the best available information.
Your post got me thinking.... It's about as thorough a theory as we could ask for at this point. But I wanted to look into that on LP112.com. Of course, LP112 is hardly a complete database but it's the best publically available one (and I would like to commend the webmasters).

After a little trial and error, I figured out a way to search their database effectively by using the following expressions to form wildcards in the URL.
Here, for example, is a link with custom expressions in the URL that allows me to search their database based on the lambo vin code to narrow in on certain features:
ZHW (automobili Lamborghini)
B (murcielago)
Market (Searching for all markets by inputting [0-9,a-z] to cover all possible vin options for that field. You can narrow it to USA by putting U in there.
Body Type: 1 for coupe, 2 for roadster. In my search I looked for all options.
Engine: 6 for glorious NA v12.
Features: M,N for Manual trans. S,T for e gear.
Transliterating number: best to search all possibilities here as it can be any single digit or alphabet character.
Year: 0-9. I narrowed it to pre-lp, post 03 by inputting 4,5,6.

~~ Here are the correct, complete vin decodes: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Lamborghini/VIN_Codes

You can adjust those url paramaters to meet your search needs and hopefully you post your findings. I don't have the time tonight to do a thorough dive into it. But if we assume that the sample size is large enough and that egear and manuals are roughly equally likely to be submitted to lp112, then we may be able to draw out some interesting info.... (my stats professor is pulling his hair out somewhere right now).

https://www.lp112 DOT com/Lamborghini/byVIN.asp?ChassisNumber=ZHWB[0-9,a-z][0-9,a-z]6M[0-9,a-z][4,5,6]

^^ Copy all that and paste into the browser URL bar. Put erase the DOT and put a period there, remove the spaces, and search away.

Perhaps the simplest search was to look up total number of worldwide 04,05,06 manual murcis vs egear murcies within the database.
Manual: 43
Egear: 214
~20% manual.

Raw search inputs:
https://www.lp112.com/Lamborghini/b...=ZHWB[0-9,a-z][0-9,a-z]6[M,N][0-9,a-z][4,5,6]
https://www.lp112.com/Lamborghini/b...=ZHWB[0-9,a-z][0-9,a-z]6[S,T][0-9,a-z][4,5,6]
^ You get the idea now on how to adjust the search inputs so I'll stop including that now.

04 Manual: 15
04 E Gear: 47
31.9% manual

05 Manual: 18
05 E Gear: 66
27.7% manual

06 Manual: 10
06 E Gear: 102
9.8% manual

·
Registered
71 Posts

Reading this has me feeling more fortunate in my new purchase of an 05 gated roadster!

·
Registered
2006 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (6-speed)
41 Posts
Reading this has me feeling more fortunate in my new purchase of an 05 gated roadster!
Congrats! You have a rare car indeed! Any pics you care to share with the rest of us?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It has not been delivered yet. I'll post some once it arrives. I live on the east coast where we are still getting snow. I told the carrier to schedule delivery so it works best for his travels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts