Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General question to the peanut gallery…

for purchasing a $200K lambo, what would be the expected cost of an extensive PPI?

$500?, $1000? $2000? more???

also, are there certain type of PPI inspections that can be done…e.g. mechanicals only? Etc.

ideally I would just want a clutch, transmission and engine PPI.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have done around 10 ppis in my life and they ranged from $600-1100
I did a leak down and compression for a car that the ppi cost $1100 and i wanted to be as thorough as possible
The cost was not helped by the shop doing it as they charged hefty hourly rate.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Whacha looking at Angel? I paid $600. The other cars were from a dealer and still under warranty so I reviewed the service notes and skipped the PPI on the car with only 361 miles.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I just got one for a used Bentley. Something like $150. Pay more than that! I think it only took them an hour and I found a bunch of little things they didn't mention when the car arrived. I got info on the brakes and motor (my main concerns), but I would have liked to have known about the many minor issues that have cropped up.

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
I paid $500 for the Gallardo and have paid similar before. I hate paying it because I feel like they probably put it on the rack 10 min and call it good, places almost never have enough knowledge to tell you if it drives properly. But better than the alternative if there is a major problem that is easily spotted.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
When I got my SL, I called Newport Beach Lambo and I was quoted $1k…. Luckily I didn’t have to do it….

·
Registered
2 Posts
We charge $500 if compression leak down is ask for thats a extra $250 very rarely is compression leak down necessary, you can usually tell if you have a problem,if so we will suggest it.

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
186 Posts
I just paid about $400 US including a compression test & cylinder bore scope inspection on a 2006 Gallardo with 20,000 miles.
The mech (ex lambo dealer) let me hang around the workshop & showed me things as he went - stuff like all the factory paint dabs were aligned on all suspension parts/bolts meaning nothing had been taken apart - he even thought the spark plugs were original/never been removed.
Diagnosed an aircon issue (heater control valve) & gave me heaps of other great feedback & info on the car.
Cant believe i was considering winging it without a PPI...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

fyi, a full 1.5 day PPI on a Diablo was quoted at $1800

my concern is this…who’s to say the private seller doesn’t bail on the deal and use the PPI to sort out the vehicle… all at my expense

oh well

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,677 Posts
Bargain at any price...........................that is substantially less than the purchase price. Mistakes at these price points can be excessively costly. 💰

·
Premium Member
2022 H EVO RWD on order
2,201 Posts

my concern is this…who’s to say the private seller doesn’t bail on the deal and use the PPI to sort out the vehicle… all at my expense

oh well
Don’t give the findings. Just say yes or no to the deal based on your PPI. If it’s bad maybe offer it up for $1k to recoup some funds??!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

oh well
I think your concern is worst case scenario. Think about the cost of repairing a neglected or problematic Diablo. That is what your are trying to avoid. Paying $1,800 to avoid being out 10s of thousands is what you are doing. That being said.... 1.5 days of inspection seems a bit much. Must be one hell of an inspection.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I would absolutely offer to sell my ppi back to the seller.
The seller now has a valuable tool for the next perspective buyer.
1,800 is a lot but adds so much piece of mind. But even the most thorough ppi will not prevent something from breaking in these older cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.