Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Sports car world and have come to some conclusions’ about PPFs that now influence my decision tree about their value and also the amount of coverage that is appropriate or more precisely, that I deem necessary.
I have had 6 Sports cars over the past 4 years and have PPFed five of the cars (one already was protected) and I have spent ~20K for said “protection”. In all cases, I used and preferred the clarity of Suntek Ultra but, notwithstanding the clarity, it is nonetheless grossly deficient in its barrier properties. Invariably, within a few hundred miles I have experienced a through and through perforations which are far more unsightly than a chips would be when addressed with touchup paint and a DA polisher.

Conclusions’, however misguided:
  • Suntek Ultra is not PPF I will chose going forward, XPEL probably or whatever PPF at that point in time is touted as having better barrier properties
  • Full coverage is extreme overkill
  • I will modify, that is, decrease, the level of partial coverage too front bumper and rockers and call it a day. Formerly, I would do the entire front clip, backs of mirrors and rockers
Other observations:
  • The PPF diminishes the paint shine and luster so, in my opinion, less is truly more
  • The self-healing claim is a joke because the real weak link in the chain are perforations and they don’t heal and are infinity more concerning and unsightly than a few scratches in the PPF
  • the 10 year warranty is as useless as tits on a Bull..........no pun intended, well, maybe a little bit.

Exceptions:
  • If you’re a track fanatic a case could be made for full coverage but NOT full coverage with Suntek Ultra………trust me on this one.
  • If you imagine your Sports car/Lamborghini is a holy relic and then it may pay by virtue of the peace of mind it bestows.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I appreciate your perspective on this.

I’ve gone with full ppf on my lambos, and now full ppf on my nicer drivers plus ceramic coating over the ppf, and the wheels.

iIt is unbelievable how water rolls and slides off the “protected” cars. Particularly the filtered water.

A question for you Albert… do you think your advice would change (regarding full ppf, not specifically Suntek ultra) for someone with average detailing skills, or who can’t (or doesn’t want to) spend hours cleaning and polishing?

I’m concerned about hurting the clearcoat or paint to the point a respray would be warranted.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I put around 1100 miles on my EVO in about a month and I have my first perforation............so, the best way to claim victory in a potted field.............Hmmmmmm, I prefer the ventilated, holey, Swiss cheese look. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
450 Posts
I agree that Suntek is not as good of a PPF film as the Expel brand. I have used both in the last year and I would not use the Suntek brand again. Only Expel ultra for me going forward.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that Suntek is not as good of a PPF film as the Expel brand. I have used both in the last year and I would not use the Suntek brand again. Only Expel ultra for me going forward.
XPEL is what I am leaning toward going forward. In fact, I had a perforation on my 2021 EVO in the first 200 miles with Suntek Ultra.

FYI, I reached out to the owner and he said he would see what they can do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Full Coverage PPF for last couple cars. STEK is my material of choice; high level clarity. My cars are flat black and I've been able to maintain a mirror-like, swirl free finish.

Without PPF it's very unrealistic to not introduce swirls even with proper detailing technique. Depending on how picky you are, this is major.

Reactions: Cadster

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full Coverage PPF for last couple cars. STEK is my material of choice; high level clarity. My cars are flat black and I've been able to maintain a mirror-like, swirl free finish.

Without PPF it's very unrealistic to not introduce swirls even with proper detailing technique. Depending on how picky you are, this is major.
Yes, Black cars should have been added to the "exceptions" list, from all descriptions they are a challenge to keep blemish free.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Suntek’s claim to fame is that it is glossier than XPEL and initially beads water better. I believe the glossier claim was started by Suntek themselves as I can not tell the difference.

After extensive research on films and then finding the best installer, I decided on XPEL which is thicker. I have the installer PPF the entire vehicle as well as XPEL window tint. This is followed by Ceramic and the paint still looks fabulous. After a few washes I just do a quick spray of XPEL Ceramic Boost and the vehicles look great and repels water quite quickly.

I choose to do full PPF due to where we live. Our winter home in Coastal Georgia has a long driveway (1/3 mile) which is packed sand. Although I drive ~ 6 mph, I still want the full protection the full PPF offers. Our summer home in Coastal Maine also has a long driveway, but that one is moss and pine needles which is less of a concern. I thought about paving both, but with Greyhounds that love running on the driveway and horses it is not something I want to do at this time.

I fully understand the cost factor as the last vehicle cost close to $6K, but for me I definitely think the expense of full PPF is worth it and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have full Xpel and it's been on the car for over two years. It's been great. My son's car has something else only on the front and someone has already keyed his car, he has only had if a few weeks. That film didn't fare so well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have you guys seen the YouTube video where a guy puts XPEL on a car hood then drags it along the highway for several miles, the side without XPEL was scratched to hell but the side that was protected actually didn’t come out too bad considering what it went through. Pretty much sold me on XPEL…

that said, I would never do partial protection because I feel inevitably the unprotected paint will weather differently from the protected one and then when removed it may be somewhat obvious which part was PPFed. I’d rather keep it all consistent.

even then, I’d only stick to satin PPF to avoid the inevitable orange peel effect that comes with clear films.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Assuming by perforation and cheese reference you’re talking holes…that is crazy. I’ve used both brands for 9 years on several cars and have yet to experience a hole. But rather have a hole I guess than a big ding in exposed paint. Down the road can just replace the film. I did have a warranty issue with xpel two years ago but they came to the table and didn’t argue. The warranty isn’t against rock chips it’s more against issues with the film, which again I did experience.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm pretty sure I will put on a wrap since I won't have too many color choices when I start shopping. The wrap will protect the paint somewhat. I've been debating putting a clear film on my black C7(partial covering was about 3K and full coverage over 5-6K), I decided against it as I heard many people say they tear amd I'm afraid the lines from paint to film shows a demarcation line. Right now I just spray some paint in the cap and paint each chip with a tiny brush.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'm pretty sure I will put on a wrap since I won't have too many color choices when I start shopping. The wrap will protect the paint somewhat. I've been debating putting a clear film on my black C7(partial covering was about 3K and full coverage over 5-6K), I decided against it as I heard many people say they tear amd I'm afraid the lines from paint to film shows a demarcation line. Right now I just spray some paint in the cap and paint each chip with a tiny brush.
That’s why I am not getting a cool skittle color. I love Grigio Lynx and the fact that it won’t show dirty edges locked up the decision.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that said, I would never do partial protection because I feel inevitably the unprotected paint will weather differently from the protected one and then when removed it may be somewhat obvious which part was PPFed. I’d rather keep it all consistent.
Each of us has to do what makes sense in our world. Regarding the car getting weathered differently that is debatable. Firstly, my cars don't get weathered differently, that is, I pull my car out of the garage drive it around then back into the garage they go but I do drive them presently my EVO has ~1100 miles on the clock. Secondly, I have had 6 Sports cars in 4 years getting weathered is not a real factor for me but boredom is.

One other thing regarding perforations: on my 2RS I had full coverage and then in front of the rear wheel well I had a second layer placed because with Porsches catch hell in those areas. Now the rest of the story, I took a rock hit on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel well that perforated BOTH layers in the first 2 thousand miles. To be clear, I NEVER track, and I drive on nicely paved roads. Though, I do drive fast but never furious. :giggle:

·
Registered
155 Posts
That’s why I am not getting a cool skittle color. I love Grigio Lynx and the fact that it won’t show dirty edges locked up the decision.
I wanted gray at first but the only car in my budget with red seats was black. Finally after seeing a few gray C7 I love my black car more. Sure it takes more washing but it's beautiful when it's clean. The factory paint color I like best in the Huracan is orange but so few of them. Gray H are cool but those are rare too. If I'm stuck with colors I don't like, a green, yellow or red it's an automatic wrap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My son's car has something else only on the front and someone has already keyed his car, he has only had if a few weeks. That film didn't fare so well.
I am sorry to hear this.

My faith in humanity diminishes with every passing day.

My wife’s pedestrian BMW got keyed and she was parking well away from all other vehicles. Now she is afraid to drive anything nice. I will buy her any vehicle she wants but I think she would be more comfortable in a Dodge Dart or AMC Pacer.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Most people claim Suntek is superior than Xpel but good to read an actual review for an owner instead of a shop pushing one brand.

And Xpel is coming out with PPF infused with ceramic and the film clarity is much better.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I chose full PPF on current EVO only because it’s matt paint. All of my other cars have front end PPF. I do a weekly rally (aggressive country drives) with a group of friends, the PPF has saved my bacon a few times. My Porsche got hit last weekend from the spray of the car ahead of me and the PPF saved a significant direct hit which would have gone to bare metal. But now I have to replace the PPF on the hood, but probably better than painting …

Reactions: Rcasa20 and Cadster

·
Registered
81 Posts
In AZ PPF is a must on the front end at least. I have always used Suntek Ultra without any issues. The cost initially caused me to pass but I learned my lesson less than a month into my ownership. Driving on the highway a truck pulling a trailer decided not to exit and crossed from the off ramp back onto the highway. This sprayed rocks all over my pristine Gallardo, dozens of rock chips. I was not comfortable driving without protection after that. PPF is small price to pay for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Assuming by perforation and cheese reference you’re talking holes…that is crazy.
I guess your one of those people that has to get a warning "Joke Alert" so you don't take things too literally. :ROFLMAO: Though, the fact is that I did get multiple perforations on all my Sports Cars with Suntek Ultra. Also be advised, I don't drive my car around the block then pull it back in the garage and cover them up..............I drive them or what's the point. The intent, the thrust, of this thread was to highlight that Suntek Ultra has poor barrier properties and people need to know that. Now if there are drivers that rarely drive their sports cars or put a few hundred miles a year Suntek will be fine, heck no PPF would probably work but, as I have said, I drive my cars and I expect, no, I demand that the products I lay out good money for perform. Ergo, XPEL next round end of story.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts