Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lambo owners!
I have my (lusting) eye on a 2018 perf - my problem though, thankfully (and gratefully!) is not financial. The 850 hp beast is VF engineering superrcharged, currently on sale out of state, and so it will not pass CA emissions. I live in Orange County. Does anyone know a friend of a friend who can smog it in So Cal? I'd love to join this discussion board as a player, not spectator, thanks for your advice/insight/wisdom.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Not likely
My suggestion is to research Montana llc laws and register there
California emissions will be difficult

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much, topcarbon. That's what the dealer suggested. I'd be a suspect on the roads, though, So Cal police and the public (where I am) are keen to this. But I'll continue to explore. Likely not worth it... I've got to come to peace with 'likely'.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,011 Posts
The wife and I lived in San Francisco for 4 years and loved it in the early eighties but we would never go back to CA to restrictive and likely to become more so in the not too distant future. Good luck with the hunt!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on the Montana LLC process Top mentioned There are no shortage of warning threads about states cracking down. A quick search on the Google immediately inundates with advertisements, information, and misinformation about the topic with limited specifics. Ultimately I would like the car titled here to avoid any challenging conversations when the inevitable confrontation with a law enforcement about why the vehicle isn't registered here when I have a local address and driver's license. Illinois law states you have 20 days from date of purchase to register.

Exerpt from one article... perhaps relevant to our californian OP...

"Tips to California’s CHEATERS (Californians Help Eliminate All The Evasive Registration Scofflaws) program brought in $3.2 million over a two-year period. The California Highway Patrol estimates that the state is “losing $10 million a year in revenue from drivers who fail to properly register their vehicles.”
The moral
If you live in a state with a sales tax, it’s against the law to avoid paying sales or use tax on taxable goods that will be consumed, used, or stored in your home state. And yes, that generally includes RVs that will spend much of their time on the road and parked in campgrounds in other states."

While I don't agree with the moral above, as if you can own it on your private property without registering at all, how can it be illegal to register it in Montana? Where the line is crossed is when your are driving it on public roads in your state that are regulated. Nevada has enacted a law that sales tax on vehicles will be increased by 50% if you are found to not have registered your vehicle in a certain period of time. So what happens when you get pulled over 4 months apart and they assume you guilty of tax evasion and send you a fine? Hire an attorney and spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to defend yourself on the legality of your scheme? And even if you're an attorney, what is the opportunity cost of your time?

I, too, am trying to find a way to avoid paying sales tax and am having a conversation with a Montana attorney tomorrow. Ultimately I do want the car registered in my state (Illinois) without having to pay $40,000 in taxes to the state for the privilege. Private vehicle sales in Illinois are only taxed at $1,500, so a number of strategies seem to present themselves. (Find a friend in Montana to actually purchase and register the vehicle, with my funds, then sell it to me after a period of time, among other strategies). Challenges include gift taxes, as now we're potentially dealing with the IRS and my state coming after me.

I'm not a risk averse person, just wanting to make sure the strategy is sound before blindly jumping in. All thoughtful responses welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again for all of your insights... moving out of CA not worth it.. believe me - I've looked. Opportunity costs of staying/making my income (I'm in a service industry, customer base all local) and paying the associated tax loss vs leaving and starting 'over' are not in my favor. Alas, the sunshine tax wins the battle this time!

After much soul searching ; ) I'm ok with living with a perf without a supercharger. My wife and kids will prob rest better at night, and not to be glib, but I'll risk it - think of all the potential medical bills I'd save on ...

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,826 Posts
thanks again for all of your insights... moving out of CA not worth it.. believe me - I've looked. Opportunity costs of staying/making my income (I'm in a service industry, customer base all local) and paying the associated tax loss vs leaving and starting 'over' are not in my favor. Alas, the sunshine tax wins the battle this time!

After much soul searching ; ) I'm ok with living with a perf without a supercharger. My wife and kids will prob rest better at night, and not to be glib, but I'll risk it - think of all the potential medical bills I'd save on ...
A SC would be fun but I don't know what I would do with it. I have a hard time now finding the right place to let it rip and unless I'm going to take it to the drag strip, which I am not because we don't have one, it would all be for not.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
The world seems to have lost its sanity. Insurance for a company doesn't actually operate anything and has exactly one asset that is already insured. Not saying it isn't required. Attorney's have great imaginations and will come up with rationale as to why it's needed, and perhaps Montana politicians, even with their favorable tax policy, have come up with insurance requirements to support their lobbyists. At any rate, I'll report back what I find as well. Perhaps we can get to the bottom of this and the sasquatch mysteries

Reactions: jasonz9238

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
How exactly is the VF s/c kit affecting emissions? That car retails stock cats in the headers so it shouldn’t have any extra pollutant levels. Does CA emissions care about modified “intake” systems too? Perhaps that’s why?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,011 Posts
California is a tough not to crack but agree with Russ these cars are lightning fast already. Though, @GDF, suggestion to call VFE seems appropriate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm curious about this too. Not seeing how a supercharger would affect emissions as long as cats stay in tact---

Plenty of forced induction cars on the road in CA. Hellcats abound with their superchargers from the factory---

How exactly is the VF s/c kit affecting emissions? That car retails stock cats in the headers so it shouldn’t have any extra pollutant levels. Does CA emissions care about modified “intake” systems too? Perhaps that’s why?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts