Lamborghini Talk banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo, E-gear, VFF-105, Rev Hed Cat delete, Carbon.
27 Posts
Roll back 30 years and the selection to choose from was the Countach, Jalpa or LM. None of these offerings were any less Lamborghini than the other and certainly none reflected a wealth driven choice. I think for many the choice of model may be influenced just as much by use, purpose and aesthetics as it is by cost. When the Gallardo was in production the V12 offering was the Murcelago. I cannot afford either today, but if I could and money was no issue I would go for the Gallardo simply out of looks. Saying that, if money was no object I would still buy a Countach (not the new model) even though it’s slower, less reliable and arguably not as well made as later types- in my eyes it’s the last quintessential pure bred Lamborghini pantomime horse.
O leary?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hmmm 500 vs 700 hp? A touch more than 50.

Gallardo’s will forever have a soft spot in my heart. They were SO wild when they came out I never thought I’d be able to afford one.

And most importantly, I found out that I could also give the middle finger to Ferrari and all their uppidiness.

Here is my G on delivery date!! My girlfriend wasn’t bad looking either back in the day! (If I don’t say so myself:LOL:)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don’t think there’s such a thing as a poor persons lambo. With that said even if I fit in the G or H, which I don’t… I wouldn’t buy one… Imagine every time you picked up a hot date in your “Lamborghini” and you have to explain why the doors open like a Chevy… lol
Wow! And you think "hot dates" would even care between scissor doors and normal doors? It's OBVIOUS you don't own a Lambo - I mean its a Lambo!!!!!

Hey Mate, I own a Gallardo also in Aus... Have you seen the price lately!! steadily on the up (y)
Yeah, I saw the cheapest one on carsales (in black) lasted less than 24 hours for $A188,000! But then, can you name me ANY Lambo that isn't going up ATM.
When I got my AV, it was decision time whether to sell my 2004 yellow G that is in "perfect" condition. Well, back then, I could have gotten $A150,000 cash and earn nothing (almost) in the bank or I could keep it. To me, money in the bank or shares is not as good an investment in a Gallardo ATM.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do not know about others, but I tend to keep cars forever! I am the original owner of a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo and a 2006 Gallardo. The Z is a classic and the Gallardo will be a collectable in a few more years. That said I like the Gallardo's lines which make it unique among exotics. 300 Z's Rock!
Yes the Z, specifically Z32, ROCKS! When I got my F430, it made me appreciate what the Z offered even more. I just recently picked up an 2008 LP640 and I still like the interior on my 91 white TT more. I have the Z for 26 years and never get tired of driving or looking at it :) Never getting rid of any of my cars either. Now if the LP640 hits a million...maybe.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,888 Posts
This thread is borderline comical. You are all making my point: does anybody at all question that a Gallardo is a junior Lamborghini to a senior 12 cylinder Lamborghini? No. Does anyone get riled up about the ownership of a Gallardo (or Jalpa, Huracan) being a proxy to one’s income or wealth as in “a poor man’s” moniker? Yup. Why? Because it is a poor word choice, subjective, quite often incorrect, and an unnecessary comparison when talking about owners of this brand of exotic automobile. 🏎

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan Rosso Mars Metallic STO
16,435 Posts
This is probably the only post in this entire thread (possibly even forum) that is verifiable 100% fact!!!
Thank you sir!!
I had no idea that an "asshole" had directionality, live and learn. I love this forum it's replete with so many insightful posts by our ever so kind members.

• Haha
Reactions: REKIII

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Hmm? Seems no one has an answer to this? (Especially the OP?)
It's an interesting question. There are many cases where I THINK the value of certain vehicles is something but I'm way off because I don't know the market, but for makes/models I've spent a lot of time researching for sale, I can't disassociate the values I've seen over many years to answer it fairly. For me a good example is the more vintage (1970's) 911's. Was never a Porsche guy and have been quite surprised recently to learn what those old 911's are worth. For the longest time seeing them on the road I just assumed they were driven by some broke guy that couldn't afford a newer one.

To the average person or mild car enthusiast they likely associate newness with value too. Because of the rarity of Ferrari/Lamborghini/Mclaren they also probably don't know every model and which years they come from and because these vehicles are so often very well cared for and look clean/shiney/new, people think the vehicles are new and cost what a new one costs (or what they think a new "Lambo" costs from what they've seen on Instagram or some crap).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
View attachment 316681
That was mine for many years, forever in my mind!
Wow! Nice. My 3000gt still pulls hard and rides on rails. It was the bomb when it was first released in 91/92. The reactions I got back then is similar to what I get driving my Murci today. Styling queues are classic. I’m surprised current values haven’t gone up as much as other early 90s sports cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would assume that a Rolls Ghost or Wraith will make you look richer than a Gallardo, and for the layman perhaps a red 360 as it has the classical Ferrari look (and the badge).
(at least in Europe where Rolls seem to be half the price compared to the US:
)

Wow! Nice. My 3000gt still pulls hard and rides on rails. It was the bomb when it was first released in 91/92. The reactions I got back then is similar to what I get driving my Murci today. Styling queues are classic. I’m surprised current values haven’t gone up as much as other early 90s sports cars.
Yes, but regarding values, this a very complex car with many things to go wrong, with back and …front active aero, 3 spark plugs challenging to access, even different r/l wheels, and many other things… for the OP, a Gallardo looks probably more rich :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
First car out of college. Trying to sell it, but I’m reluctant to sell it. It’s in mint condition. Only thing that went wrong was a bad ECU and a master clutch cylinder. Easy fixes. Otherwise, doors close with one finger tip and interior still smells of showroom leather.
I know how hard it is to even think about selling a sentimental first car like that.
(I might be interested in buying it, though, if you get over the emotional hurdle one day.)

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Since you are calling me out here (for good reason) I'll nonanswer it again, like I did the last time. The question has no relevance to this thread topic, so my opinion in the matter is equally, not of relevance.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,347 Posts
I own a Jalpa.

That model has been the "poor man's" Lamborghini for decades. I have had my car a long time, so I am very aware of the "entry level Lamborghini" vibe.

You don't get invited to all the car parties. Crowds don't gather around your car at coffee. People are impressed that you have a Lamborghini until you tell them the model. You get asked why you spent your hard earned money on "one of those". You get asked why you don't just part it out when it breaks down. Shops don't want to work on it because they don't think you can afford the repair bill. Tuners tell you to modify it so it will "actually go fast". When you want to restore it, people ask why. You constantly hear "If I was going to buy an '80s Lamborghini, I would have bought a Countach!". In a discussion about the cheapest Lamborghini, the participants forget your car even exists.

You ostentatious rich guys with your Gallardos......
Best post of the thread. This puts everything into perspective. People act like the G was the first one to do this. The Jalpa boys have been playing this games since we were kids. Thanks for this post.

Reactions: Ohlgren

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This thread is borderline comical. You are all making my point: does anybody at all question that a Gallardo is a junior Lamborghini to a senior 12 cylinder Lamborghini? No. Does anyone get riled up about the ownership of a Gallardo (or Jalpa, Huracan) being a proxy to one’s income or wealth as in “a poor man’s” moniker? Yup. Why? Because it is a poor word choice, subjective, quite often incorrect, and an unnecessary comparison when talking about owners of this brand of exotic automobile. 🏎
I think this thread differentiates between car guys and "car guy$", or those who by a car based on income(or evidence of wealth) not passion(love for all things mechanical). Just say'n.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts