Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to start a thread like this for some time, it is a sensitive subject but I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Gallardo owners get REALLY sensitive when I call the Gallardo, the Poor Person Lamborghini.

Why is that? Granted, I'm purposely being derogatory, but it is the truth. The G is by far, the least expensive Lambo to acquire and own. Doesn't make it a bad car, it doesn't make owning one less of a feat.

I kind of look at it like making fun of Bald people. I'm bald, so I get a pass right? I own a Gallardo, and I'm too poor to own anything nicer so...I get a pass? I really think people need to be less serious about these things.

What do you all think? Also, for the non Gallardo owners, be 100% honest with yourself....do you look down on us G owners? It is 100% OK if you do, I'm just curious. I can see it when I talk to other Lambo owners with H's or Murcis. They are almost like, OK you can be in this conversation because you have a Lamborghini, but JUST barely.

·
Premium Member
2022 H EVO RWD Grigio Lynx
2,467 Posts
I've been wanting to start a thread like this for some time, it is a sensitive subject but I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Gallardo owners get REALLY sensitive when I call the Gallardo, the Poor Person Lamborghini.

Why is that? Granted, I'm purposely being derogatory, but it is the truth. The G is by far, the least expensive Lambo to acquire and own. Doesn't make it a bad car, it doesn't make owning one less of a feat.

I kind of look at it like making fun of Bald people. I'm bald, so I get a pass right? I own a Gallardo, and I'm too poor to own anything nicer so...I get a pass? I really think people need to be less serious about these things.

What do you all think? Also, for the non Gallardo owners, be 100% honest with yourself....do you look down on us G owners? It is 100% OK if you do, I'm just curious. I can see it when I talk to other Lambo owners with H's or Murcis. They are almost like, OK you can be in this conversation because you have a Lamborghini, but JUST barely.
Along these lines I found it interesting that when the C7 Z06 came out, many of those owners put their nose up at me at car shows because I owned, heaven forbid, a C7 Stingray. It was shocking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm totally kidding. I had a G from 2018 - 2021. It was a really fun car, BUT it was really starting to show it's age technology wise. Here in South Florida it felt like just another used car 😂. It is kind of stuck in that no mans land between not being modern and not being vintage. Due to prices right now, it is still the most affordable Lambo. Nothing to be ashamed of, it's still a cool car that 99.3% of the population will never own. I'll never regret owning one. I often get tempted to buy another one.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Cloud

·
Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
16,515 Posts
That's a pretty funny perspective. Never owned gallardo but I would never think it as a "Peasant" Lamborghini, though, one thing, if you ever swing by my house can you use the rear entrance. :ROFLMAO:
Seriously, I think the Gallardo looks pretty cool but I have never driven one.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

Being rich and poor (financial wise) and material possessions do not determine one's intelligence or values. Feeling superior or inferior from material possession is only human's wrong perception of what determines success. There are lots of smart people out there that are financially poor or just do not like to drive expensive cars. Being rich with many nice things only means that we are blessed by God. It means we should be humble and shouldn't forget about others. That is all.

Having said the above, my 580 is superior than Albert's @Lambo2018 EVO and STO combined.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rosso Mars Huracan STO
16,515 Posts
Having said the above, my 580 is superior than Albert's @Lambo2018 EVO and STO combined.
Norman, you make a compelling case, would you be will to make an even trade? The old two for one deal. :giggle:

Reactions: Sakura

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
When the Gallardo came out it was a whole lot of money, now getting close to 20 years old with depreciation of course it costs a lot less. Just wait when the Huracan reaches it's 20th anniversary, it will be the outdated poor man's Lambo too. Kids will want those shiny new electric lambo that make no noise that plugs in like a toaster, doesn't even have paddle shifters, they'll watch you tube in the center console and with a vocal command the car will go on auto pilot. They'll say what do you mean they had to drive it, how? :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Speaking as an original dumpster diver (grew up very poor)… a few years ago, prior to purchasing my Murci, when I or my relatives spotted a Gallardo, I would say “it’s a poor man’s lambo”, but then explained how cool the car was and that it cost between $100k and $150k.

I think the politically correct phrase to use is “it’s an entry level lambo”

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I absolutely love my G but I do find myself explaining the lack of scissor doors (to non-car people) is because "only V12 have Lambo doors". It's not a big deal to me since I'm planning on adding a Murci or Aventador soon but I don't want to ruin the magic of a Lamborghini experience to someone who's expecting doors that go up haha. To car people I explain that it's a Final Edition that is loaded with all the carbon fiber options and one that Valentino Balboni himself told me, "You have a very beautiful car".

I think at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you like your car. Sure, having street cred is neat but if you only derive your own enjoyment from the feelings and thoughts of others, then you're just acting to satisfy everyone but yourself. I enjoy my car and couldn't care less if it's not the latest or greatest. It's my Lamborghini and it's a damn good one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
The average American can't put food on the table due to high gas prices and the well off people, think they are poor as they own a base model Lamborghini!
The cheapest Lambo will still run you around $70,000 which is ALOT of money. Now my 190SL is considered the poor man's gullwing. I was put into place when I said to a friend that my 300 ZX TT was a poor man's exotic. Her response was "300ZX twin turbo's were never a poor man's car!".

Poor is when you can't trust your car to get you from point A to point B. If you own a Lamborghini you are not poor.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Poor” and “Lambo” don’t belong in the same sentence, although I get what the OP is saying.

Been guilty of having described the Gallardo as a “Baby” Lambo , especially to those that aren’t very car savvy… Regular opening doors, V10 and not a V12… etc

All the while describing the “Big Bull” as the bigger V12 brother , scissor doors… etc

Super blessed to be fortunate to own both. Love them all

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The average American can't put food on the table due to high gas prices and the well off people, think they are poor as they own a base model Lamborghini!
The cheapest Lambo will still run you around $70,000 which is ALOT of money. Now my 190SL is considered the poor man's gullwing. I was put into place when I said to a friend that my 300 ZX TT was a poor man's exotic. Her response was "300ZX twin turbo's were never a poor man's car!".

Poor is when you can't trust your car to get you from point A to point B. If you own a Lamborghini you are not poor.
Poor is when you KNOW your car can’t get you from point A to point B. Been there, done that 😎

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think its all about perspective. I believe that most Gallardo owners today, and I include myself in this, tend to be more of car guys in general who like to tinker on their own and do alot of maintenance work themselves. Me personally I jump all over the place in terms of what I want. I was actually going to get a Cayman GT4 prior to my G purchase but then fell in love with the V10. Sure I want a Huracan, and in all likelyhood will probably get one at some point, but I am just as likely to grab a Ferrari 348 TS because I can get a gated one, and for me thats just as special as a newer Huracan. My DD is a 2006 Porsche 997 C4. Its not perfect, has rock chips in the paint, rattles over bumps, etc., but its a blast to drive, is a stick shift all wheel drive and a convertible which ticked off all my boxes and does it for me. My other issue is I fall in love with my cars and cant let go. Ill probably never sell my P or my G but I will add to the line up and will keep whatever that ends up being as well. For me its not about what other people think or say, its about the driving experience, the ownership experience, and the joy my cars bring me.

·
Registered
2013 Gallardo - Final Edition
224 Posts
I own one and I could own a more expensive one if I wanted to but as of right now I am happy with it. I don't really think Lamborghini and poor go together at all. Just take a look at how many you see on the streets on a daily basis (even tho, according to you, they are so affordable and they are the poor people's car), chances are almost never see one, why? Because they are expensive. You could buy at least 5 (or more) regular affordable daily cars with what an used G costs.

Now, if you can only afford a Gallardo and you are talking to a guy that has 10 Lambos in his garage, then yes, you could be his butler and yes, you are the poor guy. But, at the same time, that guy could be Jeff Bezos' maid if you know what I mean. It's all in the perspective. If you are the Gallardo owner and you are talking to a person that is on food stamps then I highly doubt it that he/she will call you poor. Again, it's all about the perspective.

At the end of the day, I bought my car because I love it and I like to enjoy it, I don't give a crap about what other people think about me and/or the car.... but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,270 Posts
I love Gallardos, never gave it another thought.

Reactions: Xpander and Ripper

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I own a Jalpa.

That model has been the "poor man's" Lamborghini for decades. I have had my car a long time, so I am very aware of the "entry level Lamborghini" vibe.

You don't get invited to all the car parties. Crowds don't gather around your car at coffee. People are impressed that you have a Lamborghini until you tell them the model. You get asked why you spent your hard earned money on "one of those". You get asked why you don't just part it out when it breaks down. Shops don't want to work on it because they don't think you can afford the repair bill. Tuners tell you to modify it so it will "actually go fast". When you want to restore it, people ask why. You constantly hear "If I was going to buy an '80s Lamborghini, I would have bought a Countach!". In a discussion about the cheapest Lamborghini, the participants forget your car even exists.

You ostentatious rich guys with your Gallardos......

1 - 20 of 107 Posts