Lamborghini Talk banner

CCB versus steel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that several have converted their brakes from carbon ceramic to steel. Is there a good market to sell the CCB pads and disks as long as they are in great shape with low miles? What kind of price might they bring? If I could sell my CCB and change to steel with a good profit left over, I might consider. I know some will say to keep the CCB with the car, but I do not see that they bring any real premium, and people complain they are grabby for normal driving.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not sure the market on the used CCBs. The one big advantage is no brake dust. It makes cleaning the wheels a dream. I hated the CCB's at first but now I am very used to them and can switch between my other cars and the Lambo with zero braking issues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure the market on the used CCBs. The one big advantage is no brake dust. It makes cleaning the wheels a dream. I hated the CCB's at first but now I am very used to them and can switch between my other cars and the Lambo with zero braking issues.
I definitely agree with brake dust. I never get my wheels on other cars completely clean, and the Gallardo wheels look great. My thoughts are sporty street and track driving where I hear the wear rate on CCB is high. Also, I hear the steel brakes are less grabby in street driving. If someone found themselves in the position of needing to replace CCB, would they go to steel or is there a market for used CCB like there is for used wheels.

The poll is meant to see if people really care about CCB over steel or vice versa.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Unless you track the car steel rotors are more than sufficient for the street. Your tires on the street are really the limiting factor for stopping distance. Steel rotors will apply more stopping friction than most tires can handle anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd keep your CCBs for sure. Having owned a steel brake pre-LP in the past, I will never buy an exotic car that doesn't have the CCB option again. The brake dust is atrocious with the steel rotors.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,637 Posts
I'd keep your CCBs for sure. Having owned a steel brake pre-LP in the past, I will never buy an exotic car that doesn't have the CCB option again. The brake dust is atrocious with the steel rotors.
I agree, CCB,s have spoiled me and never again would I go steel.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I specifically looked for a Superleggera with the CCB’s. Steel option was a do not buy point for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless you track the car steel rotors are more than sufficient for the street. Your tires on the street are really the limiting factor for stopping distance. Steel rotors will apply more stopping friction than most tires can handle anyway.
I think either are plenty sufficient on the street. The thing about tracking CCB is that they do wear out and are much more expensive to replace. In fact, many people I know that track convert CCB to steel just for the track. The CCB is for the street to reduce dust.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
CCB's are great for the street. No brake dust and will last for a long time if not tracking.

After having CCB's on 2 F-cars and 2 Lambo's, I'm spoiled. My GT3 had steel brakes and I didn't even bother washing the rims because they would be filthy after 1 drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are there any pads to help reduce brake dust? I know on some cars Powerstop pads are used to replace Brembos and the difference is amazing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive had 3 Gallardos with steel and one with CCBs....on an apples to apples comparison when buying, i would pay $5k more for a car with CCBs personally, even though I dont track mine. Between brake dust, stopping and just appearance, its worth it to me

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
"Carbon ceramics are known to last forever. ... But most fail to realize that some steel disc packages stop just as fast as the ceramics do. The only time where carbon ceramics begin to gain an advantage is after repeated heavy braking, and the heat from the friction begins to scrub performance from the steel brakes."

·
Registered
191 Posts
All things being equal, yes....however the Gallardo used different calipers on the CCB equipped cars and the braking feel is different between the two

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love the CCBs over steel, the dust is almost nothing. Had the H out on the track last week and while my buddies F430 experienced brake fade I had none and we were chasing each other the entire time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts