Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

So Ive been enjoying my jalpa for a while now, it seems i wa lucky enough to get a good one :D

But on my last drive , as soon as I set off , I heard a huge pop from the engine bay ,as the car cut out. When I rolled over to the side , and opened the bonnet i found that the belt that powers the alternator and the Distributor had snapped and bounced off the cover.

I managed to find another belt but i now have the problem of resetting the dizzy timing.

Ive read about having to jack the car up , and reset it using a timing light , but i was just curiouse if theres another way .I know that i might sound incredably lazy ,but I would hate to haft to remove those plugs again to turn the motor over to find the markings :(

I noticed some markings on the cam pulley ,and the dizzy pulley , but im not sure of these were factory , or put on by the last owner. (See Attached)

If my only option is to jack the car up and reset , could someone please talk me through it ?

As a side note ,i just wanted to say how grateful i am to the people on this forum. When I first got my car , every person who glanced at my car , tried to convince me that i was making a huge mistake and that i should just get a miata or some other sportscar , and that my jalpa was a huge money pit. But with the help of this forum , I have managed to get my car to the point where , whenever i feel like I need to clear my head , I can get into my lambo :D , and head to the hills for a ride. Ive been driving her every second day or so.:cool:

Thanks everyone for your time and help.
:wave::)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Well there is an easy way to do this and the best way to do this. You need to start by rolling the engine to Top Dead center. This is where the number 1 cylinder ( the rear cylinder passenger side closest to the rear corner of the car) reaches the highest point in the compression stroke (Actally the center of the highest point since the piston dwells at TDC a few degrees). There is a timing mark PMS you can see from under the car on the flywheel through a little view port in the housing. Make a pointer to mount to the front of the engine and mark a line on the balancer in white or yellow paint. (even white out works but later washes off)Model paint and a fine brush work very well just make sure to keep the line fine and mark it to where you can see from above with a timing light. Install the distributor with the pointer on the no 1 cylinder and snug enough to where you can turn a little.Buy a degree timing light that allows you to advance timing by simply dialing in a setting. Block off the vacuum retard and start the engine. I run mine at 7degrees but I had the vacuum retard removed and recurved my distributor. I cant remember the factory setting but look on jalpachat for the degrees or someone can chime in. Make sure to set the belt tension. Move the distributor with the engine running until the pointer lines up with the mark and your light is set to the prescribed degrees of advance. If you feel more adventurous, find top dead center with a dial indicator and mark it that way. I made a piston stop for no 1 to find EXACT TC. The mark underneath is a little ambiguous.If you want to pursue that let me know and I will give you the procedure. Once the timing is set she will run great> Lee PS The factory procedure is absolutely stupid so don't waste your time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well here is the "I am in the middle of nowhere" with no measuring tools way...take out the spark plug for cylinder 1 and put your thumb over the plug hole...you will feel the compression stroke as you cycle the motor on the starter (Coil primaries need to be disconnected).

After you are comfortable with the feel as the compression cycle starts...stop and put a pencil or chop stick in the plug hole and gently roll the car in gear until the chop stick no longer rises. This is TDC (more or less). Set the distributor to fire at plug # 1 . reconnect the distributor leads and start the motor.

Later you can fine tune the timing on the motor the traditional way :)

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul and Lee .:wave:
Thank you for the immediate reply :)

I've scheduled for my Dad to come round to my place this weekend , and help me sort out the timing. Thanks again for the instructions guys.;)

if its alright , i have one more question for you guys , Do you also happen to have a mark above the cam pulley ( See Attachments.) It seems to have been made there by the factory , and has the letters XB stamped out next to it . The only corresponding mark on the pulley , was a little white dot , presumably made with tippex.

Do you have the same markings on your cars ?
Any idea of what they mean , I'm assuming TDC , but I'm fairly new at this so better safe than sorry.
If it does mean TDC , couldn't i just align the markings , and position the distributor at 1 ? (Just a thought , Im still going to be following your instructions and do it the instructed ways )
Should I mark out TDC on the pulley , for future reference ?

Thanks again for the help and fast replies
Yash

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Note sure what the XB signifies...you should definitely mark the pulley for future reference. But make sure that you understand the rotation before you make the mark permanent with say white paint.

We always did this so that we would not have to go crazy when the belt broke.

By the way, I don't have a drive belt part number handy but keep in mind that the original wide (1") belt may no longer be manufactured so you are getting old stock of unknown durability:(

Paul

·
Registered
252 Posts
i heard mention than the ferrari 308 timing belt is the belt used for the dizzy? is that accurate? i need to rebuild my alternator over the winter and thought that i should replace that while its all apart.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Paul is right about the stick and finger . It will get you close. You still need a good mark to set timing from. Remove the starter and rotate the engine a few degrees at a time until the mark comes into the view. You will see it through the starter hole as well. Make a pointer even if it is coat hanger wire and mark the balancer. The marks on the cam pulley can move after cam chain adjustment. Someone just put them there for their own reference. The crank is the only accurate timing reference point. Spend the little time it takes to make the pointer and mark the balancer. You will be glad you did in the long run. I use mine ALL the time. Lee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ITS ALIVE !!! :bouncing:

With my Dads help ( Perfect bonding time;) ) we removed the plugs , and set her up right.
Thank you guys , I really appreciate it. And just as a side not the XB mark was exactly where TDC was. Atleast I know now.

And yes , I did get the belt from a ferrari dealer , I wasent sure exactly what it was for , but they happened to have one sitting around.

Thanks again guys :):wave:
Happy driving
Yash

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yash,

Is yours a very late model Jalpa, serial number higher than # 300 ?

It appears on-going changes were being made at the factory :)

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts