Lamborghini Talk banner

PLEASE HELP !GEARBOX MALFUNCTION AVENTADOR

740 15
I purchased a 2013 Lamborghini Aventador with 20,000 miles and I drove it for a couple weeks and had no problems then all of a sudden I pull up to a stop sign and the car says gearbox malfunction and jumps automatically into neutral I shut the car off and I鈥檓 not able to get it back into gear for at least 10 to 15 minutes. After many different diagnostic solutions (Lamborghini Las Vegas wanted me to buy a new transmission for $55,000 馃ぎ) I ended up finding out the battery had very low cold cranking amps and put a new battery in it and Voil脿 it was fixed. I proceeded to drive the car for about 1400 miles and then just this past weekend was driving it a little hard and slowed down to first gear same thing happens, gearbox malfunction pops up and it goes into neautral automatically and won鈥檛 go back into gear, although this time I was able to turn it off and turn it back on and get it to go back into gear right away. Any help is appreciated I do not want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars again trying to figure out the problem, if someone has had this problem before let me know how you fixed it PLEASE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
What was the fault codes? Need to know this before diagnosing anything.

Also in all cases, a battery voltage of min 12.5 V is a must or the low voltage can cause the gear problem. Hydraulic pump failure too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the fault codes? Need to know this before diagnosing anything.

Also in all cases, a battery voltage of min 12.5 V is a must or the low voltage can cause the gear problem. Hydraulic pump failure too.
Ok I am bringing to the shop today and willl let you know what codes popped up, is it out of the ordinary for the voltage to jump between 11.6-12.5 while driving? Maybe bad alternator?

Registered
Yep, that鈥檚 low voltage for sure. I bet what ever is failing (alternator, regulator, etc鈥) and hence your car鈥檚 battery isn鈥檛 charging causing this problem.

There are known transmission issues in some 2012鈥檚. I read that Lamborghini changed the design of the transmission on 2013+

Registered
I purchased a 2013 Lamborghini Aventador with 20,000 miles and I drove it for a couple weeks and had no problems then all of a sudden I pull up to a stop sign and the car says gearbox malfunction and jumps automatically into neutral I shut the car off and I鈥檓 not able to get it back into gear for at least 10 to 15 minutes. After many different diagnostic solutions (Lamborghini Las Vegas wanted me to buy a new transmission for $55,000 馃ぎ) I ended up finding out the battery had very low cold cranking amps and put a new battery in it and Voil脿 it was fixed. I proceeded to drive the car for about 1400 miles and then just this past weekend was driving it a little hard and slowed down to first gear same thing happens, gearbox malfunction pops up and it goes into neautral automatically and won鈥檛 go back into gear, although this time I was able to turn it off and turn it back on and get it to go back into gear right away. Any help is appreciated I do not want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars again trying to figure out the problem, if someone has had this problem before let me know how you fixed it PLEASE!
I had a similar issue...Ended up being a bad E-gear pump! Part# 470398199 (egear pump motor)

Reactions: bstich415

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar issue...Ended up being a bad E-gear pump! Part# 470398199 (egear pump motor)
Is this the same Pump you put on your 2014 Lamborghini Aventador LP700 ? Wow such a better price, i was thinking i would have to buy the entire E-Grear (which Lambo Las Vegas said they cant only fix one part but the whole System and i mind as well buy a whole new Transmission) This part alone cost around 17k, who did the install on your E-Gear Pump? Did this fix everything on your car??

Registered
A good alternator will put out over 14 volts.

Disclaimer, this is what I do on regular cars and I have no idea if doing that on a Lambo is a bad idea. An easy way to test if the alternator is working fine is to start the car then unplug one of battery terminals, if the engine stalls that means the alternator is bad as it cannot supply power to the system.

Registered
Luzifer is 100% correct. The DISCHRGED voltage of a 12V lead acid battery IS 12V. So more voltage is needed to keep the battery charged.

Regarding taking a battery lead off while running, there is what Lambo calls a super capacitor which might keep the car running.

Registered
Is this the same Pump you put on your 2014 Lamborghini Aventador LP700 ? Wow such a better price, i was thinking i would have to buy the entire E-Grear (which Lambo Las Vegas said they cant only fix one part but the whole System and i mind as well buy a whole new Transmission) This part alone cost around 17k, who did the install on your E-Gear Pump? Did this fix everything on your car??
Yes same pump....Lambo dealer removed the old one and tested the voltage to confirm it was bad before ordering new pump..easy removal and install....if your battery is tested good then try this..

Reactions: bstich415
1 - 16 of 16 Posts