Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

let me start out by introducing myself
My name is Yash , and I recently bought a very neglected Lamborghini Jalpa.
I'm unsure of what year the car is , but I can say that it does start and run.
I've recently had the car delivered to me and have started to got through the to do list for it.
Firstly the alternator doesn't work , and there seems to be a noise coming from the Weber carbs that are closest to the firewall. The old owner says that its probably because the floats are jammed , because the car has been sitting for around 5 years.

the bodywork is excellent , with no rust at all .

I would very much appreciate any and all info from anyone who has the slightest idea f where to start. For now my main priority is to get the alternator going ,and then to sort out the carbs , but any info that you feel might be beneficial to me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid of giving it to a mechanic , simply because I'm afraid that they would cause more harm than anything, and end up charging me a hefty bill for their trial and error. The car is extremely rare where I live (only 3 in the entire country ) and I cant seem to get hold of the other owners.

I do have some experience with working on cars , and feel I can handle whatever My Jalpa throws at me.

One last thing, when getting some pics to upload onto the forum , the bonnet hatch decided to refuse to open , so I couldn't get any pics of the engine. Does anyone have any Idea on how to get it to open ?

Thank You for your time
Best Wishes
Yash

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Awesome!

1) If you are certain the alternator is not charging, take it off and send to a shop for a test/rebuild. Its a fairly standard alternator with a toothed pulley that is specific to the Jalpa. I had mine rebuilt for about $150 IIRC.

2) Rear bonnet, I believe there is a pull mechanism hidden behind the carpet in the trunk, fish around for it.

3) Carb: what is the noise? I would assume they carbs need to be rebuilt, so if it were my Jalpa I would yank them and rebuild them, that was you konw that is out of the way. For a short term fix, I would put a flow-meter on that carb and see what its doing. Report back.

Is it a euro model?

·
Registered
252 Posts
alternator is easy like sledge said

for the carbs, id try to run a full tank of fuel first with the sea foam treatment, let it clear and clean out any varnish and sludge. obviously if you think the car is going to be damaged by running in its current state, then take the time to go straight to the carb rebuild. they are just somewhat of a pain to take off and subsequently rebuild and rebalance.

looking forward to seeing photos of another JALPA!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Do you have part manual yet? There are copies on ebay. There is no engine manual for the Jalpa, but you can get one for the Urraco and Silhouette here Lamborghini Manuals at Books4Cars.com

Check out Lamborghini Jalpa Home Page The site owner is a member here and if you register your car with him, you can get access to extra information useful to owners.

There is also a Jalpa rebuild being documented on Lambo Power that would be worth looking at.

Information is a bit tough to come by, but the little Jalpa community is very supportive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You

:) Thanks for the Quick replies guys

OK so I've decided to get the alternator rebuilt , Ive found an old mechanic who has a bit of Ferrari experience , hopefully he will know what to do with my alternator.

I'm going to buy a flow meter , but is there any specific one that you guys would recommend ?

Also , I would like to change the plugs , but the four closest to the firewall seem to be pretty difficult to get too. Is there a special tool that I can buy to get those plugs out ?

Also , what should I replace them with ? Is there a plug that works best with the Jalpa ?

Ive added a few of the good pics of my Jalpa. Shes a RHD car , so Im assuming shes a eurospec model. Ive also noticed that the steering wheel is a bit different to other jalpa's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It looks like you have the older style steering wheel.

The emblem on it has been added later. The style of the bull is from later cars.

I do not remember the exact time the wheel switched, but your car is probably 1984 or older. The one pictured in this reply is from a 1981. Another item that changed is the tail lights. Square or round? You can find the date of manufacture several places. Documentation, VIN, Manufacture plaques etc. If you can give us the year, we can be a bit more specific about help. For instance, in the later model cars, there is an access panel to the plugs near the fire wall. A square patch of cloth will pull away from Velcro and reveal a little panel. The panel comes off to give better access to the plugs. If you do not have that panel, it is extra tricky. Even with the panel, I drop a socket into the hole and follow it with a couple angle joints and use a short handle socket wrench.

People here can probably recommend a specific plug, but the sales guy at my local part store told me not to use a fancy modern plug. The fuel mixture is not as even as fuel injection and the Jalpa runs rich. He said to use an old style plug with a big spark area.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The plugs are difficult. Use a u joint or 2 and 2 extensions. That seems to work best.There are small plugs and large plugs. If you have the larger plugs you may need to grind down the outside of the socket to fit down the hole. I switched over to the smaller plugs after i finally got the big plugs out.Check all the old posts on this forum. There is a wealth of info in them. Check the compression on all the cylinders. These have pretty common problems with exhaust valves.I had one ready to break off. Adjust the cam tensioners. (Check my older posts) See if the carb is flowing gas. I would probably rebuild them since they have been sitting up for 5 years and full of varnish. Soak all the jets in Carb cleaner and clean the bodies completely. Check all the orfices and blow them out with air.Pierce manifolds has rebuild kits pretty cheap.They are pretty easy just take your time and follow instructions. Good luck and Welcome. Lee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1carnut. Thank you. :) . I was really worried about opening the hood .

Ive managed to find a reputable mechanic who has some experience with exotic cars. Im going to work with him as closely as possible to make sure that he doesent hurt my baby . He seems to knpw his stuff with Ferrari's , buts are ths two manufacturers alike to work on ? Or should I try to find a lambo specific mechanic?

My car has the square lights , so im also pretty sure its an early model.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
Can I lastly ask a quick question ?
Whats a really good jalpa worth these days ? Ive read that they go for anywhere from $20k to $40k , but seeing as only 400 or so , where ever made , whats one worth today ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's pretty common to see then listed for 100k these days. Not sure if they sell for that but guaranteed a nice drive would disappear in a day at 40k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts