Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this car is well serviced and in good shape. It has about 11,000 miles on it. At some point I’ll need a new clutch (E-Gear). How will I know when it needs to be replaced? Does it start acting funny? Or will it just strand me someone when it breaks?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With an E-Gear, you can have someone connect a Lambo computer and run a SNAP, which gives readouts that indicate the health of the clutch. We don't have that for the gated.

By the way, you really should have had that done as part of a pre-purchase inspection so you could factor clutch life into the negotiations. If the clutch is almost worn out, you'll be facing a $12-20K service bill as soon as you get the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
12-20k for clutch seems a bit off. You can spend less than 10k all day long. I have more miles than you and it runs fine. Unless you plan to put 10k miles in next few months, don’t sweat it

·
Registered
LP640
2,269 Posts
12-20k for clutch seems a bit off. You can spend less than 10k all day long. I have more miles than you and it runs fine. Unless you plan to put 10k miles in next few months, don’t sweat it
Really depends where the service is performed and what is performed with the engine out. Clutch/Flywheel assembly and throwout bearing are about $8k. Start throwing in "while you're in there" parts (hoses, exhaust, valve adjust, mounts, driveline bearings, filters, etc.) and the parts list can quickly hit $10k. Then there's labor.

·
Registered
LP640 Murci, Performante, Ariel Atom, Lotus Elise, Audi TTRS, a pair of Mustangs,etc.
33 Posts
I think this car is well serviced and in good shape. It has about 11,000 miles on it. At some point I’ll need a new clutch (E-Gear). How will I know when it needs to be replaced? Does it start acting funny? Or will it just strand me someone when it breaks?
Anyone with the factory LaRa scanner or an aftermarket Texa scanner can do a "snap" and estimate remaining clutch.

But clutches are something that you run to failure. Under normal use, it will start slipping and engaging at markedly higher RPM as it gets to end of life. You'll notice this happening before it gets too bad to drive.

That said, irregular use, like reversing up a hill, can kill a clutch in one go.

Additionally, the eGear hydraulics and sensors can be finicky and may fail without warning, stranding you.

·
Registered
LP640 Murci, Performante, Ariel Atom, Lotus Elise, Audi TTRS, a pair of Mustangs,etc.
33 Posts
Gaius, do you have a link on where to purchase these scanners? TIA!
Cheap? No.
You'll have to keep an eye on eBay. That's where I found my second hand Texa. A bunch of my menus are in Italian but the price was right....

You can try haggling with these guys for a proper LaRa:
They wanted way too much when I talked to them but it's been a few years. Maybe they'll do a Memorial Day special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts