Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any "side-by-side" comparisons of the performace of the MSD and Permatune units for the Jalpa?

I'm just getting ready to purchase a Permatune from Lonnie, and was just curious if anyone had a comparison of the two?

I know that the Permatune is almost double the cost of the MSD, but Lonnie has done a heck of job working with us in the past getting a unit that will work with the Jalpa. Its also nice to know that you can get an "Bosch" unit that has been gutted and replaced with the Permatune electronics. At least you have the look of OEM still.

Thanks!!

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Yes I did, I first had the permatune which I sold to Germany and have now the MSD 6 without tacho adapter working in my Jalpa.

I felt no difference between the two, perhaps it's also because my carbs are not well tuned.
The Unit of Lonnie has one huge advantage over the MSD, Crane etc. you plug it in and it works immediately. Whatever modelyear your Jalpa has, his box will work with the tacho since he produces an exact replacement of the Bosch unit.
This alone is worth the price when I remember back the hours I had to get the MSD running...

In a few weeks the carbs will be unmounted and overhouled and then synched with my famous Mercury :wave:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raymond,

I saw that picture of your mercury carb tuner. Where do all those hoses plug in at? From the picture of your Countach, it looks like they don't plug into the carburettors, but into the intake manifold?

I noticed that Miami Mellisa is selling theirs. I was thinking of buying it, if you think it would work on USA cars. I just know my Jalpa doesn't appear to have anyway to hook up the lines into the intake manifolds.

Mike

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Mike, the inlet manifold below the carbs have special low pressure connectors to attach the Mercury, every carbed car was balanced with such a mercury in the factory on the engine test bench.

Here you can see the connectors, closed with the black caps, your jalpa has them too, they are at the inside of the V.

If you can get it buy it, I paid about $800 for mine, my countach was the first, then is there another one and right afterwards a third and finally my Jalpa.
You can balance the carbs much better than with the normal gauge you put onto the carb.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Raymond,

Thanks for the picture clarifying that. One question, is there a nipple for each barrel on the carb? Or, does 1 carb only have one connection?

I'm confused as to how you can fine tune each barrel, if thier is only 1 nipple per carb.

I looked on my Jalpa, and I have only 1 nipple per carb, and there are vacuum lines with a "T" connector between each one.

Mike

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Of course there is one nipple per cylinder otherwise it would not make any sense...

The T-Lines have no effect because they have only low pressure but no airflow through them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts