Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around the forum and seeing some "disturbing" content where some guy said he will save $100k/year and buy an aventador in cash.
Thoughts like this seem dangerous.

In my opinion for any Lamborghini owner, you should have x10 the amount in net worth minimum to even think of buying this car.
For a Huracan that means a net worth of $2,500,000.

Anything under this amount (esp that guy who wants to save $100k/year) is being foolish. Maybe after 25 years he can buy one, not now.
Are people just way overspending? How much do owners here have in net worth or income?
According to my calculations, owning a Huracan requires $2.5M net worth and $500k/year consistent income in order to afford it safely. keywords...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been lurking around the forum and seeing some "disturbing" content where some guy said he will save $100k/year and buy an aventador in cash.

In my opinion for any Lamborghini owner, you should have x10 the amount in net worth minimum to even think of buying this car.

Anything under this amount (esp that guy who wants to save $100k/year) is being foolish. Maybe after 25 years he can buy one, not now.
Are people just way overspending? How much do owners here have in net worth or income?
According to my calculations, owning a Huracan requires $2.5M net worth and $500k/year consistent income in order to afford it safely. keywords...
Everyone’s situation is different and people can buy what they want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone’s situation is different and people can buy what they want.
Rationally speaking, I don't see a case where you can safely buy it under the numbers I mentioned. Safely is the keyword here.
$500k is around $250k/year after taxes here in Canada, so its not as much as you may think (esp when it comes to Lamborghini territory).

Saving $100k/yr for 5 years just to blow it on a Lambo seems like a very..... kiddish thing to say.
What are the financial profiles of people here like?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, everyone’s situation is different and people can buy what they want.

If you are 23 and single with 750k in your account and really want a huracan, you can get it.
Yeah, I guess I am thinking of the opportunity cost here. $250k on a Lambo, plus maintainence, gas, insurance that **** will end up costing you a lot of money 30 years down the line when your money spent on this Lambo could have made you mid 7 to 8 figures in investments.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I guess I am thinking of the opportunity cost here. $250k on a Lambo, plus maintainence, gas, insurance that **** will end up costing you a lot of money 30 years down the line when your money spent on this Lambo could have made you mid 7 to 8 figures in investments.
If we’re lucky, we’ll be alive for 80-90 years. If it makes you happy and you can do it, you should. You can always make money but you can’t go back in time to experience things that you missed out on.

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts

IMO, who cares……. You only live once and life can end in an instant. If someone buys a Huracan and lives paycheck to paycheck then oh well, I hope they enjoy it. It doesn’t effect me. Likewise if they buy one and can’t afford it.

No one has the right to judge how someone spends their own money….. Also, you’re really asking what the financial profiles of people are on this forum are like?? WTF…….

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Investment opportunity? Well I'm old AF and give Zero F's about investment opportunities. So there is that. Like @Arnilious said everybody is different. But if you have to think about how can I afford this, maybe you shouldn't. I spend more time thinking if I want to spend $1 for cheese on my burger(which I usually don't) than I spent buying my car. Although I did have to think Spyder or no?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
... You can always make money but you can’t go back in time to experience things that you missed out on.
This. I spent a fortune racing cars and looking back do I wish I would have invested instead. Absolutely NOT. Money is worthless unless you can enjoy it. So many great times racing cars. Racing is life, everything else is just waiting - Steve McQueen

And I know this thread is about buying a car and not racing but what do you want out of life? There is only one way out.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
@supercars_and_condos there is nothing wrong with the way you are thinking about finances… for you. But to take your perspective and monetary philosophy and spread it like fertilizer to judge the way other people view and spend money is problematic.

If someone is able to save $100 k a year, they’re probably makings least $400 k a year to begin with, and if they’re living with their parents and “only”making $300 k a year but want a huracan and are obviously motivated toward future financial success, it makes perfect sense to me to pull the trigger.

Particularly if she wants anew naturally aspirated V10 that might not exist in 2 years

·
Registered
114 Posts
I actually think there's a good argument to getting a Lamborghini as SOON as you can. I was very rational and waited a long time to accumulate money and waited a long time to buy my Lamborghini. I think in general as you get older you get less enthusiastic about things, and so maximizing present-tense joy is a good thing to optimize for. As long as you have skills it's not like earning power goes down.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree w/ most of the owners here. Take my case for example last month my kids were in a car w/ the grandparents to spend time w/ them for the whole month. I had a bad feeling in the depth of my stomach and started praying asking Dad to watch over my children. I had what you call a premonition of what's to come. I call it a vision of the car being totaled w/ them in it. Well fast forward to yesterday. I pick them up and 2 hours later that same car I saw my children in getting rear ended was completely destroyed and rear ended as how I saw it happen a month early. Moral of this is.... live your life to the fullest and trouble no one for his beliefs be of service to your people. You don't know when the last day will be on this earth. If you can enjoy a car that brings you a happy feeling of accomplishment while here go for it. Bottom line the most important things in life is not the fancy car, the big house or the diamond necklace.... it's your people. Enjoy w/ them who matter the most what you have been able to acquire while on earth.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I look at my exotics as a sunk cost. If your Lambo gets in an accident the resale value will tank. You should be able to walk away whole

I always say I can make more money but i cant buy more time

If i reflect back at all the expensive cars ive bought since i was 30 i have no regret and given the choice would do it all over again.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
You realize there are buyers in there 70s. Do you think they care about 30 years of compound interest when they already have enough. Additionally, tell me who is in a better situation. Someone who makes $500k and has expenses of $500k or someone who makes $150k and has expenses of $50k. I think the latter is in a better position to afford a payment and the maintenance you mention. There are a lot of variables you’re not taking into account.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think of everything in terms of “utils” - the economic measuring tool for happiness. If the car is going to provide more happiness for you than the payment invested elsewhere will, it’s a good decision to buy. It may not be the “financially sound” thing to do, but let’s be honest, a supercar rarely is. We have no way of knowing how much happiness a specific expense will cause for someone, so we cannot compare. We don’t know how secure someone’s job is, their happiness in their job, time horizon for enjoying life, etc.

There are many ways to look at it, but ultimately it is a personal decision. If one can comfortably afford it without any negative impact to their current lives, I see no issue.

I may be biased being 25 myself, but so be it.

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,673 Posts
Forget about $100k/year people buying Lambos, majority of Canadians (I assume you're from Canada?) who make the same amount of money are using mommy and daddy for a down payment and buying overpriced multi-million dollar homes in Vancouver and Toronto they can't really afford.

The entire economy right now is overheated and a deck of cards waiting to collapse with a lot of people over leveraged because of cheap money. Either they own cars they can't afford, too much money in risky investments be it stocks & crypto and overpriced homes they overpaid for and can't really afford.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well that was my entire point.

If you buy a Lamborghini well where do you live? A Lamborghini looks good in front of a 1.5-2M dollar home. If you just have $800k in the bank, no property and blow 250k on a Lambo, you are kinda not in a good position bringing your Lambo to your 1 bed condo thats 550 sq foot.

Isn't this correct?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The way I think of it is, there’s always time to make money, but there’s only one chance to be young and driving a Lamborghini.

I bought my R8 when I was only 23, my most expensive purchase ever. What I noticed was that the R8 was so fun it satisfied my craving for a sports car for over a decade, and allowed me to focus 100% on other things without being distracted. It seemed unwise at the time, but I turned out fine and have a house now too.

I’m now 34 and my net worth is roughly $1.25 million. Would it be higher if I didn’t get the R8? Sure maybe. But knowing what I know now I would hate to have waited all that time to now finally buy my first R8 “responsibly”. I much rather preferred getting the car first and then building myself up to become a person who could easily buy such a car without a second thought. And now that I’ve gotten there I’m extending a bit and buying another car that seems a little out of reach, but not really. If I lost $300k on my Huracan overnight, there’s still plenty of people with less money than me that are doing just fine, so I know I’ll be fine too. And most likely my Huracan won’t ever be a 100% loss, so my net worth will not change much anyway. Maybe in 10 years you’ll find me in another car worth over twice as much.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Well that was my entire point.

If you buy a Lamborghini well where do you live? A Lamborghini looks good in front of a 1.5-2M dollar home. If you just have $800k in the bank, no property and blow 250k on a Lambo, you are kinda not in a good position bringing your Lambo to your 1 bed condo thats 550 sq foot.

Isn't this correct?
If it wasn’t for my wife I’d live in a trailer with a Huracan, Aventador, and Urus sitting under the carport and be completely satisfied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The way I think of it is, there’s always time to make money, but there’s only one chance to be young and driving a Lamborghini.

I bought my R8 when I was only 23, my most expensive purchase ever. What I noticed was that the R8 was so fun it satisfied my craving for a sports car for over a decade, and allowed me to focus 100% on other things without being distracted. It seemed unwise at the time, but I turned out fine and have a house now too.

I’m now 34 and my net worth is roughly $1.25 million. Would it be higher if I didn’t get the R8? Sure maybe. But knowing what I know now I would hate to have waited all that time to now finally buy my first R8 “responsibly”. I much rather preferred getting the car first and then building myself up to become a person who could easily buy such a car without a second thought. And now that I’ve gotten there I’m extending a bit and buying another car that seems a little out of reach, but not really. If I lost $300k on my Huracan overnight, there’s still plenty of people with less money than me that are doing just fine, so I know I’ll be fine too. And most likely my Huracan won’t ever be a 100% loss, so my net worth will not change much anyway. Maybe in 10 years you’ll find me in another car worth over twice as much.
Did you own property? Buying a Lambo without property seems... eh

1 - 20 of 136 Posts