Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my Gallardo, I inquired today at the local paint and body shop that has a good reputation for painting brake calipers. I always see very high-end cars such as Bentleys Rolls-Royce Lamborghinis in their lot having similar modification work done. I was quoted about $1000 for high heat paint and clear and about $150 to have Lamborghini vinyl scripts made for each of the brake calipers so with tax I’m in for probably $1300. Does that sound like a reasonable price to those who have painted their brake calipers in the past?

I thought it had to be powder coated but they swear up and down their high heat paint done professionally and then the vinyl script and then the clearcoat on top will be fine and they’ve not had issues with it. Anyone had issues with theirs?

finally, they will do the calipers on the car and just tape up the rest of the car and brakes and this will save me having to remove the caliper then reinstall the calipers after painting and re-bleed the system. That is probably $1000 worth of work right there. Does all of this sound reasonable to anybody who has ever done this before?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Do you track the car and often have the brakes glowing red hot? Only powder coat can survive in that condition. The high heat paint will burn out. If you do not track the car, high heat paint is perfect!

The best painting method is to remove the calipers because it's impossible to do a 360 degree spray that way. When they are out, they can be painted freely 360 degree and cured in a proper curing room for best finish looking like a glass. If not by this method, you will still get a good finish, just not the best. Just depends on your preference.

The high heat paint -> vinyl script -> clearcoat is the correct method. I'm certain that you won't have problem with yours.

$1300 doesn't sound too bad since the previous paint need to be sanded out (it's pita). Just make sure that they live up to their reputation by prepping the surface extremely well and not skipping anything. The key is the preparation of the surface before painting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ya doesn't sound bad. Although id question them leaving the calipers on the car. Like mentioned before... Expect a not so perfect coat/finish. But I guess what you can "see" should turn out fine.

The problem with paint I've found, is that even with a good clear on... The texture is not as smooth as powder and can have little "micro pits" that can collect dirt/dust and it's near impossible to clean off. Depending on the colour you choose, it may or may not be very noticeable so might not a problem for you. I find tho that the painted ones might have to be refreshed every so often because of this problem (as well as just not being as durable as powder)

Also, 130 for stickers is a lot. EBay or Ali express can yield you the stickers for a few bucks. But I get it... They want to do it and clear after. But just know that's where you might be getting taken advantage of. They don't have to "make them". They are all over the interweb for next to nothing. If you want, find them and deliver the car to them in hand and ask to save a chunk. Your call!

I'm summary, the hierarchy is...

Powder always better than paint off car, better than paint on car better than spray paint in your garage lol.

I'd at least get a quote for powdercoat instead of just assume that Bentley people are happy with their job 2 years later. It will always look good leaving the shop. Doesn't mean squat tho. Powder wouldn't be all that much more for peace of mind. With any sort of body/paint work... In general you will get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
1300 USD to paint calipers is to expensive! the logo in vynil not more than 20 USD, paint maybe 200 USD that´s the right price in Europe

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Lamborghini dealer uses a in town powder coater and they do the following:

Remove calipers
Give to painter (PC'd with Lamborghini script decal and then cleared)
Reinstall
Bleed Brakes

All for $1200.

Reactions: Booth9999

·
Registered
163 Posts

Remove calipers
Reinstall
Bleed Brakes

All for $1200.
Hands down the best way. And cheaper!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your responses. Seems a bit of misinformation and/or varying opinions out there, so for everyone's sake here is what I turned over in my search in addition to what is written above:
1) calipers can be painted on the car or off. On means it won't be perfect in all the nooks and crannies of the actual caliper and parts but a very good paint guy can make this hardly noticeable. Find a good paint shop that has done many of these before and that takes the extra step to completely tape off and seal up the car for overspray. Depends on one's intention for the car - perfect or just cosmetic.
2) On the car also means you cannot powder coat, only paint.
2) Off the car involves removing the entire calipers, but you can then powder coat. This is because you must remove the calipers to take them all apart and get the rubber gaskets/grommets out as the powder coat process will destroy rubber. Once powder coated, they need to be reassembled and reinstalled and therefore new brake fluid and flush. This is more professional, longer lasting, much more detailed, but takes longer and incurs either wrench time or paid mechanics' time. It also involves disassembly, reassembly and rebleeding, all of which are opportunities to mess something up, over or under torque screws, etc. Not difficult, but more involved.
3) I called both of the local [high end Italian sports car brands] shops. High End Italian Dealer A told me they don't arrange this at all, they only just sell new colored calipers to install. New OEMs are very expensive, take time to ship, and you don't need a spare set of calipers lying around, do you? His answer was slightly tone-deaf: the head of Brand A's shop said he did not even know a local guy to recommend to me for painting or powder coating. I mentioned the shop I went to yesterday for my $1300 quote and he immediately chimed in they are their authorized Brand A body shop for paint correction and bumpers and immediately spoke very highly of them, so it was not that he could not find extra time or effort to have the calipers or car shipped to the painter, but that he would just assume sell you new parts. I called High End Italian Dealer B and they said they would remove, dissemble, send the parts out, then reassemble, then reinstall. Said he did many of these and readily gave me the name and number of his local painter guy. Of course, labor on the installation and removal was not cheap, let alone paint and script costs.
4) I called Dealer B's painter guy who said he can do them on-car or off-car and has done these for years and years for B. Has only had one single issue, and that was because brake fluid from a brake line was dripping on the caliper undetected and ate the paint. (reminder, brake fluid EATS paint so if you do this job yourself you must get the brake fluid fully removed from any paint it touches.) He absolutely swears high heat paint holds up perfectly well. Interestingly, he has done high heat paint and NOT powder coated calipers for all the Dealer B's cars for years. I am fairly certain these owners at least think they are powder coated and 'factory', and convinced from him and others that professional high heat paint, done right at least, won't later be a problem.
5) Scripts and logos. I heard from a number of sources that some are found on the internet but some, depending on car and wording, need to be made. No biggie, this is the cheapest part of the process.

At the end of the day it comes down to the fine detail on the paint and whether the car is intended to be a driveable car or a needs-to-be-perfect vehicle. I would also caution new buyers to look carefully at the calipers to ensure your own desired level of quality and detail is present, but otherwise don't sweat it if you need to budget for a color change later. As for me, I'm taking my G to the $1300 shop next week for the on-the-car high heat paint job after doing my due diligence. My Gallardo is a driver. My Diablo I'll leave alone as was from the factory. I'll include pics next week once done.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Remove calipers
Reinstall
Bleed Brakes

All for $1200.
Where are you located? My dealership quoted me $2800 for powder coating all my calipers. $1600 for labor and $1200 for parts.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,959 Posts
Great info, looking forward to seeing how they come out. Never knew they could be done on the car.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AZmodia,
Well there you go: 1600 to remove all the calipers, disassemble them, ship them out, reassemble them, reinstall, and re-bleed your brake system. It’s the paint guy who charges 1200 USD. So if anyone is inclined to do that work themselves they save 1600. I will report back next week with photos.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
That brake work is not for me, but that painting work sounds like a lot of fun. If I got the time, I would volunteer to do the work for a couple of hamburgers :D

Looking forward to your photos next week! I'm sure they will be awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts