Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard or easy is it to get this paint?

Need a front and rear bumper painted.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,896 Posts
My dealer painted the base rear piece where I attached a wing on mine. He had no problem getting a perfect match to that color here in Honolulu. It should be easy to find on the mainland. I was really surprised that it was so perfect because everyone was telling me that tri- colors are impossible to match, NOT TRUE. BTW the new name for Giallo Midas is Giallo Inti.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Russk

I don't know much about this whole paint thing but really looking to buy my own paint or what not then take it to a shop.

Not sure where to get it, how much to get or what to get.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,896 Posts
Thanks @Russk

I don't know much about this whole paint thing but really looking to buy my own paint or what not then take it to a shop.

Not sure where to get it, how much to get or what to get.
I can't help you there but I am sure someone in your area can recommend something. It was just a small little paint shop here that did mine. All he asked for was the paint code.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help you there but I am sure someone in your area can recommend something. It was just a small little paint shop here that did mine. All he asked for was the paint code.
Ah okay, gotcha. Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
NYC, I'd definitely just let your body shop order it. PPG sells it and they should be able to get it directly from them. It's also important to let them get it because if there are any defects in either of the 3 paints/coatings (say it's an old batch, etc) then they'd be responsible for it in case it cracks, hazes over, etc.

Also, they might not guarantee a paint match unless they source it themselves.

As far as the paint match, the larger the piece being painted and if it's it next to a painted metal panel... the more difficult it is to match (pearl paints are the most difficult). When painting on bumpers, they have to add what's known as a flex additive and that can cause slight differences in the paint too, not to mention if the rest of the painted metal panels have aged differently. However, a talented painter should be able to know how to slightly adjust everything so that color match is almost imperceptible.

I'm a bit OCD and also worked for a couple of years at the largest german factory authorized repair shop in the west coast (we had tons of PPG reps and the Auto Manufacturer come to us to post damage assessments and to test out new paints, etc), so I tend to be a bit more sensitive. Unless it's really bad (the match) you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks @InfiniteLoop ... on the "3 paints/coatings" ... what do you mean?

I'm in NYC.. I need an oem bumper painted.
Typically, the yellow paint consists of a base layer, a pearlescent layer/additive and a clear coat, so usually you have 3 separate coats to pull off that color.

Also that middle pearlescent layer can be sprayed more than once in order to achieve the correct darkness, so it could be sprayed 3-4 times before you even get to the clearcoat. Some places will also do the clearcoat, polish it, then do another clearcoat layer, etc. So in the end, you have can have numerous layers to achieve one color.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh fun fact, since the Gallardos are pretty much hand painted (compared to say a mass-produced Toyota Corolla) and the panels are painted first, then transferred to the car, so rather than a regular car where it's painted on the chassis, the painted panels are married to the chassis during the build AFTER they've been painted. This does mean that you can have different paint thickness per panel.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Abushi

And

Martino auto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts