Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question -- When I bought the Orange Diablo, its L check engine light was always solid. The dealer agreed to pay for the resolution of it after I took delivery of the car.

Finally took the time to read the one ODBII code in there, it is P1303 - and according to lamboweb.com that means "Generic Misfire (on 1/6 2nd stragegy)".

So, what the heck is that and how do I fix it? :)

Thanks!

-Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a search and couldnt find any reference to "P1303" or "misfire". Any idea how to find that old thread?

-Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remmeber those threads from participating in them. Nothing to do with code P1303. I also have no problems either. The car runs great, super fast, gas mileage is normal, etc... Just have this engine code P1303. :)

-Ben

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ben, P1303 is a general catch all signal for mis-fires on cylinders 1-6. The manual says "Generic Misfire (on 1/6 2nd strategy)". I'm not sure what the "2nd stratagy" means. There are many things that can give you this. Solving it will depent on how much you want to put into the effort. You may wish to drop it off at a lambo shop and have them computer analyze it (gases, electronics etc.) If you are 'handy with your hands' tale a look at

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs.htm

and check some of the items out. Bad plugs, wire connections and injectors are more common than you might think. If you really wish to confirm/nail the problem, consider switching components as described in

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Repairs_Two_Engines_In_One.htm

Good luck. let us all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank for the info....

I knew Lamboweb had a repair section, and even found that's what the P1303 code was for. What I didnt realize is how often the site owner updates the site, half the stuff wasnt there until I checked the link again on John's advice. :) That guy should be given a trophy for such a free resource for the 6.0 and its quirks. Awesome stuff. From what I read:

- Injectors - Not likely, catalyst light isnt coming on.

- Plugs/Coils - Could be

- Engine Misfire Sensor - Hose may be loose going to sensor. Thankfully, this is a super simple fix of just tightening the hose, or even swapping it from L to R to see if the problem "follows".

I do have an ODBII scanner at home, so that'll aid me in my quest.

No clue where the spark plugs are on the Diablo, looks like they are inside the coil under the center "row" of the engine under that metal guard with the firing order.

Should make for some weekend fun. :) Will keep the group posted.

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John -- Still reading the lamboweb, didnt realize it is your brain child. You rock man, thanks!

-Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey John....

Looked fairly simple for a non-mechanic like me. :) From what I read:

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Repairs_Plug_Coils.htm

...looks like by removing the coils, you then grab your spark plug socket (which I have!) and unscrew the plug from the engine.....

Aside from the obvious of wearing gloves, labeling the coils, etc., I think it'll take about 2 hours from start to finish.

Question: Which side of the engine am I actually testing? The Left engine light is on, so would that be the drivers side or passenger side of the cars engine? Since it's just one light on, I'd presume I just have to check one side and not the other, or is it best to do both?

Thanks!

-Ben

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and I'm leaning more towards misfire sensor hose being loose since I don't feel any loss of power or sluggishness..................

-Ben

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ben, the cylinders are numbered 1-6 passanger side, with 1 being closest to the passanger seat, 6 at the back of the car. 7 to 12 on driver side. 7 at back of car 12 closest to drivers seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ben,

If you need some help,Id be more that happy to help out.One cylinder misfire out of twelve is hard to tell performance wise because it may be eratic.I could tell because my engine would actually vibrate(move) at idle and it should be smooth.When I purchased my car originally,I was plagued with these problems.Turns out that the car was serviced at a Lambo dealership and they had actually set the spark plug gap to wide.I replaced the plugs,set the gap correctly and the problem never returned.

Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Joe........... Sounds like it might be fun weekend work. I don't have your phone number though -- mine is 941-773-7833, [email protected]

Been meaning to pull the driveshaft too! :)

-Ben

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Ben,

I get the same engine misfire code when my car battery is low and I try to start it. For some reason after driving for more than 50 miles, the misfire does not come back anymore. It seems like the computer resets itself. Now, I just keep the car on a battery tender. No more dead battery, no more misfires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. The car has had 3 batteries replaced in it because Busta Rhymes never drove it. I'll try giving it a charge and then resetting the code. That'd be one fun trick if it fixes it!

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
bentasm1 said:
Interesting. The car has had 3 batteries replaced in it because Busta Rhymes never drove it. I'll try giving it a charge and then resetting the code. That'd be one fun trick if it fixes it!

Thanks,

-Ben
Ben,

After you do the battery charging, warm up your engine and go drive around. Make sure you vary your RPMs from idle to WOT. It might throw the code again. Go back reset the ECU, and drive again. After about 50 miles of driving the misfire should disappear. I've done this both times my battery went low. It seems to work everytime. Next time, I visit Platinum Motors, I 'll still have them check if it being caused by something else.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts